ESP Ra.De.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
I'm working on 1cc'ing this game. I've still got quite a ways to go. I feel like I am starting to grok the game a little bit.

I've played all three characters a lot and J-B 5th seems to make the game the easiest for me. His levels 1-3 order is the easiest, and his spread shot helps me tremendously on level 5. It allows me to weave through bullets and not worry so much about where I am on the screen.

My trouble spots are ...

the level 4 boss, his last form when he grows the two arms with guns each that shoot a checkerboardish blue spray that crisscrosses. Crisscrossing patterns are my weakness in general.

level 5 has a huge tank early on, on the left side. It takes forever to die and it constantly spews out arcing pink sprays. I hate that goddamn thing.

level 5 boss first form (with athena head) when all of its cannons are firing at once. Did the designers really expect people to survive this or are they forcing you to use up some psychic force?

level 5 boss, final form, second to last energy bar: when she sprays out those giant pink bubble gum wads. Ugh, I cannot figure this pattern out at all.

I think once I get the hang for these four spots, I'll be pretty close.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Zap the big meanies with a nicely charged barrier laser. During stages it's possible to regain that "bomb" meter with the "E" icons, so don't be too afraid to use it at those trouble spots. The last boss is hard, but if you are already getting to her on 1 credit you're almost there. Definitely stick with JB-5th, in my experience you are completely correct about her being the easiest to use.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
I do use my bomb meter and refill it with E's. I've avoided bombs on that big tank on level 5, but maybe a bit of bomb meter on him is the way to go.

I'm not getting to the last boss on one credit, more like about 5 :) So yeah I've got a ways to go, but all of my continues are due to the trouble spots above.

Chempop

Are you reaching the first points extend and getting the stage 4 1UP?

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
stage 4 1up, yup. 4mil 1up, not quite.

I'm not quite playing well enough to get 4mil in one game, but I'm pretty close.

I'm a newb to shooters. Maybe I started this thread a little premature as it's going to still take me a while to do this. I know I can, individually each piece is doable, just a matter of stringing it all into one game.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
btw, shelved Dimahoo for this because Dimahoo was forged in the fiery pits of hell by Hitler.

Chempop

Do you have a decent handle on the score system? Hitting things with your scatter shot, and then quickly finishing them off with rapid fire will boost that multiplier. Once you got the X16 rolling you'll get the first extend in no time. It's particularly nice to do on bosses on each of their forms (segment of life bar).

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Yeah I'm starting to get the hang of that now. I watched a 1cc video and it made that crystal clear. Also looks like a common strategy is to go for biggish enemies first then go back and kill off small enemies while the multiplier is still active.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Sorry if this blows your mind... but JB 5th is a dude. I'm handling it, ha.

Yep, he seems to belong to the bishi character type. Not sure what the appeal of those is, or whether it's generally intended to appeal to guys or gals, as feminine guys seem to make appearances in shojo as well. I always found it a puzzling addition to the game as Cave games of that time were mostly devoid of appeals to any fetishes and such. Of course, now it's all scantily clad ladies and lolis in Cave Land these days. :lolz: