Best EURO SCART Switch for use with XRGB Mini?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I just got around to testing out my Genesis through my 5-port Bandridge switches (the manual model) and found that I only get video when I hook it up via the fifth port (the one marked VCR). Anyone else experience this? My other consoles, like my Super Nintendo, work via the other ports -- but for some reason the Genesis only likes port 5?

The video out on the Bandridge switch is going to my XRGB-mini euro SCART adapter -> XRGB-mini, not sure if that would make a difference -- but I currently don't have any PVMs or other means of displaying RGB besides the Framemeister.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I just got around to testing out my Genesis through my 5-port Bandridge switches (the manual model) and found that I only get video when I hook it up via the fifth port (the one marked VCR). Anyone else experience this? My other consoles, like my Super Nintendo, work via the other ports -- but for some reason the Genesis only likes port 5?

The video out on the Bandridge switch is going to my XRGB-mini euro SCART adapter -> XRGB-mini, not sure if that would make a difference -- but I currently don't have any PVMs or other means of displaying RGB besides the Framemeister.

That's very odd.

Are you using a sync stripper anywhere in the video chain?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
If it's any consolation, I don't have this issue with my Genny or MD 1st gen, nor my CDX. I have the same Bandbridge + XRGB mini set-up.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
That's very odd.

Are you using a sync stripper anywhere in the video chain?

I don't believe so but I'll double check. The Genny SCART cable was sold as having 'raw sync', but I just figured it was using the csync line as is. It's a model 2 US Genesis.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I think you bought two of the switches through the group buy. Does it happen on both?

And if so, if you have the switch empty with no other cables plugged in, does the genesis still only work on port 5?

If so, I am leaning towards something be up with the scart cable. Perhaps open the scart cable end and take a couple high res photos of how it's wired.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got my Genny cable connected to the first port, it's worked with several different systems. I do get a nasty hum in the audio so I use the audio out of the Sega CD instead.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I think you bought two of the switches through the group buy. Does it happen on both?

And if so, if you have the switch empty with no other cables plugged in, does the genesis still only work on port 5?

If so, I am leaning towards something be up with the scart cable. Perhaps open the scart cable end and take a couple high res photos of how it's wired.

Yeah it happens with both switches even if the Genny is the only connected source. I think you're right that it's something to do with my Genny SCART cable. Unfortunately the SCART side is glued shut on my cable so I can't open it without potentially breaking it. As such, it will just stay as input #5. Thanks for the input guys.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Hi there,

I'm also interested in knowing which euro scart switch performs best with the mini. I plan to connect the AES, Omega, Genesis Model 2, and rbg Modded SNES Mini to the framemeister.

So far, based on my research Shinybow is the best bet but it's really pricey and Bandridge is a crap shoot from what I read. Any other alternatives?

Thanks!

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm using a gscartsw... 8 ports... auto switching... pretty awesome... pricey and you'll most likely be in for a wait for its great

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

Hard to say whether this will solve your problem but this thread recommends cutting a trace going to port 5: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48460

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
So I've got the manual Bandridge, and I'm having no luck with it. Everything is darker and has a slight blue cast through the unit; my Saturn doesn't even light the little LED. Signal seems strong and never loses sync, but it definitely doesn't look as it should. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So I've got the manual Bandridge, and I'm having no luck with it. Everything is darker and has a slight blue cast through the unit; my Saturn doesn't even light the little LED. Signal seems strong and never loses sync, but it definitely doesn't look as it should. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Make sure your cables are properly wired.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Make sure your cables are properly wired.

Hmm. It'd have to be my male to male connector if anything, right? All systems work fine and connect to my xrgb properly when the switch and cable aren't in the signal chain.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I opened up my Male to Male SCART cable, and found this:

IMAG0287_zpsmeuyalgy.jpg

I checked continuity on the cable, and many of the connectors do not match side to side. Is this the way these things are supposed to be?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I opened up my Male to Male SCART cable, and found this:

IMAG0287_zpsmeuyalgy.jpg

I checked continuity on the cable, and many of the connectors do not match side to side. Is this the way these things are supposed to be?

Male to Male cables are not 1:1, the sync and a few others go from output line to input line. The output from the SCART box does use the output pins though so if you are using it for the output then it should be fine as long as the correct side is plugged into the output.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Male to Male cables are not 1:1, the sync and a few others go from output line to input line. The output from the SCART box does use the output pins though so if you are using it for the output then it should be fine as long as the correct side is plugged into the output.

Huh! SCART sure is weird. I've been hunting for a diagram of how Male to Male should be wired but I'm having no luck... is there one out there somewhere?

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
There is this one, but it doesn't seem to be the way mine is wired...

Scart-Cable-Connection-Diagram.gif

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
All systems work fine and connect to my xrgb properly when the switch and cable aren't in the signal chain.

I think that might be part of the issue.

Which model XRGB do you have?

Can you give us a complete breakdown of the signal chain? I.E. Console->Switch->Male to Male scart cable ->???

Are you using any Euro scart to JP21 adapters? How long is the male to male scart cable...etc.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I think that might be part of the issue.

Which model XRGB do you have?

Can you give us a complete breakdown of the signal chain? I.E. Console->Switch->Male to Male scart cable ->???

Are you using any Euro scart to JP21 adapters? How long is the male to male scart cable...etc.

I've got the XRGB Mini. I believe it is running the latest firmware; I updated it around a month ago.

My chain is:

Japanese Saturn (Victor JVC Unit) / Neo Geo Omega CMVS ----> European SCART ----> Switcher ---> European SCART Male to Male ----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini.

When I run either system as System -----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini, they work perfectly.

The male to male is about 3 feet, I believe? Might be four.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've got the XRGB Mini. I believe it is running the latest firmware; I updated it around a month ago.

My chain is:

Japanese Saturn (Victor JVC Unit) / Neo Geo Omega CMVS ----> European SCART ----> Switcher ---> European SCART Male to Male ----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini.

When I run either system as System -----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini, they work perfectly.

The male to male is about 3 feet, I believe? Might be four.

I have 2 thoughts on this:

1. Bandridge switch defective. That's always a possibility. I imported like 60+ of those models this year and users have had very, very little issue with them. But there is always the chance of a defective one.

2. Issues with that male to male scart cable going from the switch to the cable on the Mini. Does your EuroScart to XRGB cable have a built in sync stripper?

If not, I would personally eliminate the male to male scart cable and the Euro Scart to XRGB mini cable. Replace it with a Male Euro scart to XRGB mini cable. Instead of using 2 cables, replace them with a single, direct cable. I have heard of noise issues coming out of switches and going into the Mini using 2 cables like you do.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I have 2 thoughts on this:

1. Bandridge switch defective. That's always a possibility. I imported like 60+ of those models this year and users have had very, very little issue with them. But there is always the chance of a defective one.

2. Issues with that male to male scart cable going from the switch to the cable on the Mini. Does your EuroScart to XRGB cable have a built in sync stripper?

If not, I would personally eliminate the male to male scart cable and the Euro Scart to XRGB mini cable. Replace it with a Male Euro scart to XRGB mini cable. Instead of using 2 cables, replace them with a single, direct cable. I have heard of noise issues coming out of switches and going into the Mini using 2 cables like you do.

Nope, no sync stripper in my mini cable.

Any good place to get a single cable as you're describing? It sounds like that might be the ticket for me.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nope, no sync stripper in my mini cable.

Any good place to get a single cable as you're describing? It sounds like that might be the ticket for me.

You will probably need to build yourself one as I am not aware of anyone currently offering them.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Xian Xi built me a custom cable that plugs directly to the XRGB-Mini DIN port and has a Male scart end that i plugged directly in my SCART switch to avoid the XRGB mini scart cable. You can probably ask him to make you a custom cable with your specs , he is really good .