Dying Light (a.k.a. - Dead Island 3) - PS3/PS4/360/XBone/PC

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
was the second one any better? I didn't bother after the first one. felt more like a $20 game.

Magician

20 Year Member
was the second one any better? I didn't bother after the first one. felt more like a $20 game.

Not sure (will be looking at metacritic after this post), I skipped it aswell and played ZombiU instead.

Edit: with a metacritic in the high 50s and low 60s the answer would be a "no".

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Dead Island Riptide was more of a big DLC for the first game than anything else, really.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Paging taiso....

I watched the footage.

No thanks.

They couldn't even get Dead Island right. Now they want to add parkour? How about you learn to refine your craft before adding more shit in?

They are going to have to prove it to me.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Dead Island Riptide was more of a big DLC for the first game than anything else, really.
Thank you, not one reviewer said this before I bought the game and more people need to know it is nothing more than a glorified DLC pack.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Glad I didn't get Riptide as I was hoping for a corrected version of Dead Island... but a DLC basically, eishhhh. Dead Island is one of those games I just wish they did better. It had so much potential to be a really good experience instead of laggy mediocre mess.

Dying Light will probably end up the same... such a damn shame.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Dead Island was a game that never really utilised its potential and had masses of problems, that being said, this does look like a huge step up.

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump, for the first dev diary.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I like to keep in sync. Keep myself as educated as I want to be on modern console gaming. I see a lot of games pass through development to release all the time, MOST of which, don't f*cking interest me at all.

But this one does.

I REALLY like games that push the boundaries of the usage of the First Person Perspective WITHOUT having to be aiming down the scope of an automatic weapon all the time.

Specifically, the Condemned series, Mirrors Edge and Breakdown come to mind.

Thus, "Mirrors Edge but with zombies" sounds good to me :)

Magician

20 Year Member
Techland shows their latest gameplay option.

Bump for the newest Dying Light trailer, "be the zombie".

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I havent really cared much for games lately... but there's 3 coming out that I really want. This is one of them(the other 2 are Alien Isolation & Evil Within). Can't wait!

Magician

20 Year Member
Bump

In a surprising move Techland has cancelled the 360 and PS3 versions of Dying Light.

“After thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC,” TechLand wrote on Facebook.

I'm genuinely shocked. Most developers try to find a middleground on their engine in order to sell copies on as many platforms as possible, maximizing profit potential. Seeing Techland cancel the 360 and PS3 versions is a rare occurence. It's a gamble; I hope it pays off for them.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Why the fuck is this game being made?! I bought the first one on sale for like $10. Played it, and kept playing the game hoping it would get better.... It didn't (the game is more like a chore than fun). From what I hear the second one is pretty much the same thing... So how in the hell are these games selling enough to make a third??!!!

They definitely won't see my money.

Magician

20 Year Member
You're not alone in that opinion, Tung. However I really enjoyed my time with the first Dead Island. Although I never did get around to trying the spinoff, Dead Island: Riptide. I think Dying Light looks like another fun, zombie power fantasy.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Bump

In a surprising move Techland has cancelled the 360 and PS3 versions of Dying Light.

“After thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC,” TechLand wrote on Facebook.

I'm genuinely shocked. Most developers try to find a middleground on their engine in order to sell copies on as many platforms as possible, maximizing profit potential. Seeing Techland cancel the 360 and PS3 versions is a rare occurence. It's a gamble; I hope it pays off for them.

Re: Post #12 earlier...

This sucks. I have a PS3 and am perfectly happy with it with no intention of 'upgrading' to PS4. At all... as I have many YEARS worth of PS3 titles still to undertake.

Shame, as unlike DI & DI:RT, this title looked really promising... like Mirrors Edge meets L4D or sommat.

Ah well. Nevermind... Techland.

Magician

20 Year Member
Digital preorders opened up on PS4 yesterday. I want to put money down, but I'm disappointed by the fact that the "Be The Zombie" feature is locked behind the season pass. That's an additional $30. I'll probably pony up for the standard edition and pass on the dlc. I don't want anymore regrets for springing for dlc on a game that I may end up not enjoying (*cough*Destiny*cough*).

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I thought this sounded cool until I found out it was related to Dead Island.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I thought this sounded cool until I found out it was related to Dead Island.

I am taking a wait and see attitude, there have been way to many disappointments this gen. I am hoping they can finally nail it, but no way in hell I am pre-ordering this.

That is some BS magician. Can't even include that option as a pre-order bonus, lame.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
That is some BS magician. Can't even include that option as a pre-order bonus, lame.

Indeed, it is. Unfortunately, my excellent experience with the first Dead Island has impared my judgement. After realizing that the DLC bundled "ultimate" edition of Dying Light has been given the same 10% discount for preordering digitally as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt....I took the plunge. My preorder is down.

What's life without a little gamble, eh?

Until January 27th then.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
So... it's been available since last night at midnight. Anyone have it yet?

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
So... it's been available since last night at midnight. Anyone have it yet?

I bought a digital copy last night and played about an hour. The graphics are sub-par for a ps4 game... to be more specific, the rendering on faces in the game is horrible... I thought I was playing NBA Jam in 2000 when I was watching the intro. Playing the game was a bit better though. I did not play either of the dead island games, so I am not familiar with how they play, but it seems that crafting is similar and it's definitely a runner game. It's held my interest so far, so I'll give it a few more hours.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Am I the only one that feels this new generation of gaming has been unbelievably boring so far?

Maybe I'm just getting old.

#bittergamer