Best stick for online PC gaming (fighters)?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I felt this was the best forum to ask - I'm looking to get into some KOF XIII and SF IV on PC. I'll pick the games up via Steam, but I wanted to know what you all thought was the best stick with PC capability?

A few different price options would be great.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The madcatz TE sticks are probably the best you can grab unless you're looking to make your own. Almost any 360 controller that can connect via USB will work with windows.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That's the feedback I've been getting. So Madcatz TE do a number of different sticks?

urmyokazu

New Challenger
Another alternative is a Qanba stick. I've got the Qanba Q4 and works great on ps3/xbox360/pc.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Unless you're planning on ever playing on a PS3 don't get a PS3 stick. Some motherboard chipsets have issues with them. 360 works right out of the box, no fuss. Don't bother paying extra for a dual-modded Qanba/eightarc/whatever if you're just going to play on PC anyways. Just about every stick over $80ish has the same parts in it. Look for a Sanwa JLF stick and Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons. As long as you've got those you're good to go. Keep an eye out for major fighting game tournaments, Mad Catz (yes that Mad Catz, their sticks are actually the industry standard) will usually run a deal that weekend and you can save $50+ if you don't want to buy used. Capcom Cup is the next one I can think of, some time in December.

As for price points, get a MadCatz TE. They're ubiquitous and reasonably priced. There's really no reason to get anything more expensive if you just want to play on PC. Also check out GGPO and Supercade to play fighting game/Neo Geo classics on PC. KoF XIII seems to have problems reading some Hori sticks (like mine) so stay away from those to be safe.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Awesome, thanks for your advice, dude.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Have a PS2 stick? Just get a decent converter. A PS2 stick and converter together might even be cheaper than an xbox 360 stick, maybe. Using a dual shock would be a neat bonus option.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I'd be worried about lag with that converter but I would be interested to see how well it works.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
No, I don't have a PS2 stick.

After all the advice given I think I'm going to pick up a MadCatz TE.

Cheers fellas!

Ghudda

New Challenger
I lucked out and stumbled across a Madcatz Street Fighter 4 TE Stick that had been modified with the TE Kitty multi-platform mod locally. I've been able to use the fighstick on every console from my NES and PC Engine to my PS3/360 and PC. The Madcatz route is the way to go and definitely look into one of the multi platform mods, such as Cthulu. Working with what you already have is always a good idea as well. These days, there are adapters for almost virtually everything.

negsense

n00b
I have a Madcatz TE stick and couldn't be happier. The components are top notch and you can find a lot of cool mods for it. Check out this site here:

http://www.focusattack.com/

If you get the 360 stick and want it to work on PS3 you can check out this board:

http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/

Also, if you decide to travel with your stick, I'd recommend this: http://www.focusattack.com/phreak-mods-the-link-lanyard-with-shaft-stub-attachment/

It lets you easily pull off the joystick so you can put the whole thing in a bag without damaging it. I was able to find a lot of TE's on Craigslist here but your mileage may vary.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Both PS360 and MC Cthulhu will allow you to play on PS2 and DC. MC Cthulhu has a wider list of old console support (notably PCE/TG16) and can be used with an Imp to maintain 360 functionality.

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I was thinking of picking up a Mad Catz stick for the PC/PS4 but Mad Catz has a cool new marketing strategy where unless you pre-order a stick you can't get one as they are already sold out prior to the fucking release date. Why as a company you would want to produce such limited quantities that you cannot even stock them for release is beyond me. The current worldwide shortage of plastic must be holding up production in China :thevt:.

So, I guess I will try and find a used 360 one on ebay/craigslist.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've always wondered why Mad Catz makes their cases so intricate with different parts and pieces, it's so unnecessary, doesn't look as good as many other sticks comparable in price. They must have some idiot engineers that don't know shit about production or costs. The cases they have made have all been so so. The Tekken vs SF is actually pretty nice.

OP, you can get any Mad Catz 360 stick, TE is just a series but there are more so if you look under TE you're gonna get just that. Ebay has some Mad Catz sticks ending soon and not going for a lot of money, any of them will do, it can be any of them, don't be afraid.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
gum chap, just any random stick and put a ps360 in it. it has ps4 support now.

I have a hayabusa hori real arcade pro v4 stick for ps4/PS3...it is sub compatible but I have yet to try it on my pic... I will probably try it out tomorrow. Does anyone know if it will work? Just an FYI my pc is an Alienware alpha

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I have a hayabusa hori real arcade pro v4 stick for ps4/PS3...it is sub compatible but I have yet to try it on my pic... I will probably try it out tomorrow. Does anyone know if it will work? Just an FYI my pc is an Alienware alpha

Yeah. It will work.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
I use a Qanba stick that is compatable with ps3, 360 and pc. I got this used on the cheap at a local place called trade it. Im not too sure how easy it is to mod this though if you wanted to switch stuff out.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
When I use a stick I use a HORI Real Arcade Pro VX SA, made for 360, works great on PC. Solid piece of equipment.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
FYI I ended up going the MadCatz TE2 SF4 stick. I found some NOS locally and got one for $200.

It's great, alas, it's boxed and hasn't had much use lately due to my move and dedicated time going to Hearthstone and D3.

It feels really solid though and I'm glad I went with this based on the feedback here. The only issue I have is that the ball top seems to slip often, like it never feels like it's screwed on tight. Not sure if that intended (I doubt it) but it can be distracting.

When I get it out of storage I'll have to have a proper look at it.