Art of Fighting 2 - Why did I put this game off?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
This game, this son of a bitch right here.

I never really got many chances to play this back in the day, and when I did, the difficulty really put me off.

Art of Fighting was one of the first Neo games I ever saw, and it was one of the first games I could play frequently, locally as I was growing up. I love the game even though it's a bit stiff and bare bones.

Well, I recently picked up an mvs copy of AoF2 and spent some more time with it recently. This game is fucking awesome. I regret not giving it a chance back in the day, and I'm glad I picked it up. The moves, the animation, the colors and the music - all much improved. The gameplay, backgrounds, and the trash talk between characters are pretty damn awesome as well.

Of course the difficulty is brutal still, but I'm having fun with it, and I know there are "better" fighters on the Neo, but if you are on the fence I'd say give this game a shot.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
3 is even better, shit will blow your socks off with animation and size of characters.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah 3 looks awesome as well, one day I'll save up and hopefully score a copy of it.
Also I'd like to add that Yuri is a straight up vapid bitch. She looks down on everyone's looks in most of her dialogue, and when I was playing against her as Mr Big, she had the nerve to insult my follically challenged head.

I will make her want my bald dome, and I'm sure her lower half stinks of sweat and tuna. Who the fuck wears yoga pants with high tops anyways?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
2 and 3 are completely different games. I really like 2's style and music -it felt more like a beatem up disguised as a fighting game. It was so personalized, and every character had their own story. Some of the win quotes were even character-specific.

Art of Fighting 2 had patterns all over the place, though. If you played it enough, you could blow through the game with ease. You could repeatedly dizzy characters if you picked somebody with a fireball --just throw your opponent, and if they didn't tech, as they got up, time your fireball to hit them right as they stood. They'd always get hit, and be dizzy afterward. You could time other moves to hit as they got up, too.

Great game, and really fun.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Agreed. AOF2 is a great game. I love the entire series.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yep, I'm already starting to see some of this. One thing I've also noticed is that sometimes my throws on an opponent will damage for wildly different amounts even though I will throw them after they do the same move to me. I'm not sure if it's sensitive to how long you hold the C button or not though, I've just chalked it up to an evil, self-aware AI. Either way I kind of like that because it's variable, and fights should be that way.

2 and 3 are completely different games. I really like 2's style and music -it felt more like a beatem up disguised as a fighting game. It was so personalized, and every character had their own story. Some of the win quotes were even character-specific.

Art of Fighting 2 had patterns all over the place, though. If you played it enough, you could blow through the game with ease. You could repeatedly dizzy characters if you picked somebody with a fireball --just throw your opponent, and if they didn't tech, as they got up, time your fireball to hit them right as they stood. They'd always get hit, and be dizzy afterward. You could time other moves to hit as they got up, too.

Great game, and really fun.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Always throw Yuri after she tries that butt attack. You'll get it 99% of the time.

AOF2 is alot of fun to play with friends.

Given of course you know how to do the desperation moves!

If you'll even ever get the chance to unleash one... those taunts! ORA ORA!! I'M TAKING YOUR POWER AWAY.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I made a video out of a conversation that started on Facebook. But this is just some of the stuff you can do in this game. The video posted above is so tedious and wouldn't be fun to do at all. Check it out:

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I always loved the AoF series' unique approach to super meter mechanics and power regulation, and I wish they had caught on somewhere else. Other than with certain characters in Street Fighter III, I can't think of another fighter where taunting is an important part of playing the game.

AoF2 doesn't get the love it should because it has probably the cheapest AI in the history of the genre. With another human player, it's heaven. Aesthetics aside, I prefer it to AoF3, because it doesn't attempt to graft 3D fighter gameplay onto a 2D game.

Last edited:

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
The AoF series is well worth buying for the Neo Geo as Art of Fighting 3 has some of the best sprites I have ever seen.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Art of Fighting as a whole is one of my favorite fighting series ever, and so far the only series I went out of my way to get a complete set on homecart. Still 3 of my most played carts. AoF2 still slaps me around harder than any other Neo Geo game, and it's still one of my faves. To this day I have yet to beat Geese Howard at the end of AoF2 (been stuck there for nearly 8 years now)

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
8 Years!!!?!?!
You have the patience of a saint man. I could not let that slide, it would consume me to my core.
Which of the 3 is your favorite out of curiosity?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
See, that's a really hard question! I love AoF1 for the tunes, and I got good enough at it I can 1cc it with reasonable regularity. So that makes it a very fequent go to game when I just wanna pop something in. I love AoF2 because it improved on the original in -every- single way. But man, that difficulty has teeth! And AoF3 is just so amazing both artistically and gameplay wise, in my opinion. I -love- the way fights and combos flow in 3.

But I do find myself missing the characters from 2's roster, in spite of really loving the new crew for 3... Hmmm.

In the end, I think I gotta narrowly give it to AoF2. Very narrowly! And now I've a mad AoF itch to scratch :D

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Yeah, all this talk makes me want to play as well - think I'm going to play some more AoF2 later tonight.

Kingrat101

n00b
Holy crap! I'm really glad you guys put up some tutorials, this game has kicked my ass for years.
Im going to have to try this out later on tonight

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Having only recently finished the original (god it's a tough game) I just started playing the sequel.

I've yet to get into it properly but really like it so far...

It was one if the first games I played on my own MVS cabinet (The original that is) and was hooked with the series straightaway with the massive sprites.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Having only recently finished the original (god it's a tough game) I just started playing the sequel.

I've yet to get into it properly but really like it so far...

It was one if the first games I played on my own MVS cabinet (The original that is) and was hooked with the series straightaway with the massive sprites.
If you think it's tough to beat, try beating Geese Howard.
I like how the AOF games have more strategy than a lot of fighters. Most of the AI opponents are a lot easier to beat if their spirit energy is drained.
The hug sprites were something AOF had that other Neo Geo fighters didn't really have (except Samurai Shodown, to a lesser extent, especially SSV and SSVS with characters like Kusaregedo).

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I never really got too into this series... maybe I should give it another chance. Seems like people thing AOF 3 is the more polished game but it does not have the same charm the second has...

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
If you think it's tough to beat, try beating Geese Howard.
I like how the AOF games have more strategy than a lot of fighters. Most of the AI opponents are a lot easier to beat if their spirit energy is drained.
The hug sprites were something AOF had that other Neo Geo fighters didn't really have (except Samurai Shodown, to a lesser extent, especially SSV and SSVS with characters like Kusaregedo).

I've played Fatal Fury but never reached the last battle with Geese Howard... I do love Fatal Fury as well :D

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If all else fails, play Fatal Fury using 1P + 2P vs. CPU. It's probably the only fighting game that allows it.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Guilty Gear Isuka 1P + 2P vs. CPU sets up for some chaotic madness very very soon once your survival level gets high enough. Off topic, I know, but worth mentioning as it is another game that allows for co-op 2 player fighting action.

fluxcore

Another Striker
The street fighter alpha series has 'dramatic battle' mode which has 1p+2p vs CPU. There are some pretty cool combo vids up for them.

I just received AoF1 last night, and... it's pretty different to what I'm used to, hah! Will need to give it some more time (and some video research!)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
How to beat Geese Howard: bait out his buzzsaw move, and always throw him after it. If you're not close enough to throw him after a buzzsaw, then crouch jab (he will block), and he will almost always do another one. He fucking loves that move. He doesn't need spirit to do it (or any other special), so he will hop around the stage doing that all day if you let him. If you land a throw, and he techs it, still follow up with a fireball. It will hit him, but not dizzy him. Damage is damage, so after you hit him, try to set him up for another buzzsaw. I like to open the round by jumping straight at him with a jumping jab or kick. It seems to be 50/50 that he responds with a buzzsaw. But yeah, every time you throw him, try to dizzy with the fireball on wakeup: