crossed swords question:

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Hi guys,

I read this online "Crossed Swords is a quality game, but it falls victim to the "unlimited continue" syndrome that plagues many Neo Geo titles. When you die, all you have to do is hit "Start" to pick up immediately from where you left off. Any creature you were fighting still has damage, and you don't even lose your gold. Plus there's no score to judge your performance."

But when i test it in my Neo-Geo Emulator when its game over its game over.

However the review was for the CD version and my guess is that my emulator is the MVS version, and iam thinking of buying the AES version. So do anyone know what the AES version is like when it comes to the continues?

Also when on the topic, is there any version of cyber-lip that doesnt have unlimited countinue where you respond at the exact same place? its like playing a game with cheats imo.

Best Regards Tommy N

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The unlimited continues syndrome is somethig I struggled with when the system launched and the AES carts were 200 USD <A STRONGER DOLLAR 200 USD> a pop brand new. I ran through the whole five or six cart library at the time and settled on keeping CROSSED SWORDS believe it or not because I kind of recall it not allowing you to continue like Ninja Combat & CYBER LIP.I'm not a 100 sure though because it's been a loooong while since I played it.
You're just going to have to use discipline and police yourself with the number of continues you take. It would be sorta like the 1cc challenge....
BB

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Not all of the early games have unlimited continues. Obviously all the fighters had a limit of 4 credits (or 8 if you used player 2's credits). Games like Sengoku and Burning Fight have limited continues.
If you play in MVS mode, then you can just keep feeding it with credits (the last boss of NAM-1975 being an exception). Does Crossed Swords not allow you to continue, even if you try to feed it another credit in MVS mode? That might make sense because it's an RPG. In RPG's when you die once, you're supposed to be dead for good. That's how they often work.

The good thing about Sengoku or Burning Fight is that they give you a reasonable amount of continues (maybe 20 or so) which mean you can finish the game if you play a good game. But if there's no limit then it forces you to credit feed the game, if it's a side-scrolling fighter, or other games where it's virtually impossible to beat the game with one credit. (Has anyone 1cc'd scrolling fighters like Burning Fight or Sengoku? Maybe no one in the world has done it).

Last edited:

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Sengoku is awesome, love when you fight ontop of the horde of ghost horses!

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
But if there's no limit then it forces you to credit feed the game, if it's a side-scrolling fighter, or other games where it's virtually impossible to beat the game with one credit. (Has anyone 1cc'd scrolling fighters like Burning Fight or Sengoku? Maybe no one in the world has done it).

I know a few people on this board have 1cc'd Sengoku. Not sure about Burning Fight (I'm sure someone has if there's enough interest in doing so).

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I would love to see someone actually 1cc Crossed Swords, but it's a pretty large game.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I would love to see someone actually 1cc Crossed Swords, but it's a pretty large game.

Indeed. I have to credit feed to complete it, and even then, it feels like a chore to get through it all.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I came to find over the years that there are indeed slightly different revisions on many of the first generation releases for the NEOGEO.

Some of them have unlimited continues, some have 10 continues, and then in the later years most carts settled on that famous "CREDITS 04" for each side.

Yes, you can "double" your continues by switching over to player two right before you run out.
And yes you can also use a memory card to save your game and then load the card to start with a fresh set of continues.

One memory I distinctly have is with NAM 1975. It took me longer then most other NEOGEO games to beat it because when your at the battle with the final boss,
the continues don't quite work the same way. They are more limited and then at one point I think they are not allowed!

Also with regards to Crossed Swords, one thing you can do to really enjoy the game and get more game time out of it is make different choices and take different paths by using the two different spots on the card. (one of the few neo games that allows you to save two different files on the same memory card)

With regards to Crossed Swords however, I don't believe that I have ever owned or played a copy that did not have unlimited continues, so I think it only had one run and it was with unlimited continues.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
But when i test it in my Neo-Geo Emulator when its game over its game over.

However the review was for the CD version and my guess is that my emulator is the MVS version, and iam thinking of buying the AES version. So do anyone know what the AES version is like when it comes to the continues?
I have a legit MVS cart here, when I set the Unibios to U.S.A. + console (which should run the game just the same way it would on an NGH System) it grants you 1 continue, not more - after that you're game over. In arcade mode you can insert as many coins and continue as often as you please, of course. I don't know if there are other versions of this game floating around or if the NGH carts contain a different code though.

P.S.: Here's some youtuber that only has one continue on his NGH cart as well.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
That's the main reason I bought CD version (same as Ghost Pilots)

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Why is unlimited continues a problem? It's nothing a little self control can't solve. I find the opposite worse, I don't want the dev artificially limiting my continues. I'd rather make that decision myself.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The only thing that probably shouldn't be allowed is unlimited continues + high-score preservation.
Practice all the way through the game is fine, but it shouldn't come with bragging rights after the continue. ;)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
In Blazing Star, if you continue a game, the entry name automatically defaults to "CONTINUE".

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
One of my favorite things about Metal Slug is after beating it, it says how many continues you used. I know of no other game that does that. It's super helpful when taking the approach of "beat game with as many continues as needed, work towards zero continues"

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
One of my favorite things about Metal Slug is after beating it, it says how many continues you used. I know of no other game that does that. It's super helpful when taking the approach of "beat game with as many continues as needed, work towards zero continues"
Don't Neo Geo games tell you how many credits you've used in AES and MVS mode (at the bottom of the screen)? So you can calculate how many credits you've used by seeing how far the number goes down (i.e., if it starts at 04 and ends at 02 credits, you've used 2 credits).
The conversions of Metal Slug on other systems (PSX, PS2 etc) don't always show the no. of credits left.

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Don't Neo Geo games tell you how many credits you've used in AES and MVS mode (at the bottom of the screen)? So you can calculate how many credits you've used by seeing how far the number goes down (i.e., if it starts at 04 and ends at 02 credits, you've used 2 credits).
The conversions of Metal Slug on other systems (PSX, PS2 etc) don't always show the no. of credits left.

That's only in AES mode, and not all games do it. Not to mention when first working on a game, it's pretty easy to use more than 4 credits.

I'm also thinking of non Neo games. I'm currently working on 1cc'ing ESP Rade and a credit counter at the end like Metal Slug has would have been awesome.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I just put the cab on free play and insert a coin for each credit I use, so I can tell how many continues I've used simply by reading the credit counter on the control panel.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
That's only in AES mode, and not all games do it. Not to mention when first working on a game, it's pretty easy to use more than 4 credits.

I'm also thinking of non Neo games. I'm currently working on 1cc'ing ESP Rade and a credit counter at the end like Metal Slug has would have been awesome.
I was just playing Metal Slug in arcade mode, and it shows the number of credits left in the bottom right corner. Maybe there is dip setting to turn it on or off (just like you can turn off the display of the difficulty level).

Last edited:

hungar

n00b
I don't mind the unlimited continues in crossed swords it's a pretty short affair anyway. Most of the fun comes from learning to block and parry like a bad ass anyway :)

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
The AES version gives one continue. So because you can use a memory card to save the level reached, the game is basically giving you a single continue to pass any of the levels. This makes the game way more challenging. I've never been able to beat the end boss on the AES version because of only a single continue. (I'm chicken shit to install a unibios)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The unlimited continues syndrome is somethig I struggled with when the system launched and the AES carts were 200 USD <A STRONGER DOLLAR 200 USD> a pop brand new. I ran through the whole five or six cart library at the time and settled on keeping CROSSED SWORDS believe it or not because I kind of recall it not allowing you to continue like Ninja Combat & CYBER LIP.I'm not a 100 sure though because it's been a loooong while since I played it.
You're just going to have to use discipline and police yourself with the number of continues you take. It would be sorta like the 1cc challenge....
BB

I noticed this in the Ninja Combat manual. I guess unlimited continues was intentional.

jbfr.jpg

As others have said, unlimited continues are better than a piddly number like 1 or 3. With unlimited credits, you can choose to stop after a few credits, or continue through so you can practice more evenly.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Back then the focus was on high scores, not 1cc.