CoreGrafx RGB mod howto (now with decent pictures!)

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hello,

I know this is not neo-related, but I think it was good to share.

Spent some time modding my coregrafx, in order to get RGB/Stereo output.
Parts needed are an 8 pin DIN connector, and an optional RGB ampli circuit (I bought both on Otakustore along some middlegear fro CDRom2…AFAIK it is the only place where you can find it).

There are already a couple of guides around, but not really specific for Coregrafx and/or IMO not 100% clear on how to recycle the DIn connector base, in order to avoid to drill the PCB (but let's say it, in most of those guides, pictures are not exactly great...the internet needs more pictures ya know..this is the main reason I posted).

So, let's start:

after dismount the unit, you can accesss the main PCB, where the AV connector is:

core_grafx_rgb_mod01.jpg

Quick&clean desoldering, very important in order to reuse the connector:

core_grafx_rgb_mod03.jpg

core_grafx_rgb_mod02.jpg

Now, the nice trick explained on the guides, remove the base from the connector (clips)

core_grafx_rgb_mod04.jpg

the parts are perfectly interchangeable, but the 8 pin DIN new connector has front pins slightly distant from each other (note, the three RGB extra pin legs of the new connector, has been cuted already, so they won't interfere with the positioning, cables will be soldered directly)

core_grafx_rgb_mod05.jpg

so let's attach the original connector base to the 8 pin DIN one, so the front original front pins will fit perfectly, holding still the connector (this pic maybe is showing better the result):
core_grafx_rgb_mod06.jpg

Tap RGB from the last pins of the EXT bus
(some hot glue to keep them aligned is nice)

core_grafx_rgb_mod07.jpg

time to flip the cables on the upper side of the PCB, optionally putting an inline amplifier.

core_grafx_rgb_mod08.jpg

the usual placement for the circuit
core_grafx_rgb_mod10.jpg

Following the guides, I picked +5v and Ground directly from the 7805 regulator

core_grafx_rgb_mod09.jpg

Final result

core_grafx_rgb_mod11.jpg

the connector is indeed identical to the orginal, so no ugly holes etc..

core_grafx_rgb_mod13.jpg

core_grafx_rgb_mod12.jpg

Picture quality is awesome,colors are brilliant and no sign of brightness bars/blur even on dark images.

result.jpg

..that's it, hope this could be helpful to someone attempting the mod as well (^_^)

…now next task, troubleshoot the CDRom2…already changed the middlegear, but even if it is booting the game, it is not able to get all the tracks, so it freezes after searching for a while…seems improving if left on for some minute, so maybe it is "just" a recap…any hint is welcome!

Massi

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice clean work Massi.That is such a simple mod to do and very clean.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys, it is indeed a simple mod, but the connector pin swap can really save the day, so I thought it was good to share.
The best part is that original composite output and pinout is preserved, so the original cable will still work.

rcantor, I tried to register in there some days ago, but no luck yet... it is my understanding there is some policy going on, so I wrote to aaron presenting myself...anyway, if someone could make intervention that would be really appreciated!!

In the meanwhile, some other screenshot about replacing the damn middlegear, I had 2 CDRom2 units, one came back to life as soon the gear has been changed...awesome! (the other..well you know)

New gear bought on otakustore:
pce-cdrom2-gear-fix1.jpg

old cheesy gear
pce-cdrom2-gear-fix2.jpg

Swap procedure (take care of the sieger ring!)
pce-cdrom2-gear-fix3.jpg

pce-cdrom2-gear-fix4.jpg

Here you go!
pce-cdrom2-gear-fix5.jpg

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Professional looking work. Nice job and nice tutorial!

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
super clean mod !! you're giving pce the respect it deserves :D

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
:eek: Very nice! I need that RGB amp. Is there a US seller?

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Always love seeing PC engines brought back. There are so many cd units out there that were just made cheaply and have died from normal use

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Nice clean install... from someone who sucks at de-soldering. :D

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
decent pictures indeed. Nicely done.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I had some troubles at first doing the transistor based RGB amp for mine.

But I redid the whole thing and came out beautifully.

Massimiliano, the only thing I did different from you, was that I left the amp outside the
console. Got a nice black little box and made it look like those official SEGA RGB
Mega Drive french cables.

For those who don't want to build the amp, those SEGA 3085 RGB Cables are also
a very cool alternative. They're mono wired, but they are easily modifiable for stereo.
Basically the only thing you have to do is to swap the Din5 to a Din8 and wire it.
The Sega RGB amp'ed cable will do the rest.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
If you ever wanna re home the PC-e let me know! the wife will make me sleep on the couch for a week but who cares when you can play Y's books all night!

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Nice tutorial, the end result looks great. Will follow this if I ever come across a coregrafx

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Excellent work bud.......... Now if I can only persuade you to sell me that CDROM 2 :drool_2:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
what game is the screen shot from? Looks like a gundam game of some sort. Only reason I say that is it looks like a Zaku in the bottom left corner

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Very Nice work and tutorial here. I checked out that French Otaku site printed on the amp, they have some nice stuff. Prices are kinda steep, but definitely a nice resource for that middle gear especially.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Excellent - really clean, factory OEM style mod. Its just so surprising that the manufacturer could not be bothered to add this functionality in stock form - in mass production, the additional cost would be negligible and RGB output could be a selling point / marketing angle.
Then again, looking at other consoles from that time e.g. AES, where every board revision needs some tweeks for proper video output and the lame PAL 50hz versions of the Mega Drive / SNES it just seems that manufacturers were not that bothered with quality back then.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks everybody, I like macro picz you know..~

The game is Spriggan Mk.II, the green "zaku" is actually soldier behind the armored unit...great game.

Atro, nice advice for the "RGB Booster Pod"...it make sense especially if you have many consoles.

Anyway, my advice for those attempting this or any mod, is to invest some bucks on a desoldering station...it is work all the money, even if you use it few times!

P.s.

Sorry I'm not selling!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Very nice work and I love that amp size.

I wonder how it's output quality compares to the SC1815 transistor amp design?

I just checked that otakus-store.net and ouch...26 Euros for that amp is a bit high.