SOCAL shmupmeet/fighting games

Randomsense

New Challenger
Never made it to Super Arcade but use to frequent Western Arcade at the same (old) location back in the day. Have always heard good things about them though. In the same general area (not exactly by SD) you also have James Games in Upland. Haven't been there in a long time either but the guy who runs it was always cool.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Sup FinalBoss (My real name is David btw) We have super arcade relaunching soon. Mike watson runs it, and hes a cool guy with a bright personality. When it hits, it will be near azusa, and you should see me there frequently.

Thanks for the heads up ! I don't know Azusa ill be googling that in a second. How soon is "soon" on the relaunch, and why a reliance is it a facelift?

Never made it to Super Arcade but use to frequent Western Arcade at the same (old) location back in the day. Have always heard good things about them though. In the same general area (not exactly by SD) you also have James Games in Upland. Haven't been there in a long time either but the guy who runs it was always cool.

Thanks for the link

EDIT- Both these places seem to be in LA or very near it. I was hoping they were close to SD :(
Ill keep them in mind for LA visits.
The search goes on

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Marked in iCalender.

Question to the SoCal residents- Where are the arcades in SoCal not the large advertised LA ones but stuff near SD if any.
Back in NYC alot of them didn't advertise I'm hoping its same here since I don't see any.

Arcades are practically dead here in SD. There was one in El Cajon's Parkway Plaza, but I haven't been there in a while so I don't know if it still exists. You could try your luck at Nickel City or Boomer's, but I don't know if either of them still has anything worth playing. Belmont Park has an arcade with some pinball machines and a handfull of oldschool games. The Dave & Busters here doesn't have much of note unless you're really into lightgun games and racing games, though they do have a few interesting things like Time Crisis 5, Mario Kart, and a couple of pod-like cabs with air/space combat games. I think your best bets are barcades such as Brewskie's Bar & Arcade and The Coin Op, the former has all of their games set to free-play while the latter has a better selection of games.

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Arcades are practically dead here in SD. There was one in El Cajon's Parkway Plaza, but I haven't been there in a while so I don't know if it still exists. You could try your luck at Nickel City or Boomer's, but I don't know if either of them still has anything worth playing. Belmont Park has an arcade with some pinball machines and a handfull of oldschool games. The Dave & Busters here doesn't have much of note unless you're really into lightgun gamee and racing games, though they do have a few interesting things like Time Crisis 5, Mario Kart, and a couple of pod-like cabs with air/space combat games. I think your best bets are barcades such as Brewskie's Bar & Arcade and The Coin Op, the former has all of their games set to free-play while the latter has a better selection of games.

Thanks so much for the thorough reply, Ill check and see if the EL Cajon spot is up and running and ill check out those bar-cades though I'm not much for drink, beggars can't be choosers.
Ive never been in a D&B even thought there were several in NY their commercials made them seem catered to non gamers and drinking, but Id like to check out some modern racers and gun games possibly with a non gamer friend. Thanks again Sama also love the sig gif

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The places mentioned all look great. I'll have to make time to get out to each if them.

By chance does anyone know of any arcades in the orange county area?

Rob Black

4" Chinaman Slave,
Where are the arcades in SoCal not the large advertised LA ones but stuff near SD if any.
Back in NYC alot of them didn't advertise I'm hoping its same here since I don't see any.

I know one in Huntington Park. Most of the machines are covered in graphite

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I would like to as well.

I just moved down from NorCal, and right before I left I was able to meet-up with a few forum members from here for some fighting and shmup games. Good guys up there, wished I met up with them earlier for more regular nights, but I just had a kid last year which made the social life harder. Now that our baby has settled into a routine it'll be a lot easier.

If I had the multi cab setup and the space to host some game nights, i totally would. But I've got a single NAC in a small apartment that's littered with baby toys. Not really conducive to hosting a night. But I'd gladly join in the fun if someone else here would host.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I would like to as well.

I just moved down from NorCal, and right before I left I was able to meet-up with a few forum members from here for some fighting and shmup games. Good guys up there, wished I met up with them earlier for more regular nights, but I just had a kid last year which made the social life harder. Now that our baby has settled into a routine it'll be a lot easier.

If I had the multi cab setup and the space to host some game nights, i totally would. But I've got a single NAC in a small apartment that's littered with baby toys. Not really conducive to hosting a night. But I'd gladly join in the fun if someone else here would host.

Opt2not, where in SoCal did relocate to?

When I finish my garage remodel I will be up for it, might be a while though, because I'm getting married in November.

I have to save up for that, but I have set aside some cash for an emergency candy cab buy, if a deal pops up : )

Last edited:

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I’m down in Orange County now. Love this area.

Rob Black

4" Chinaman Slave,
My favorite quote in this thread:

"So you have time and money to acquire more cabs but none to fix a deal that went sour years ago?"

Oh boy I know the feeling........

NeoField

Rugal's Thug
I live in Irvine, CA, in a super nice apartment complex, they have a room with a bunch of TV's we could rent. Let me find out more info and get back to the group.

jindo

Sakura's Bank Manager
Willing to drive down from NorCal. Waiting for a next update. :eek_2:

Last edited:

THEMAN

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I’d love to host a gathering at my place if people are willing to go to the Valley. I own a condo in Reseda, but I’m in Paris right now as I also own an appartment here. But I should have enough to have people entertained. Among others I own 2 candies and one big red (I need to get this checked), 1 slot, 2 slot, and 6 slot, 2 Neo Geo AES, 3 Superguns Raijin, MAS Supernova, and a homemade one, various JAMMA PCBs, Hyper 64, Consolized Atomiswave, modded XBOX (loaded with emulators), MVS 161 in 1. Among many, many other systems that I own. If anyone is willing to show up to the Valley I’m willing to host in my condo there though I’m in Paris right now as I also own an appartment here. I’ll give you guys the heads up when I’m back in town.

Last edited: