What System has the best Shooters?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The Jaguar Raiden port is quite good.

Unlike that shit SNES version.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Actually pretty true.. good port indeed.

There is a game that was never finished called Native, that had huge promise. If you have any way to play homebrew on the Jag you can download the first level.. Pretty R-Typish

Oddly enough, in a round about way, became Sturmwind for the Dreamcast in the end.

Also, Dreamcast has all my favourite Shmups: ZG2, Ikaruga, Border Down, Mars Matrix, GigaWing, UDefeat etc. PS1 has it's own thing going on too with the likes of Zanac x Zanac, Gradius Gaiden, R-Type Delta, Raiden DX, Einhander, Raystorm etc as well as many of the Saturn library (inc. superior ports of DP & DDP).

As others have stated, you really need a mix and match of libraries to get the most out of the genre...

yoyo

n00b
PC Engine/TG-16 and the Neo*Geo have both given me some of the best shmup experiences I've endured as of yet. And, I know it's a little basic and mainstream for some tastes here, but some shmups I've run across on the SNES were enjoyable too. It's really hard to pick just one though, if I absolutely had to I'd probably go with the PCE.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Saturn > PlayStation > Dreamcast > PC Engine > Genesis > PlayStation 2 > NES > Super NES > Master System > everything else

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Japanese PS2 and 360 are all you really need for shmups. The Saturn used to be king of the genre, but a lot of its shmups have been obsoleted by MAME or superior ports elsewhere. Before you cry foul on MAME, know that the Saturn ports of Donpachi and DDP have some significant imperfections and can't be used for scoring competitions.

Dimahoo (on CPS2) and Donpachi emulation has been essentially perfect for a long, long time.

Last edited:

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
What about the PS1 versions? I always heard that Do/DonPachi were better on the PS1 than on the Saturn, though I haven't tried them on there yet to say for sure.

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I don't know about the PS1 port of Donpachi, other than that it's still not arcade perfect.

DDP is definitely better on the PS1, but it still has some issues and it totally omits the ship select screen (have to do it in options), which is still present on Saturn.

I wish Cave had done an XBLA collection of DP/DDP with Campaign Edition included. I wonder if that will ever get dumped. We only managed to get the Guwange Blue Arrange rom because Cave put it on the XBLA version.

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Neo Geo: Pulstar, Last Resort, ASO II, Sonic Wings 2,3 , Ghost Pilots
All the above are better than any Mega drive or Snes smup.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Im not that big into shooters but like everyone else I've played great shooters on the pce (lords of thunder, soldier blade) , saturn (rs, sengoku blade, hyper duel), genny (tf3, musha), ps2 (espgaluda, ibara) dreamcast (ikaruga, under defeat). These are just to name a few.

Last edited: