Better Call Saul !

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm wondering what will end up happening to Kim. Prison? Murdered? Hiding?

Over the last couple episodes they were kinda leading you to the conclusion that Jimmy and Kim's relationship was naturally going to fall apart. Either because of his shady back alley dealings or perhaps just them going down separate paths in life like so many couples.

But the end of this episode pretty much cemented that that wasn't going to happen.

Yeah, agreed. I didn't see the "Let's do it again" coming, I was certain that she was there to dump him.

The last episode was great, they're throwing so much at this now they can really stretch it out.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Brilliant season/last episode

Kim is sliding and whereas before she related and connected mostly to Saul's emotional humane side, she now connects to something a lot more nihilistic. And Saul can't distinguish enough to realise this is not good for her and for them in general.
Pretty sad. She's starting to hurt herself again.
Saul maintains dysfuncional relationships with loved ones, helps them find self destruction.

The new bad guy is interesting for sure though kind of cookie cutter material.
The german workers are such a great addition to this series.
I feel that the head engineer will meet a tragic end, and that's a shame.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
That was a great episode, I wonder if Kim is how Saul discovers the vacuum cleaner guy who makes people disappear? Probably a stretch, maybe her storyline just kind of runs out eventually but that doesn't seem like something that would happen in this show. I have yet to rewatch any of the episodes, I need to waste a full day of a weekend on that. I'm looking forward to seeing Gale's storyline.

madman

Wow, can't believe it never occurred to me that him not being reinstated would be the catalyst (assuming it is) for Saul. Looking forward to next's week episode, I'm sure we'll be left with some sort of cliff hanger. Obviously we know the lab gets built properly so I'm not really too invested in that storyline. The preview also shows HHM coming back so I'm curious what story there is left to tell there.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Same here! it was so 'Jimmy' for him to not realize he should have shown some fake gratitude to his brother with that last question to ironically come off as sincere. I am super curious what is going to happen with Kim. I thought that was it this time around. I hear you about the lab but I wonder if there is more to the escape than it seems. HHM coming back... no idea what that could add to the story either. I've heard some criticism about the show being all over the place and while I get it, I truly don't mind, personally.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
better cal saul....gets LAWYERED by irl lawyer. :D
tube search results:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=better+cal+saul+gets+lawyered

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The whole way Jimmy dealt with Chuck’s death has been strange, especially considering how dedicated he was to helping Chuck. I keep waiting for that to come to a head. I thought when Jimmy and Howard faced off in the John it was finally going to happen.

madman

Same here! it was so 'Jimmy' for him to not realize he should have shown some fake gratitude to his brother with that last question to ironically come off as sincere.
What I got out of that was that he tried to Jimmy intelligent lawyers (I assume those were lawyers) instead of rubes and they were onto him the entire time. I thought it was less about him not mentioning Chuck, especially with the "insincere" criticism he got. He was playing them and they knew it. Not that he doesn't want to be a lawyer again, but the slick talk is who he is now. I'm sure we'll see some more present day Jimmy to open the finale.

The whole way Jimmy dealt with Chuck’s death has been strange, especially considering how dedicated he was to helping Chuck. I keep waiting for that to come to a head. I thought when Jimmy and Howard faced off in the John it was finally going to happen.

I don't know what to think of that, I think him having the "fuck Chuck" mentality could be the foundation for Saul. When he meets Kim in the parking garage he genuinely seems to not care about him anymore. It would seem like a big step into the Saul we know from BB if he emotionally shut down and this would be a start.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm wondering what will end up happening to Kim. Prison? Murdered? Hiding?

Over the last couple episodes they were kinda leading you to the conclusion that Jimmy and Kim's relationship was naturally going to fall apart. Either because of his shady back alley dealings or perhaps just them going down separate paths in life like so many couples.

But the end of this episode pretty much cemented that that wasn't going to happen.

Well if you remember in the Breaking Bad flashback earlier in the season, Saul tells Francesca to call X person who is a `great lawyer` There`s a scene later on where he calls Howard a terrible lawyer but a great businessman. Im sure you can guess who the great lawyer is

madman

I expected a little more from the finale than what we got, but it was still good. I never really became too involved in the German construction plot line since like I said we already know the thing gets finished so any drama along the way is irrelevant. Mike still appears to have some sympathy for the guy by letting him call his wife to save her, but he knows if he let the guy go it would be his ass. Gale acting like a giddy school kid around stone faced Gus was pretty entertaining.

I guess we can officially say Jimmy has become Saul now. I don't understand Kim's flip flopping on her ethics. She seemed really upset that Jimmy conned the board and that it was all an act. Maybe because she got got as well? The last episode she was in on a scam to replace those building plans for her own/client's benefit.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I expected a little more from the finale than what we got, but it was still good. I never really became too involved in the German construction plot line since like I said we already know the thing gets finished so any drama along the way is irrelevant.

Felt the same way.
And yeah, the German construction storyline did not need that much screen time, IMO.

AFAIK, Vince Gilligan took a more hands-off approach to this season. If that is so, the end-result does not really surprise me.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Same from me on the finale. It was fine, but underwhelming. Mike's storylines were a lot more interesting than Jimmy's this season. I'm liking Lalo, him vs. Gus/Mike should be interesting next season.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think it was the best season so far and the German route was very appealing. It felt honest, and I like the way it was dealt with in this last episode. I was impressed by what the engineer brought to the table. Geeks are part and parcel of this dark universe.

And hey
It's all good man
(Brilliant touch. It's like when Batman dons the suit for the first time. The birth of Darth Goodman)

ChopstickSamurai

I really dug this season too. Mike having to kill the engineer was necessary for his character, and I didn’t mind the storyline. The new Salamanca guy is going to be huge next season.

So one more season do you think?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It think it's a toss-up between one more or two more seasons. It feels like it only ought to run one more season, but I think it's entirely likely that it'll run for two, if only for the fact that Gilligan and Hutchison haven't made much reference to the end of the series.

madman

It think it's a toss-up between one more or two more seasons. It feels like it only ought to run one more season, but I think it's entirely likely that it'll run for two, if only for the fact that Gilligan and Hutchison haven't made much reference to the end of the series.

I'd love to see more chunks of time dedicated to present day Saul in the mall. Now that we saw day 1 of Saul Goodman and we're pretty entrenched into the BB world, present day Saul would be another good story to build on.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Maybe because she got got as well? The last episode she was in on a scam to replace those building plans for her own/client's benefit.

This is what it seemed like to me as well... also like Kim is still holding her breath for Jimmy to say something/show some emotion about Chuck's passing that is not guilt or apathy

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'd love to see more chunks of time dedicated to present day Saul in the mall. Now that we saw day 1 of Saul Goodman and we're pretty entrenched into the BB world, present day Saul would be another good story to build on.

The AVClub's reviewer suggested that the entire final season should be Gene at the Cinnabon. A whole season might be a little much, but I think one full episode is likely to happen that way toward the end, and yeah, that would be cool. Heck, I really shouldn't put it past Gilligan to come up with 10 compelling episodes of Cinnabonning.

ChopstickSamurai

I too expected more Cinnabon Gene after this season’s opener. I remember reading somewhere online that the reason for the late season was because there would be more present day scenes. Maybe I just imagined that, or it was BS?

madman

I too expected more Cinnabon Gene after this season’s opener. I remember reading somewhere online that the reason for the late season was because there would be more present day scenes. Maybe I just imagined that, or it was BS?

I read that it was because it takes them so damn long to write quality episodes. I wonder how long until the next season is on. I'm looking forward to re-watching this season in a weekend binge.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I really dug this season too. Mike having to kill the engineer was necessary for his character, and I didn’t mind the storyline. The new Salamanca guy is going to be huge next season.

So one more season do you think?

i really liked the meth lab building storyline. It's interesting seeing all that went into building it, and adds alot more weight to Mike's hatred of Walt in season 5. He went through so much to get the lab built and Walt just burn it down like it was nothing.

I like Mike's storyline but im finding his story is really separate from Jimmys in this season to the point where it feels like two different shows. But i have a feeling they will start to intersect more in Season 5 now that Jimmy is 100% Saul Goodman. Im going to assume a two part Season 5 like Breaking Bad

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
This season was pretty solid, the only complaint I have was the Something Stupid episode really didn't need to have two full songs for two separate scenes. The Big Rock Candy Mountain one for the assembly of the underground lab just felt like something thrown in as filler.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thumbs way up. Late to the party because of the Breaking Bad connection which wasn't my thing. Bumping in case someone else is in that boat. It stands alone.

Love how it toys with emotions. Pie sitting is priceless. Most of the characters are likable, and when they aren't they're usually laid on thick as a joke (The Kettlemans, GI Joke).

Some good use of music/sound and a ton of excellent camera work. I make a fantasy coffee table book in my head with some of those still shots. The camera team probably got some extra pleasure figuring out how Jimmy was going to shoot his commercials on a limited budget, and so, for a few scenes, they got to be Slippin' Jimmy.

Ahhhh that makes sense. I think I'm too stuck on my grief counseling lady theory.

Perhaps it has sunk in fully by now, but he felt guilty about a leaving a widow out there not knowing.

----
Don't think Mike will be putting bodies in cement. He and Jimmy are the same guy. . . they fight with street-smarts, and that's what the whole series is about. I'm a little fuzzy, but I think the last shot Mike fired was at a tennis shoe. Excellent scene.

Speculation:

Spoiler:

99.9% of the time when you don't actually see someone die on screen, they aren't dead. I'm going with the .1% chance this time. Chuck dies some point in the season and Jimmy inherits his share of HHM since Hamlin didn't buy out Chuck. This new potential windfall essentially works as the Sandpiper settlement he tried to orchestrate, or the Kettleman money before that. Jimmy is still unable to practice law which puts Hamlin at a negotiating advantage, but Jimmy hits the repeat button realizing money isn't his main motivator so he's happy to screw over Hamlin for nothing.

Last edited: