Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Messy Mod Work Thread

Baseball Star Hitter

Messy Mod Work Thread

I did not see anything like this on the forums and figured the site could use it. I am posting it in the war room since I am sure some people will take this as an attack against them if they see their work posted in here. The point of this thread is not to troll but to warn people of the quality of mod work of some of the console modders out there. Personally I am just tired of seeing people paying good money for a service then get shit quality back without even realizing it. If you see your work posted by someone you should take it as a hint to better your skills and the quality of the service you provide and not as an insult.

This thread is not mods done for personal use but ones that someone commissioned another to do for them.

I see people commissioning mod work and never know what the modder actually did inside their game systems. When charging a client money to perform a modification you should really be doing your best to provide a service that not only works but is clean and professional looking. I think my personal biggest pet peeves are cold solder joints and excessive/incorrect use of hot glue. Before you commission someone to work on your game systems ask for pictures of their past projects. If you see dull solder joints (cold solder joints) or solder joints that have been hot glued, find someone else to do the work for you. Cold solder joints can fail in time and hot glue should only be used to keep wires cleanly out of the way and only in very low amounts. A solder joint should never be hot glued, this just makes future repairs a complete pain in the ass. It is basically something only insecure modders and noobs do. If you solder something correctly it does not need hot glue to stay in place.

My first entry.

Modder: Drakon

Issues:

• Excessive hot glue usage
    • Hot glues solder joints for no reason
    • Uses solder without flux
    • Does not test RGB mods on an actual RGB monitor
    • Gets a little happy with the heat gun
    • Charges a premium price for low quality electronics work (his stuff works but the soldering skills are less than desirable)
    • Last time I talked with him he did not use a mutli-meter to test electronics, did everything by feel.

Examples of Work:

Heat gun damage to PhoneDork's AV Famicom

Inside Phonedork's AV Famicom - This was one that was non functional when Phonedork received it. I fixed it up for him and got it working. The copper tape and multicolored wires are mine not Drakon's. Copper foil shields the PPU and reduces jailbars a bit.

All of Drakon's work looks like Peter North shot his load all over it.

Baseball Star Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    All of Drakon's work looks like Peter North shot his load all over it.
    My complaint with it is he would charge upwards of $200 for a mod like the ones above and this is the quality of work his clients get.

Jin's Bodyguard
    It's alive!

Vice's Love Slave
    WTF does this guy need a heat gun for? To remelt the glue into an even more difficult to remove position? But you gotta hand it to him, he manages to charge Neotropolis prices for sub-noob work and people pay it. At least Kpj's work (from what I hear) is clean. I doubt that Drakon would ever show up here to defend himself. Wouldn't last 10 minutes in this arena. People don't hold back.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Dam, looks like he chewed gum and put it to hold wires together.

Banned
    Wow, that is without a doubt the shittiest mod work I've ever seen.

Baseball Star Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by psychobear85 View Post
    Dam, looks like he chewed gum and put it to hold wires together.
    I believe that is the Baku top gun ppu circuit encased in its time capsule

Bloodhound

Genyosai's Servant
    Quote Originally Posted by Sex Lord Ki_atsushi View Post
    If someone did that shit to one of my systems, I'd file a chargeback and use that money for a plane ticket to go punch them in the dick.

Art of Typing Wiz

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Lord Ki_atsushi View Post
    Man ok while I know this is kinda beating on the dead horse a bit. Shitty mod work threads shouldn't be posted without Chris Ray's work he sent to Shawn who of course paid him a lot of money to do...

Shock Troopers conversion from Dion to Adol.

This is a DoA Striker's 1945 Shawn paid a lot of money to Dion/Chris for. Pictures by Jeff Kurtz.

Keep in mind that chris said the warrenty on this shit would be "Void" if someone opened up the game.

Banned
    Still nowhere as bad as that nes.

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof
    There's a time and place for hot glue (I use it (sparingly) in joystick mods because that shit will get thrown around and can use a little protection) but this guy is doing it wrong.

Unless I'm making something quick for myself (like my recent HorribleGun) I always mod with the intent that worst case, if something goes wrong, my work will speak for itself and be easy to troubleshoot, but this is just a tangled mess. Shame too since he has that PCB that looks like it takes all the guesswork out of a RGB mod, I don't get why there's need for things like that glue-encased circuit.
    Last edited by DanAdamKOF; 09-19-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Crossed Swords Knight
    Yeah, the moderators around here are pretty messy. Thanks to guys like VT of course.

Vice's Love Slave
    You should have seen his early "tutorials." They were literally:

step 1: buy IC of interest
    step 2: follow datasheet for recommended hookup
    step 3: pat yourself on the back for a job well done

Amano's Drinking Buddy
    If only I had known, there is a system I'm working on right now that someone hot glued all over the place. It's a core grafx, and the hu card slot was completely rewired and it looks like they were rewired with car stereo wires, which hadn't been even finished. And above all else it hadn't even been cleaned where it was soldered, so all the joints looked brown like the ones on that mvs cart

Galford's Poppy Trainer
    This Drakon guy needs to just stop - there's no excuse for that horse shit. I'd be ashamed and probably spend my time trying to find the least painful way of off'ing myself instead of ripping people off.

Kyo's Flame
    Isn't that just excess rosin flux? I'm pretty sure that other than being ugly it isn't harmful.

Baseball Star Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by DanAdamKOF View Post
    Isn't that just excess rosin flux? I'm pretty sure that other than being ugly it isn't harmful.
    Drakon does not use rosin core solder, not unless someone were to ship it to him for free.

Kyo's Flame

edit: well I did mean in the Dion pics/zorro's system

also while I've seen a number of stick mod horror stories none of them compare to this. The dude who used uninsulated solid core wire to do a stick with no soldering nor quick disconnects (wrap around a terminal and call it good!) was still cleaner than this.

vvv ahh gotcha, never encountered that myself, thanks vvv
    Last edited by DanAdamKOF; 09-19-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Amano's Drinking Buddy
    It is, it's not harmful. It does minimize the electricity flow through if it is really dirty though. It should be a basic step in soldering to clean before and after

It should be known, that the irony in all of this is that Drakon repeatedly shits all over other people's work.

My best mod work was a piece of chewing gum in a PS-X. Burned games forever!

My fliptop PS2 was a bit of a massacre. I can't fathom how that thing still works, but it does somehow.
    http://www.riffnralk.com
    Nonsensical Podcasts and articles about music and somewhat music related things.
    http://calamitydown.bandcamp.com/ - I also make weird music

Art of Typing Wiz
    Worst Mod Ever

Seriously WTF is that brain looking blob in there?

I don't have great skills at this kind of stuff but I've put together some joysticks, a supergun, and done a controller mod in my day.

And I sat that's fucking garbage.
    There is too much confusion.

Thread Information