Retro system clones - anything perfect available?

takuguy

n00b
Hoping that the Retron 5 lives up to its promise. Can't really squeeze one more system in my entertainment center, and I'd hate to put a system in storage. Between my PS4, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, SNES, and N64 I really only have space for one more.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Perfect? nothing is better than the original hardware, but the clones are getting better and better with age and production. Let's see how the RetroN 5 plays out, I'll definitely let everyone here know how it works once I get it

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
For me I found a decent substitute for all my Metal Slug cravings was Metal Slug Anthology for the Playstation 2. Not complete authentic as the real thing (there is no subistuite for metal slug unless its on an MVS!! :glee:) but it does the trick when I need to ROCKET LAWNCHAIR!

Also have you maybe looked into emulation? most games on NES/SNES/Gameboy/Genesis ect ect run decent and pop in a controller and your ready for some sweet gaming action.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Shitty clones/ports/emulation compilations seriously piss me off. It's like buying a DVD or Blu-ray only to find out the transfer is terrible. One has to dig for real reviews of this shit because I am convinced the major sites that cover these don't even try them... they just write a review based on nostalgia for the original. Case and point - the fairly recent IGN article about the Neo Geo X.

I have enough original stuff still around for the average normals to question my sanity... but it wasn't always like that. I wasted a lot of money on crap like this as a noob, or as someone just so infatuated with a game that I would like a way to make it run on various systems so I can play it more often and for convenience.

Last edited:

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Yeah that's just the way it is. The further you get in to any hobby, the higher your standards of satisfaction will be. Just look at all the audiophiles around these days. They spend a crazy amount of money on things that make small improvements to their experience. Things that most people would never notice. I'm sure that's how people think of this hobby as well.

It's a black hole and once you see it, you're never getting out.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Haha so true. Well said. I am budding A/V nerd too. I am interested in too many hobbies that I can't really afford!

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Haha so true. Well said. I am budding A/V nerd too. I am interested in too many hobbies that I can't really afford!

I'm in the same boat as you, Neo. Between games (Neo especially), records, comic books (kind of stopped), and random novelties, it's just gets out of hand. So little money, so many opportunities!

Edit: I was definitely looking into getting the RetroN 5, but I've been kind of skeptical with the remade stuff. I almost bought a portable SNES, but I heard terrible reviews on it. Saved myself $85 bucks.

Last edited:

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
I just got into my collection and im already addicted LOL Too bad the money is short these days or I might go off the deep end :rolleyes:

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have a RetroDuo that works good for SNES titles but the audio is awful for NES titles. It also keeps the 4:3 ratio and on one of my TVs had to use an RF converter and looks horrible. I ended up packing that into storage and going with HBC emulators and VC ports on my WiiU/vWii. Super Metroid WiiU VC was nice to have the Off-TV play. They also have Earthbound for $10 on the eShop.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
The recently released Super Retro Trio seems pretty well-received so far. The SNES side is perfect (plays SA-1, SFX fine), as is the Genesis side after a simple 1-wire mod (plays Virtua Racing). NES, not so much.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The recently released Super Retro Trio seems pretty well-received so far. The SNES side is perfect (plays SA-1, SFX fine), as is the Genesis side after a simple 1-wire mod (plays Virtua Racing). NES, not so much.

Idk why, but the NES side of most of these SOAC systems seems lacking and has the most drastic changes in sound quality.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Idk why, but the NES side of most of these SOAC systems seems lacking and has the most drastic changes in sound quality.

I had a Retro Duo for a while. The SNES side was pretty near perfect, but the NES one had screechy sound and washed out color. I use legit consoles now, but it was a pretty good way to get my start in retro gaming.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
Sure its nice saving space with a multi-console or having modern video-out options , but I won't ever buy a clone / knockoff . I can understand that they are preferred by some gamers though.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
None of it is perfect because the original hardware is emulated on new chips. For what the original systems cost i cant understand why people even bother with these knock offs.

I have an early 90's famiclone, which is made of cloned chips (all the chips in the original famicom were cloned). The clone CPU and PPU were replaced by original CPU and PPU from a FUBAR NES and now my famiclone behaves 100% the same as an original famicom (tested with FDS and akumajo densetsu)

Regards.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The Atari Flashback 2 and 2+ are literally shrunk down Atari 2600s with 40-something built in games, including homebrews, Activision games, Atari classics, and brand new original games. They even have instructions silk-screened onto their PCBs for the user to add a real 2600 cartridge port. They are compatible with original controllers and accessories and they even have composite video output, much better than the stock RF out on those old systems. And of course, the new controllers that came with the Flashback systems work with original systems.

But only the 2 and the 2+ are real hardware. Any and all other Atari Flashback units are emulation based, with the first being the worst by far.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Had a retron 2 a couple years back. My ikari warriors got stuck and ripped off the motherboard. Then I read that some clones and replacement 72 pin connectors are larger than OEM.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
The Atari Flashback 2 and 2+ are literally shrunk down Atari 2600s with 40-something built in games, including homebrews, Activision games, Atari classics, and brand new original games. They even have instructions silk-screened onto their PCBs for the user to add a real 2600 cartridge port. They are compatible with original controllers and accessories and they even have composite video output, much better than the stock RF out on those old systems. And of course, the new controllers that came with the Flashback systems work with original systems.

But only the 2 and the 2+ are real hardware. Any and all other Atari Flashback units are emulation based, with the first being the worst by far.

Huh, I never knew about that... Now I actually have a use for my Atari Flashback 2. You learn something new every day I guess.