Sega Trackballs.....

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So I load up Sonic Blast 3D for the genny, and I thought "What about how the arcade used trackballs?" I then plugged up my Sega Master System sports pad. Switched the control to the "control" setting and began to play. Well, interestingly enough, the game controls pretty good due to it's isometric design. This doesn't make the game any better mind you, but it works as a control option.

Now I'm kinda curious what games besides this and Marble Madness use the trackball control? Side Pocket I may try, which Minnesota Fats arcade pool used a trackball. Overhead putt-putt game may use it too. Zany Golf perhaps? Anyone know of any other games that might be worth a try?

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I believe the arcade version of sonic the hedgehog really did use a trackball. I could be totally making that up but I seem to remember playing it as a kid.

Almost any game with an overhead view would like work. Gain ground? The ninja on SMS would be interesting, as would Rambo. After burner 2 or better yet, the 32x port of the first after burner might be interesting with it too. Same with galaxy force 2 and super thunder blade.

This makes me want to pick up a sports pad. I didn't know it worked like that.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I believe the arcade version of sonic the hedgehog really did use a trackball. I could be totally making that up but I seem to remember playing it as a kid.

Almost any game with an overhead view would like work. Gain ground? The ninja on SMS would be interesting, as would Rambo. After burner 2 or better yet, the 32x port of the first after burner might be interesting with it too. Same with galaxy force 2 and super thunder blade.

This makes me want to pick up a sports pad. I didn't know it worked like that.

If you could mod a rapid fire circuit to go only as fast as a trackball spins and then put the four directions on buttons then you'd have a pretty cool setup I'd think for a Sonic arcade. Probably could double-map the look up to jump based on press vs hold.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
If you could mod a rapid fire circuit to go only as fast as a trackball spins and then put the four directions on buttons then you'd have a pretty cool setup I'd think for a Sonic arcade. Probably could double-map the look up to jump based on press vs hold.

A trackball is basically 2 spinners, so let's consider a spinner.

a spinners doesn't send small increments of just one direction, but a rapid succession of both . the optical encoder pcb sends a square wave which must be decoded properly by the game. when you spin a spinner right , it looks like a bunch of rapidly changing right and left signals. This can be observed in the service menu of any games supporting both sticks and spinners.

So basically, without support in the game software, hooking up spinners or trackballs to somewhere meant for sticks won't work. Example in arkanoid, if you have the game set to "joysticks" , the paddle will just "jitter" when you spin the spinner in either directions.

That being said , I'd love to try that SMS trackball with sonic 3d blast. I didn't even know that such a controller existed. pretty sweet :D

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Well I tried Side Pocket but couldn't shoot. No way to remap buttons either :(
I'm going to try the arcade classics tonight, it has centipede, middle command and one other game on it. I'll report if it works.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Well I tried Side Pocket but couldn't shoot. No way to remap buttons either :(
I'm going to try the arcade classics tonight, it has centipede, middle command and one other game on it. I'll report if it works.

No you won't.........

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I remember playing some sports games on the ball. I remember a football and soccer one and I want to say a hockey game. All master system of course. I wonder if it could be used for "Snatcher" on the sega cd?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I remember playing some sports games on the ball. I remember a football and soccer one and I want to say a hockey game. All master system of course. I wonder if it could be used for "Snatcher" on the sega cd?

Why would you use it on Snatcher?

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I would use that and the light gun just to mix it up. I guess for the same reason people learn to play fighting games with the guitar controller?

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
try fighting games with dance dance revolution controller. Its kind of fun but you need a few beers with it.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

it did. i was just playing on that cab the other day.

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
this is actually totally cool, i'd forgotten about that controller. i do recall my genesis pads working on an atari system as well?

I would use that and the light gun just to mix it up. I guess for the same reason people learn to play fighting games with the guitar controller?

or Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! with donkey kongas