Better Call Saul !

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yeah that was great!

The way Jimmy looked at the wall of crap then was looking on ebay after makes me think he wants to go back into his scamming ways and was just seeing if he still has it.

That being said I am also thinking that seems to obvious and a ulterior motive is at play.

We shall see.....

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Oh snap--forgot to post my thoughts last night, I watched this piece at like 3am so my memory is fuzzier than Rot's sack.

Spoiler:
Most of the scenes were dimly lit other than Mike w/his niece (I forget), Howard's office and Gus outside Pollo's. Jimmy and Kim's apartment has resembled Chuck's old house, dark and stacked w/boxes of legal docs. Mike and Lydia meeting--dark. Side note: Lydia gives me special feelings in my nether regions. I think when she called Gus from the patio it seemed dimly lit. And of course the Pollo's distro center scenes were dark.

I feel like Jimmy now has the need to nurture Kim, he's all about taking care of her the way he took care of Chuck. He's up making coffee, juicing veggies, bringing home dinner, etc. There is a psychological term for it that escapes me right now where the relationship is defined by one having to take care of the other. I'm not sure what to make of his job interview. Did he really want it when he went back in? Or was he just trying to see if he still had the touch? Did that guy mentioning the old copier being used to make counterfeit money bring back his Slippin Jimmy days? Was seeing the potential to rip off the Hummels part of it? I'll have to re-watch it.

CS mentioned the Kim/Howard scene; I feel like Howard has always only cared about himself/the firm and thinks he can fix anything with money. This is one thing he can't fix and it seemed like what Kim said really got to him. I don't know if he knew what he was doing was demeaning to Jimmy or if he was so loyal to Chuck he simply didn't notice it until Kim pointed out how fucked up all of that was. Letting him pick from the garage seemed well intentioned, but the $5,000 and letting Jimmy head the board for the scholarship was certainly a kick in the nuts.

Mike is doing Mike. He obviously knows his shit, he's looking out for himself and Lydia is an amateur not even close to being on the level of Mike or Gus. I like how Gus sets her straight.

I expected Nacho's death in this episode (I should've known better), but isn't there a reference to him in the BB world? He also seems too strong of a character to kill off especially with his dad and his shop involved. Gus obviously sees some value in Nacho otherwise he would've killed him for what he did to Hector and he made it clear last season, and in EP2, that he wants to be the only one who decides Hector's fate.

OK, nobody read all of that so I'll stop there until I rewatch the first two.

Lol I read it!

Spoiler:
Jimmy wanted the job at first, and he felt like he wasn't going to get it, so he decided to see if the hustle was still strong. Turns out it was, which ended up just making him mad that both guys were dumb enough to fall for it. He wouldn't be okay working for someone he can fool so easy, who's that much below his level mentally. Or it also seems possible that he had already decided he didn't want the job, but he wanted to see how "takeable" the two guys were, if they would be good marks for stealing the hummels. Really good scene that plays into Jimmy's character on several levels. Liked it a lot.

I really like how Howard is written. Like you said, he's just that clueless on how to treat people and he thinks money is the answer to everything, but he's not malicious in his intent, I don't think. Rhea Seehorn was great in that scene, those two play off each other well.

I think Gus is going to use Nacho as a spy, basically, with the threat of selling him out to the rest of the Salamancas for something or other and/or torturing and murdering his dad. Nacho and Gus are such good characters, pretty impressive how the show has legitimately five different characters that can carry the show in any given episode or run of episodes.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
loved the breaking bad series......
looking uo this gem now...
thanks for the tip gents. :D

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Goddam...

Spoiler:
GALE IS "BACK"!!!
I was half asleep during this episode, so no weekly recap until I can rewatch it. Gus definitely made Nacho pay for what he did.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Goddam...

Spoiler:
GALE IS "BACK"!!!
I was half asleep during this episode, so no weekly recap until I can rewatch it. Gus definitely made Nacho pay for what he did.

Yeah, that was a real surprise. I’m looking forward to seeing how he plays out his involvement with the cartel.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Goddam...

Spoiler:
GALE IS "BACK"!!!

What did you think about Chuck's letter?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So, what's gonna be the ultimate outcome for Kim and for Nacho? I had forgotten that Nacho is referred to on BB by Saul in season 2, so he may well survive the show, but it's not really a definitive "he's still around" type of comment.

I don't know what would mess Jimmy up more, if Kim died or if she just left him. Seems like maybe she's going to die due to something he does, that would be a good final push over the edge.

madman

As of this season I noticed that Mike in this pre-BB world is much more of a hardass to Gus than in BB where he accepts his role as Gus' employee. I'm hoping to waste half the day tomorrow rewatching this season.

As for Nacho--I don't think Gus rats him out to the pointy boots boys, so who knows. I don't know where the Kim storyline will go, but it seems like she will tire of his conman lifestyle while she is trying to be on the straight and narrow. She doesn't seem like someone who would die in the series, of course I can't predict shit on this show so who really knows.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Another good episode last night. Howard's unraveling is being done really well (lol "FUCK YOU JIMMY"). Looks like Hector's gonna wake up next week.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah the emotions are running high with a lot of characters. Everybody seems to be cracking a little bit. Kim, Mike, Jimmy, Howard, Nacho are all dealing with some serious inner turmoil.

That ending was great too. Glad to see those punk ass kids get there's. I wonder if that was Huel and Old Billy Redface breaking those pinatas.

madman

They showed their faces, Huell was one of them.

Spoiler:
As usual, I never know what to think, but it feels like Kim taking that new job is pushing Jimmy closer toward becoming Saul. But then again I thought that after Chuck's death, so what do I know? Another piece of the puzzle at the least. The call regarding the will of the woman who passed away really seemed to fuck him up. I think he started off the senior citizen thing as a hustle, but deep down actually came to care about them.

It also seems like Mike is less submissive to Gus here. He's more like, "fuck you, pay me" vs accepting his position in BB. He throws out orders to Gus and Gus complies. In BB he was Gus' employee and errand boy. Mike must've made a wrong move at some point that we haven't seen yet.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
They showed their faces, Huell was one of them.

Spoiler:
As usual, I never know what to think, but it feels like Kim taking that new job is pushing Jimmy closer toward becoming Saul. But then again I thought that after Chuck's death, so what do I know? Another piece of the puzzle at the least. The call regarding the will of the woman who passed away really seemed to fuck him up. I think he started off the senior citizen thing as a hustle, but deep down actually came to care about them.

It also seems like Mike is less submissive to Gus here. He's more like, "fuck you, pay me" vs accepting his position in BB. He throws out orders to Gus and Gus complies. In BB he was Gus' employee and errand boy. Mike must've made a wrong move at some point that we haven't seen yet.
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, Kim pursuing her own thing is definitely just making Jimmy re-confirm what he's already starting to lean toward, that he should look out for himself at all times because that's all you should ever really count on. At least that's my take on it. The one thing he still has noble intent on isn't gonna happen, so why bother trying to stay on the straight and narrow when he's obviously better at taking the easy route?

I think he may also start to resent Kim's idealism. He seems to have gotten to the point where he hates whatever is left of that quality in himself, and though he knows it's an admirable trait, he also sees it as weakness. Seems like things are set to devolve rapidly now.

madman

Spoiler:
Aw snap, how about that opening scene? It pretty much says it all with their relationship. Really brilliant with how "call Saul" came about. Definite symbolism when Jimmy leaves her office and she asks whoever came in to close the door. I'm interested to see what her plan is regarding Huell. She obviously still has feelings for Jimmy as she was upset when the prosecutor called him a disbarred lawyer selling drop phones. And we've got trouble in the underground paradise with that one German guy. Seems like he's on strike 2 with Mike. I really like the storyline with Hector as well, I hope we see Nacho in the next episode. Anyhow, those are my quick thoughts on that episode.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
The performances are top-notch, as expected, but for me thus far large parts of this season feels sloooow. Even by BCS standards.
At this rate they could do a whole year on Mike becoming a trusted security consultant of Madrigal.

There was talk in the past that this would be a 5 season run. They'll need more than that to wrap this up at this pace.

madman

I dunno man, for me this is the greatest season. There are so many storylines happening and we have so many BB characters in the mix now. Didn't Gus tell Walt he built the lab just for him in BB? Obviously that could've been bullshit and it's not like they were writing that episode knowing there would be a prequel years later. We are at least a few months into the lab being built so we are maybe a year before Gus hires Walt? Presumably at this point in the show Walt is already cooking meth in the RV? I'll have to do more research on the timelines. We did see some actual dates on I think a cellphone this episode, I'm sure some nerds have already matched that up with BB. I also hope we get more "present" day Jimmy and not just the short flash forwards. I love geeking out on this show.

Edit: In terms of flash forwards, we have to see Jimmy's future. Mike dies. Gus dies. Hector dies. Walt presumably died. Jesse was the only person who became a better person at the end as opposed to worse so he lived.

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Don't get me wrong, I still dig it. Subtle and clever nuances all over the place, that make you pay attention and even then are only clearer maybe on a rewatch.

But they kinda built this season up as "we're now full steam ahead toward the BB world". Or something to that effect.
I get that the series takes its time to fully flesh out character development and storyline, but for me they're sure taking their sweet time trying to get there.

madman

I think the new episode moved us more into the BB world, I won't mention anything that was in spoilers, although I doubt anyone is reading this that hasn't seen the episode. I feel like the Howard story is over, I don't how much more is left to tell there. Watching HH&M fail wouldn't be a very compelling story and I think Jimmy and Howard's last interaction was all that we needed. Jimmy has his money, that's that.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That was a fucking great episode. The whole Huell thing was hilarious. I have a feeling Eduardo will be a great character

The last couple of episodes were pretty slow for sure but i found this episode picked up the pace quite a bit

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Looks like a dangerous hombre. His manner kinda reminds me a little bit of Simon (Steven Ogg) from the Walking Dead.

I thought the same.

Interesting how Jimmy and Kims relationship is turning again.
With the comment at the end could be getting right into saul mode.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Looks like a dangerous hombre. His manner kinda reminds me a little bit of Simon (Steven Ogg) from the Walking Dead.

I get the impression his overly friendly outward demeanor hides a much more sinister side and its also eluded that Nacho wont be able to do much without him noticing.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I thought the same.

Interesting how Jimmy and Kims relationship is turning again.
With the comment at the end could be getting right into saul mode.

I'm wondering what will end up happening to Kim. Prison? Murdered? Hiding?

Over the last couple episodes they were kinda leading you to the conclusion that Jimmy and Kim's relationship was naturally going to fall apart. Either because of his shady back alley dealings or perhaps just them going down separate paths in life like so many couples.

But the end of this episode pretty much cemented that that wasn't going to happen.