Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Messy Mod Work Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Baseball Star Hitter

Messy Mod Work Thread

I did not see anything like this on the forums and figured the site could use it. I am posting it in the war room since I am sure some people will take this as an attack against them if they see their work posted in here. The point of this thread is not to troll but to warn people of the quality of mod work of some of the console modders out there. Personally I am just tired of seeing people paying good money for a service then get shit quality back without even realizing it. If you see your work posted by someone you should take it as a hint to better your skills and the quality of the service you provide and not as an insult.

This thread is not mods done for personal use but ones that someone commissioned another to do for them.

I see people commissioning mod work and never know what the modder actually did inside their game systems. When charging a client money to perform a modification you should really be doing your best to provide a service that not only works but is clean and professional looking. I think my personal biggest pet peeves are cold solder joints and excessive/incorrect use of hot glue. Before you commission someone to work on your game systems ask for pictures of their past projects. If you see dull solder joints (cold solder joints) or solder joints that have been hot glued, find someone else to do the work for you. Cold solder joints can fail in time and hot glue should only be used to keep wires cleanly out of the way and only in very low amounts. A solder joint should never be hot glued, this just makes future repairs a complete pain in the ass. It is basically something only insecure modders and noobs do. If you solder something correctly it does not need hot glue to stay in place.

My first entry.

Modder: Drakon

Issues:

• Excessive hot glue usage
    • Hot glues solder joints for no reason
    • Uses solder without flux
    • Does not test RGB mods on an actual RGB monitor
    • Gets a little happy with the heat gun
    • Charges a premium price for low quality electronics work (his stuff works but the soldering skills are less than desirable)
    • Last time I talked with him he did not use a mutli-meter to test electronics, did everything by feel.

Examples of Work:

Heat gun damage to PhoneDork's AV Famicom

Inside Phonedork's AV Famicom - This was one that was non functional when Phonedork received it. I fixed it up for him and got it working. The copper tape and multicolored wires are mine not Drakon's. Copper foil shields the PPU and reduces jailbars a bit.

All of Drakon's work looks like Peter North shot his load all over it.

Baseball Star Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post
    My complaint with it is he would charge upwards of $200 for a mod like the ones above and this is the quality of work his clients get.

Vice's Love Slave
    WTF does this guy need a heat gun for? To remelt the glue into an even more difficult to remove position? But you gotta hand it to him, he manages to charge Neotropolis prices for sub-noob work and people pay it. At least Kpj's work (from what I hear) is clean. I doubt that Drakon would ever show up here to defend himself. Wouldn't last 10 minutes in this arena. People don't hold back.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Dam, looks like he chewed gum and put it to hold wires together.

Banned
    Wow, that is without a doubt the shittiest mod work I've ever seen.

Baseball Star Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by psychobear85 View Post
    Dam, looks like he chewed gum and put it to hold wires together.
    I believe that is the Baku top gun ppu circuit encased in its time capsule

Bloodhound

Jin's Bodyguard
    It's alive!

Quote Originally Posted by 68k View Post

Art of Typing Wiz
    Worst Mod Ever

Seriously WTF is that brain looking blob in there?

I don't have great skills at this kind of stuff but I've put together some joysticks, a supergun, and done a controller mod in my day.

And I sat that's fucking garbage.
    There is too much confusion.

Bunker Buster
    http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/ Drakon's site.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/ind...?topic=13064.0 My favorite thread on PCEngineFX. If you know Drakon and his ghetto work table, you'll see his work.

He does this commission work just like how you see here; a shitload of hot glue to ensure that he has good connections.

Case in point:
    iAXKMyC.jpg
    lKoGVQu.jpg
    And yes, those 9 pin NES ports on the Twin Fami is attached by IDE cable and just hanging there...not secure at all.

I mean, I'm not gonna claim that I'm the best modder out there, but at least I don't go through 200 glue sticks on one project just to make sure my connection doesn't move. Most of mine are cleaner that some of this shit.
    ...console emulation has no soul...

LOL Does this guy actually solder or just glue everything in place?

Vice's Love Slave
    For those that weren't in the chat room, this was the most inane argument I've ever gotten into. I simply got tired of trying to figure out his stupidity at the end. Mind you, this was nearly two years ago but his communication and modding skills have only gone down hill since.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=58584

Vice's Love Slave
    Quote Originally Posted by Skips View Post
    Heat gun damage to PhoneDork's AV Famicom

I now know what Drakon uses a heat gun for. He uses it in place of proper desoldering equipment.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...275#post599275

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon
    Seriously a heatgun is the best modding purchase. My heatgun was on sale for like 15$ and it removes all smd easily.

Baseball Star Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    I now know what Drakon uses a heat gun for. He uses it in place of proper desoldering equipment.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...275#post599275
    Yeah except there is nothing to desolder in the top or bottom shell. You would think not heat gunning around plastic would be common sense. I also know hes melted someones AV Famicom serial port in the past. I cant remember if it was his or one of his client's

Raiden's Valet
    Quote Originally Posted by Skips View Post
    Looks like Drakon's got one horse and two horse hot glue jobs. What a mess.

s horse 3.png

Banned
    My name is John and I admit to having used hot glue in the past for padhacks.... Don't know if anyone remembers those awesome gen1 Playstation pads that didn't require you to solder to points, just push wire into where a serial cable was and hold it in place with hot glue.

King's Bartender
    Guys,

I've been watching this thread over the past few days and have really been impressed at the amount of torches and pitchforks that have been raised over bad hack jobs. Yes, in some respects, they were justified. I'm worried that this thread will become the place where everyone goes FIRST to complain, rather than to the person that made the work.

I will be the first to admit, there have been problems in the past with the things that I've made and sold here, but I work my ass off to make sure it's taken care of and corrected. Thank goodness there are people here that talk with me about the issues they're having before putting me on blast.

Yes, a heat gun is never good, ESPECIALLY if the board is still in the shell. Yes, too much HOT GLUE can be bad, but it's still needed sometimes. There are contacts and traces that are so small that they could get pulled off the board if the wire is moved. You use hot glue only to support connections, and only if it honestly needs it.

Not all of us are Shadows, and not all of us are Drakon

The best thing we can do, rather than publicly exposing someone,and discouraging their work is to help them become better. I would want someone to do that with me.
    It's impossible to be a nice guy on the internet.

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar
    lol nerds
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Is there no moderation, anywhere on this entire site?

NEST Puppet
    ha! and you all complain of my solder work. im like a fuckin solder buddah in comparison to these. hot glue should only be used for glitter and shiny buttons.

I made the impossible possible,i fixed gradius sega cd!

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

I dont know who did this mod. This Turbo Duo came to me a while back because it wouldnt play hucards or CDs. This is what I found inside...

Closer inspection of the region mod board...

I will give them credit on their unique "switch" setup using the cd lid lock as the switch.

Vice's Love Slave
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemony Vengeance View Post
    The best thing we can do, rather than publicly exposing someone,and discouraging their work is to help them become better. I would want someone to do that with me.
    Most people take constructive criticism very well and use it to become better. Drakon on the other hand gets very defensive when people critique his work. He tends to blame the clients for his failings and strictly abides by the "as long as it works" mantra. Believe me, I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first. I just thought he was a socially awkward introvert that just discovered a soldering iron. Apparently, that's just how he is and he is so far stuck up a glue gun he can't tell if we're trying to help him or bash his work.

If you've seen his posts on what somehow inherently claims he is the first person to do so, it's all "look at what I did" with no clear intention of explaining it for the rest of us. They are all half-assed passive aggressive advertisements for his shitty mod work. At least if you're going to offer a service, be upfront about it. State the price and tell them exactly what they need to provide and what they'll get in return. Mitsurugi-w does a perfect job in offering and explaining cps3 cart upgrades.

There's nothing wrong with being a rookie in this hobby. We were all there at one point. But there needs to be growth and professionalism if we are going to extend our services to other people. Drakon exhibits neither of these two.

H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay
    As amusing as this thread is, unless drakon sees it, it isn't going to do much good... Well, unless enough people see it and word gets around.

I would still love to see him post in here though. Someone tell him there's demand for heat damaged AV Famicoms in here.

Thread Information