SNK Playmore Terminates Licence Agreement with Tommo.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
absolutely love the new name for this board. Quite fitting.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Like flies on shit. No surprise really.

It probably had something to do with Tommo stealing Final Burn for their own use or maybe because they originally packaged it with both Sony SCPH and GBA BIOS's. Both of which are huge copyright issues.
59 minutes ago · Like · 1

NeoGeoFreak Matt: Thanks for the updates. Using Final Burn was ok but there were some rumors on sony bios. Sony hasn't chimed in and they may not be involved. Tommo has said it's an internal issue with playmore so we'll have to wait and see what that means.
35 minutes ago · Like

shoddy build quality, terrible emulation, screen tearing, bargain-bin cheap display, color bleeding, muted and poor quality sound, vertical scan lines, turbo, 16:9 aspect ratio, forcing you to buy their shitty games just to get a firmware update that most likely bricks your console, not having a portable charger for a portable system until 7 months after launch, the name "rocket cable".......

Or mod it yourself. Done. Loads legally owned backups and improves on every issue mentioned. It takes maybe an hour and half. More people would be doing it if the procedure wasn't hidden away in a 50 page cluttered thread.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Or mod it yourself. Done. Loads legally owned backups and improves on every issue mentioned. It takes maybe an hour and half. More people would be doing it if the procedure wasn't hidden away in a 50 page cluttered thread.

Because buying something that works properly right out of the box is just so overrated.

Because buying something that works properly right out of the box is just so overrated.
Come on pipes. I don't buy any handheld without intending to mod it. You think I'm gonna drop well earned cash on a closed device with no mod potential? That's the only reason people still buy PSPs.

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Wait ... it's actually possible to upgrade the emulator on the device? I thought the only hack was to modify the SD slot to read standard cards.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
My inbox is full of news about this. All the stories that have reported this have nothing but cheers of joy from the hardcore audiance in their comments section. incredibly entertaining lol

You know, I never understood who this thing was marketed to. Hardcore neo fans are very precious about the details, and there were so many things done wrong with this thing there was just no way the core audience was gonna go for this. On the other hand, the price on it was way too high to attract casual/tentative fans or curious onlookers. This thing had no discernible target audience, IMO, and it was doomed to fail.

Oh, and to anyone who thinks that arcade stick is good: it's not. The build quality is terrible (it's cheaper and lighter than an actual aes stick) and it only has 4 buttons, severely limiting the number of pc games you can actually play with it . Curious parties would be better served by saving and investing in a quanba or ps3 hori stick. These phony aes sticks are crap.

Wait ... it's actually possible to upgrade the emulator on the device? I thought the only hack was to modify the SD slot to read standard cards.

You can install a custom firmware based off of the dingoo architecture using UsbTool. It replaces the fba core on the device with a much much better one. It has no scanlines, better audio, reduced latency input, save states, etc... All the instructions are in chinese or french though for how to do it.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
NGF is so bigtyme that they don't even like the MVS, Pocket or CD

"NGF was not particularly fond of the NGX system. We've always been AES purists and we didn't really care for MVS, Neo CD or the Neo Pocket either, but that's not the point."

Jesus christ. Their comments down below the post are just themselves jerking off into their own mouths. Always a treat to catch up with the NGF team.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I wanted to post this when I read the news this morning, but sadly I had work, then had to help my dad with some shit. So sorry for being late with this.

Also, 190 people like NGF on Facebook? Do they really like them, or just want to read the stupid shit like that they just posted?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
All 190 of those are josh's alt from the Videogamex forum.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Now if only playmore could send Brocken back in time to terminate the license before it was even born.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You know, I never understood who this thing was marketed to. Hardcore neo fans are very precious about the details, and there were so many things done wrong with this thing there was just no way the core audience was gonna go for this. On the other hand, the price on it was way too high to attract casual/tentative fans or curious onlookers. This thing had no discernible target audience, IMO, and it was doomed to fail.

Oh, and to anyone who thinks that arcade stick is good: it's not. The build quality is terrible (it's cheaper and lighter than an actual aes stick) and it only has 4 buttons, severely limiting the number of pc games you can actually play with it . Curious parties would be better served by saving and investing in a quanba or ps3 hori stick. These phony aes sticks are crap.
As someone who's played on a few Blaze sticks (who Tommo is either associated with or owns or is owned by or something) this is no surprise at all.

Also the 35mm balltop totally ruins the aesthetic.

So much truth in this quote, I wanna quote it again.

You can install a custom firmware based off of the dingoo architecture using UsbTool. It replaces the fba core on the device with a much much better one. It has no scanlines, better audio, reduced latency input, save states, etc... All the instructions are in chinese or french though for how to do it.

Given that the backbone of the NGX is very like the current 'handheld of the now' - the GCW Zero - it would be very nice to have dingux running instead of tommo's slap-dash nonsense..

all we need to seal the deal is some way of removing the SNK branding so as not to offend future generations.

pipes

Does it really matter how much modding you do when the hardware will always be low-end garbage? The display is pitiful. Is nobody bothered by that?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Casey McMahon♥SNK is a joke of a company. I should know as I worked with them for 5 years while the Neo-Geo.com losers went on a witch hunt against me and other independent resellers of SNK products like NGF. Super Fans keep the Dream alive and Tommo is well within their rights to keep selling their products!

Lol

Does it really matter how much modding you do when the hardware will always be low-end garbage? The display is pitiful. Is nobody bothered by that?

this was one of the first things i noticed, how really poor the display quality was.. but, with non-square pixels, and all the horrible compatibility compromises with the version of FBA, it's to be expected.

The hardware is not ALL low-end garbage though. compare it to any fo the current linux handhelds.. it's actually quite contemporary in alot of fields.

It's blatently obvious that all tommo did was hook up with a far-eastern dingoo-a-like company, and try to legitimize an emulator. The hardware in the NGX is basically the state things were at when the deal was done. Things have moved on a little bit, and the build of the NGX was not great, but it's still a potentially useful handheld emulator, with an awesome weapons-grade lulz and drama-laden background story.

On one hand i want to preserve my shitty NGX, as it WAS A LEGIT LICENCED SNK DEVICE, but there's a part of me that wants to remove the branding with rubbing alcahol, and stick dingux on it so i can play mame4all on the bog. That would at least heal some of the buttsore from this $200 disaster.

pipes

^
A bottle of rubbing alcohol should have been included with every Gold Limited Edition.

Speaking of which, it's rather hillarious that the "Limited Edition" is actually the ONLY edition. Lol!

That bumbling band of idiots at Tommo had no idea. I'll miss them in a way. They provided hours upon hours of comedy in such a short amount of time. The world will never see anything like this again. Back to obscurity Tommo...so long dear idiots.

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It has begun!

There are already new eBay auctions for the Neo Geo X, going as high as $410!

^

Speaking of which, it's rather hillarious that the "Limited Edition" is actually the ONLY edition. Lol!

That was a freudian slip on their behalf, they knew it had legs for about the time it takes to open the box and plug it in. Fu*k yeh Limited EVERYTHING edition.

We may need a new term for this kind of product. Like a new twist on 'vapourware'. Something to do with gasses anyway would be fitting.