New around here, but had an AES back in the day...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Hello all!

Now that my account is activated and I can do something around here thought I should at least say hi.

I'd originally bought an AES gold system in late '91 when I was 14. Gotta say it took forever to get the $650 together to buy one. I only ever had Fatal Fury & King Of The Monsters for it as new carts back then were $250+. I'd occasionally rent a game when I could make it to a place that rented them in the next town over.

But sometime in about '93 or '94 I wasn't working for a good while and sold my AES and most every other game stuff I had. And ever since then I've regretted getting rid of the AES more than anything else.

So, now it feels like it's time to finally get back into a Neo again. While waiting for account activation here I was asking my Neo questions over at Nintendo Age. After a bit of discussion and lack of a decent AES Gold system availability it seemed like a CMVS was the way to go until I came across an AES that fit the condition/price I could live with.

I loved the AES when I had it. And wanted another just like I had back in the day. But my bonus a week or so back wasn't big enough to pick up a nice complete in box Gold system. And was also having difficulty figuring out if an MVS converter was a decent option paired with a Japanese AES. But in the end I've decided to go with an Omega w/Virtual Memory card for now. Quan got in touch with me over at NA about it and I am just waiting to hear back from him on total shipped for an Omega, component cable, and a few MVS carts he had for sale as well.

Can't wait to be running a Neo Geo again. Even if for now it's not an AES like I once knew & loved.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Welcome to the forums, nice to see you here at last.

Don't get banned. ;)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hello...

Welcome.... play nice... or die...

xROTx

PS. HeavyMachineballs says hello too... he must love you a lot... cuz he nearly got killed for pm'ing me...
PPS. Please read Sig more carefully next time...

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Welcome, and man that's a lot of cash to spend on a console for a 14yearold back in 91 :lol:. You will love the Omega CMVS. I'm still wanting to get one but can't seem to find the funds lol.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Cool story, welcome to the boards.

Thanks. For the last 20 years when I've thought about some of my favorite gaming experiences I'm always reminded of the AES I used to own. And constantly regret having sold it. So with the bonus I've started getting at work I figured it's time for round 2 with a Neo. Would really love to go with the AES again. But ouch to the costs. Someday when I've got more easily disposable income... :)

Welcome to the forums, nice to see you here at last.

Don't get banned. ;)

It's nice to be allowed to play with you all at last. I've been told the really long account activation time was most likely to prevent flippers from joining. Which was kinda annoying as I've only sold 1 game in the last 12 years (Battlefield 3, hated it and was never going to touch it again).

Hello...

Welcome.... play nice... or die...

xROTx

PS. HeavyMachineballs says hello too... he must love you a lot... cuz he nearly got killed for pm'ing me...
PPS. Please read Sig more carefully next time...

As I'm super new here I'm going to guess that are yo not only a Mod here, but you're the one that activated my account. If so, thanks! And would also guess that HeavyMachineballs is Guntz over at Nintendo Age. Sorry if he annoyed you. He was being nice enough to try and help my account get activated over here as I'd mentioned I'd been waiting for a while with nothing happening.

Welcome, and man that's a lot of cash to spend on a console for a 14yearold back in 91 :lol:. You will love the Omega CMVS. I'm still wanting to get one but can't seem to find the funds lol.

Yes sir, it certainly was. I was only making $4.50/hour back then. Took months of working to save it all up. 4 months or so I think. And I was the only kid in school that had one since no one else had a job nor would any of their parents cough up that huge amount of cash for one.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
As I'm super new here I'm going to guess that are yo not only a Mod here, but you're the one that activated my account. If so, thanks! And would also guess that HeavyMachineballs is Guntz over at Nintendo Age. Sorry if he annoyed you. He was being nice enough to try and help my account get activated over here as I'd mentioned I'd been waiting for a while with nothing happening.

Rot is just being funny. Roll with the punches and you'll be fine here.

Viqor

n00b
Welcome to the party :). I've heard nothing but good things about the Omega CMVS, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it (plus, it does look a whole lot like an AES if you squint)

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Welcome to the party :). I've heard nothing but good things about the Omega CMVS, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it (plus, it does look a whole lot like an AES if you squint)

:lolz:

Yeah, I do like how the Omega is modeled to be similar in appearance to an AES. It helps with the nostalgia aspect that I'd be lacking if I went with a different CMVS. As beautiful as an Analogue CMVS is, it just doesn't seem right to be playing Neo Geo on a wooden console to me.

And I figure if I go CMVS now I'll have a decent collection of MVS carts should the day come around where I'd have room for a 4 slot big red. I came close to buying a 4 slot big red about 10 years ago. But missed out on one and since then haven't had the funds/space, or both to get one.

Viqor

n00b
:lolz:

Yeah, I do like how the Omega is modeled to be similar in appearance to an AES. It helps with the nostalgia aspect that I'd be lacking if I went with a different CMVS. As beautiful as an Analogue CMVS is, it just doesn't seem right to be playing Neo Geo on a wooden console to me.

And I figure if I go CMVS now I'll have a decent collection of MVS carts should the day come around where I'd have room for a 4 slot big red. I came close to buying a 4 slot big red about 10 years ago. But missed out on one and since then haven't had the funds/space, or both to get one.

I actually have an Analogue CMVS. It's beautifully built, but I totally understand when people say it would be weird for them to have a wooden console :D. And I'm totally in the same boat about getting a cab: maybe some day, but just not enough space at the moment.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I actually have an Analogue CMVS. It's beautifully built, but I totally understand when people say it would be weird for them to have a wooden console :D. And I'm totally in the same boat about getting a cab: maybe some day, but just not enough space at the moment.

I've done enough wood working to know that from what I can see in the pics the Analogue would be stunning in person. And I suppose that might be part of the reason I prefer an Omega. If I had something like an Analogue I'd want to have made it myself. With wood I selected myself.

And getting two sticks with an Analogue bumps the price way up there. Not saying they're not worth it. I'd just rather go original style AES sticks on an Omega for a lot less and get a bunch of games to go with. Different strokes for different folks...

Viqor

n00b
I've done enough wood working to know that from what I can see in the pics the Analogue would be stunning in person. And I suppose that might be part of the reason I prefer an Omega. If I had something like an Analogue I'd want to have made it myself. With wood I selected myself.

And getting two sticks with an Analogue bumps the price way up there. Not saying they're not worth it. I'd just rather go original style AES sticks on an Omega for a lot less and get a bunch of games to go with. Different strokes for different folks...

Yeah, even I don't have those sticks. The price is a bit...:eek:. Maybe some day. Actually, the only reason I have an Analogue is because I got a pretty good deal on a used one, so it ended up costing me less than a new Omega unit would have.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Washington D.C. or Washington state? Either way, welcome!

State. Everett more specifically. And thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Am looking forward to getting back into Neo carts, even though I'll be starting again with MVS carts instead of AES carts like I used to have back in the day. At least they play the same.

Yeah, even I don't have those sticks. The price is a bit...:eek:. Maybe some day. Actually, the only reason I have an Analogue is because I got a pretty good deal on a used one, so it ended up costing me less than a new Omega unit would have.

Can't fault you for picking up an Analogue for less than a new Omega would run you. Would be a shame to not have matching sticks eventually. Hope ya get there someday.

Quan got back to me on the package price for his new model Omega, component cable, and a few games. So once I work out the payment shortly I should have all of that on the way. And I should have my stick in from Japan before that gets here. Not much longer and I'll be back in the Neo game. :)

Viqor

n00b
Quan got back to me on the package price for his new model Omega, component cable, and a few games. So once I work out the payment shortly I should have all of that on the way. And I should have my stick in from Japan before that gets here. Not much longer and I'll be back in the Neo game. :)

Nice, man. Out of curiosity, what games are you getting?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Nice, man. Out of curiosity, what games are you getting?

Looking at picking up

The new version Omega w/Virtual Memory card onboard
Component video cable for the Omega
Aero Fighters 2
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 5 Plus
Samurai Showdown 4
Puzzle Bobble
King Of Fighters 94
King Of Fighters 97
King Of Fighters 2000

So I need to get that lot from him paid for and on the way. Then need to order up some Shocks & inserts for them all so I can kinda feel a little more like they're AES carts like I used to own, not MVS carts.

Got a feeling the majority of my disposable income is going to be headed towards MVS carts for a good while. Because my want list of stuff I used to play in arcades, actually owned, or occasionally rented is a lot bigger than the list of games I'm picking up with my Omega.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Welcome to the forums Bubba. I'm Omega CMVS owner as well, and you'll love every minute of it. I still consider myself to be a noob here, but vast majority of members here know their stuff and are cool. Waitaminute...where'd my copy of Pulstar go?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

Thanks! Nice to be able to actually post now that my account is activated. I had wanted to be here and posting and such a bit before I got back into another Neo of one sort or another. But for how long it took to get activated I'd already had the $ ready and was just waiting to be able to play here and get stuff ordered up.

Welcome to the forums Bubba. I'm Omega CMVS owner as well, and you'll love every minute of it. I still consider myself to be a noob here, but vast majority of members here know their stuff and are cool.

Well, I sent off payment for my Omega & MVS cart lot from Quan last night. So that should all be here soon. I also picked up Fatal Fury 3 & KOF '95 from Big Bear. Should have an hour or two's worth of fun when that all shows up... ;)

Do you have the new style Omega with onboard Virtual Memory card, or the original one? Mostly just curious I guess since I'll be able to see it all myself shortly.

Waitaminute...where'd my copy of Pulstar go?

I think the panda stole it.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

Well, here's the first wave of MVS stuff that I've picked up. I've got another 8 more carts on the way as well as another boxed original style stick. And trying really hard to resist the urge to pick even more up...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Well, here's the first wave of MVS stuff that I've picked up. I've got another 8 more carts on the way as well as another boxed original style stick. And trying really hard to resist the urge to pick even more up...

My advice… slow the fook down…. play your games…

Or you'll end up like some of the guys around here…. spent too much… can't feed the kids… wife leaves 'em…

xROTx

PS. Alternatively… you could end up one jaded old fook… err… like some of the old OLD wrinklies around here...