One thick, wavy vertical line on 25" monitor. Neo Candy Cab U-4 (pictures inside)

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Turned on the cab today to play some Metal Slug and was greeted with this line dancing up and down my screen. :lolz: It's fairly faint, but you can see it in this image. It moves quite a bit. First picture below is of the screen, second picture is of the back of the monitor, so you can see which one I have. Thanks for any help. :scratch:

4cwx.jpg

w83e.jpg

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Has anyone else had a problem like this? I just had the caps replaced and the screen degaussed and there's no difference. Is there anything anyone can sort of point me to?

This is a 25" screen.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
I feel your pain... I also have an MVS-U4, and tech support specific to this machine is tricky. I have a different issue, and so far I've made no real progress.

Simple stuff... have you unplugged and reseated all the connectors on the chassis and neckboard? Also, do you have another 4-slot mobo you can test with?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5528.html
weirdverticalcrap.jpg

This you? or maybe just your old cab? I've found 'help' threads on several forums from previous owners of my cab, hehe.

Anyway, seems like it was a sync issue, and that the OP over there solved it.

Last edited:

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I tested it with a Hyper 64 and a PGM board...same problem.

That guy on the other forum seemed to have the same problem and fixed it, but I don't understand HOW he fixed it. Can anyone else help me out here?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Looks like it could be power related. How's your power supply? Do you have good readings out to your components. I'd check that first before going on.

There are a couple things that could cause this, and the monitor may need a new set of capacitors or possibly a new flyback transformer. None of these are very serious, but depending on your knowledge and skill set, you may need someone to help you as that monitor must be discharged before doing any soldering work.

Edit: Didn't read the whole thread. OK, I see you already had the caps replaced. Did you do that yourself? How does the flyback look?

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I was reading up on my monitor as well, I saw a few things written about replacing the voltage regulator on the chassis and that seemed to clear up some peoples issuses with lines moving around on the screen...

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
I have the same issue on my MVS-U4 as NeoEsZ.....but my vertical line isn't as thick/wide. Never really bothered me...although I suppose if the line got thicker then it'd be an issue. Does anyone have a picture of the voltage regulator on the chassis for referencing?

Also, does the vertical line thickness shrink in size after cab warm up or stay present as shown in the fist posting/picture?

Last edited:

bochi

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have that same cab and almost identical problem but instead of vertical line its horizontal. Finding support for that chasis have been a pain and I need a new flayback for my chasis but I haven't found one.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I will take a bunch of detailed pics of the monitor either tonight or tomorrow night with my girlfriend's nice camera. If any of you have any suggestions for which component to replace, and can point it out in the picture, that would be helpful.

The problem is present and identical when I use a PGM mobo, a Hyper 64 rev2 mobo and an MVS 2 slot.

The line stays the same the entire time the monitor is powered on. Some games have a lot going on screen, so it's barely noticeable (like Metal Slug 3, Garou, etc.)

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Many months later and I still have the same issue. It hasn't gotten worse though. Anyone here solve their problem or know which components I should replace?

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I had the same issue, thick wavy line on the left side of the screen. I have a Wells Gardner K7000 series chasssis. I contacted "therealbobroberts" and bought a new cap kit, new flyback and a HOT transistor along with a voltage regulator. This solved the problem, no wavy lines and the screen clarity and colors are now AMAZING.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I have a Wells Gardner K7000 series chasssis. This solved the problem, no wavy lines and the screen clarity and colors are now AMAZING.

Ppl underestimate WG K7xxxs. Mine with my Tosh tube has a great picture. Compared to Nanao the chassis is also much easier to work on and great for newer ppl to learn from in the hobby.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Ppl underestimate WG K7xxxs. Mine with my Tosh tube has a great picture. Compared to Nanao the chassis is also much easier to work on and great for newer ppl to learn from in the hobby.

I completely agree. I'm actually very surprised, after shotgunning all those new parts onto the chassis I couldn't believe how vivid the colors were, plus with the new flyback I adjusted the sharpness...to me it looks just as good as my Sega candy cabs...that being said i only play low res MVS games in it, but yes, the picture is now amazing and the geometry is 95% spot on. Plus it's easy to get parts for.

How can I find the make and model of my monitor?

As I recall, theres a sticker on the tube...probably a Toshiba, I think mine may have been a Zenith...and then I do believe there was a sticker either on the chassis itself or it may have been on the metal tray/frame underneath the chassis...I can't exactly remember off hand...eitherway there should be a sticker on or very near the chassis...

Assumming you have a K7000...I remember reading at some point WG subcontracted with another company (possibly Zenith, I don't exactly recall anymore) for a short while, these chassis were a bit different from the WGK7000's and a tad inferior and used different flybacks that are not interchangeable with the replacment flybacks Bob Roberts has instock...so it may be worth investigating to make sure you have a WG manufactured chassis...

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I was reading up on my monitor as well, I saw a few things written about replacing the voltage regulator on the chassis and that seemed to clear up some peoples issuses with lines moving around on the screen...

I'd go with this as well. I've had similar (not exactly the same) issues and found the B+ voltage too high due to a regulator. Replaced it and it was all good.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
What does a voltage regulator on one of these monitors look like? Where can I get one?