Genesis / Megadrive pad hack - use DB15 arcade stick on Genesis

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
In the 3 button stick, about certainly. Is it also an off the shelf part in the six button one? It has been my suspicion that it's not, though I haven't checked.
3 button, yes.
6 button, no.

It's something that I've REPEATEDLY wished were possible, but the 6 button pads have custom ICs in them and it's getting more and more painful to hack up the 6 button pads for JAMMA Gennies. :(

but those 3 button pads are easy to make on your own. Just Like PCE pads :)

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
quick update.

Soldered it all up but apparently i grabbed one of my malfunctioning PCBs by mistake. Left and Start dont work on that one and sure enough, they still dont work when wired up either :/

Ah well at least everything is crimped. daisy chained and ready to go for the next one. but man i was really looking forward to getting a Battle Mania session going this morning.

Lemony Vengeance

swap out that IC with one of the same model and you'll be good to go. it's like a 25 cent fix.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

tumblr_mqafznCP8N1s64rhyo3_500.gif

(sorry, I just love that gif :D )

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Damn I really need to get around to watching Hot fuzz. That gif is funny as hell.

Oh so thats what Jibs was talking about....multiplexer. So when he said use one of those and build an adapter, does that mean you can just throw it on a bread board and build a diy Genny PCB?...pretty cool if so. Man I entered this thread looking for info on a simple pad hack and not only did i get but also here I am learning about off the shelf multiplexer ICs and shit like that.

Thats why I love this place *sniff :crying:

Lemony Vengeance

Damn I really need to get around to watching Hot fuzz. That gif is funny as hell.

Oh so thats what Jibs was talking about....multiplexer. So when he said use one of those and build an adapter, does that mean you can just throw it on a bread board and build a diy Genny PCB?...pretty cool if so. Man I entered this thread looking for info on a simple pad hack and not only did i get but also here I am learning about off the shelf multiplexer ICs and shit like that.

yep, you'll need a bunch of other components, like 9 10K OHM resistors. Gamesx.com has a circuit that you can build out that will duplicate the genesis 3 button controller perfectly.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...IY-Neo-Geo-to-Sega-Genesis-Controller-Adapter

I pulled the multiplexer out of a beat-to-shit controller because I didn't want to order one and wait for it to get here, but same difference. I could have made the whole thing way smaller as well, but was just trying to do something quickly, and with parts that I already had on-hand.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's something that I've REPEATEDLY wished were possible, but the 6 button pads have custom ICs in them and it's getting more and more painful to hack up the 6 button pads for JAMMA Gennies. :(

Have you tried a knockoff pad? Hyperkin makes some decent and cheap 6 button Genny pads, no idea if that would work for your application.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Have you tried a knockoff pad? Hyperkin makes some decent and cheap 6 button Genny pads, no idea if that would work for your application.
Came here to ask about those as well... also all those knockoff "arcade sticks", wondering if their innards would be any good...

Spoiler:
WmZvzM4.jpg

48POoU3.jpg

Lemony Vengeance

I have tried other clone pads, and they're not good. I prefer official pads, but I can give those a shot.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They aren't 100% reproductions of the original pads but they are damn close. Probably the best clone controller I've ever used. The dpad and buttons are a little stiffer than the originals, but otherwise feel the same, and after a few days of use to break them in the feel great. I actually use those instead of the real pads now, I bought like 4 of the Genesis pads and a couple of the USB versions for emulator use.

Lemony Vengeance

They aren't 100% reproductions of the original pads but they are damn close. Probably the best clone controller I've ever used. The dpad and buttons are a little stiffer than the originals, but otherwise feel the same, and after a few days of use to break them in the feel great. I actually use those instead of the real pads now, I bought like 4 of the Genesis pads and a couple of the USB versions for emulator use.

a good review from you is worth giving it a shot :D

protheus

n00b
3 button, yes.
6 button, no.

but those 3 button pads are easy to make on your own. Just Like PCE pads :)

I've solved the reverse problem (six button genesis sticks on an MVS) with a $1.50 microcontroller. I strongly suspect that would be a good way to solve this one too.

It's a bit of work, but it could be done.

Chris