Better Call Saul !

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I took the milk thing as just a sign that he still respects his dad, didn't think more into it than that. I'm not sure the innocence fading thing fits, he's already a drug dealer, already trying to kill Hector, already beat the shit out of krazy 8, already broke into that guys house to steal his shit, etc. The innocence was gone long ago.

madman

Spoiler:
I'll just write this quickly, more later. I really hope Chuck is dead from a story perspective. Like I said I feel like his storyline is kind of over and after what he said to Jimmy I think it'd help push him over into becoming Saul.

I was disappointed they didn't start with a present day Saul at Cinnabon clip though. Otherwise, another brilliant episode.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
I'll be shocked if Chuck's not dead. Gotta be. I spent most of the episode assuming it was going to be Nacho who kicked it, but then it did end up making more sense for it to be Chuck. Interesting how he stuck that one final perfect knife in Jimmy's back just as Jimmy was managing to go back to being halfway decent (the thing with the old ladies, taking care of Kim), and Jimmy even seemed to be the bigger man there, too.

Chuck's deal with Howard was what seemed to finally push him over his own edge. It finally got him to realize in some small way that he wasn't the one who was always doing the right thing for the firm, for everyone else. And if he couldn't be the white knight, he falls apart and can't function. Picture perfect way for him to end.

I'm curious how Fring is going to know about the pills. Seems like he couldn't, but he's Gus Fucking Fring, so of course he will. Wonder if he'll outright have Nacho come work for him, or if he'll use Nacho as a spy (seems more likely I guess).

Kind of interesting how (other than the Chuck stuff, of course) the season closed on kind of a high(er) note for Jimmy. Sort of rediscovering his humanity a little.

You're totally right- I also was fully expecting a Cinnabon flashforward going into the episode. Would have been a good addition. Maybe Gilligan and Hutchison wanted the flashback to little Chuck and Jimmy camping out to stand out as much as it could by itself or something like that.

edit: the Emmy noms for BCS this season are going to be pretty silly. It's going to get nominated for all of the following: Best Drama Series, Best Lead Actor (Bob Odenkirk), Best Lead Actress (Rhea Seehorn), Best Supporting Actor (Michael McKean, Johnathan Banks, and Michael Mando ALL are going to get nominated. And Best Writing, Drama (Vince Gilligan).

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Chuck is an asshole and that shit he said to Jimmy was heinous but i still dont necessarily want him to die. Then again maybe it will be better for the plot.

Either way things are really starting to heat up for next season. Its gonna be a loooooong wait

madman

Spoiler:
Like I said and mentioned I think a week or two ago, Chuck's storyline is really up. There's nothing more to do other than maybe flashbacks. His last words to Jimmy have to be a big part of him becoming Saul. We have to get him to Saul somehow and his character serviced its purpose.

As for Howard, I'm not sure what to think. I think he kind of redeemed himself in the finale after coming off like a total dick in the last 2 episodes, maybe 3. He told Chuck that he won but Howard played his cards perfectly, you know Chuck is pissed that Howard is paying out of his own money. We all know what Chuck said to Jimmy was bullshit, so basically he's turned his back on Jimmy and now he's no longer a member of the firm. He has nothing left to live for.

Kim, I don't really have any ideas where her story could go. After her Blockbuster spree (which was great for them to recreate that), it's clear she's realizing she needs some personal time and that she recommended the oil guy to another firm. Does she go back to HHM? Hard to say, I'm curious as to what will drive her away from Jimmy.

We know Nacho doesn't make it to the BB world and he successfully pulled off the reverse pill swap so I don't think that gets him killed. Gus seems to know that Nacho was behind that from the look he gives him. It's also ironic that Gus jumps in to save Hector considering
Spoiler:
Hector kills Gus oh noes!

So what do I think is coming? We see more Lydia. We see Gale come back into the show...errr, introduced into the show. We see Mike get fully involved into the inner workings of Gus' side of the cartel house. We see Don Eladio's reaction to Hector's actions. I can't see this going more than 5 seasons without turning to shit. They could probably actually wrap it up next season if they wanted to. I'm also wondering if any of this is starting to overlap into the BB world as Saul doesn't come into play until Season 2. Without watching Season 1 again I can't say how close we are to that, if there are even any indications.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Chuck didn't have anyone to fight anymore. I think that's what really pushed him over the edge. After Jimmy was out of his life he turned his attention to Howard, but Howard quickly got the better of him, so then he had no one to concentrate on. It's a good end to his story. Jimmy said to chuck at the start of this series that he would end up dying alone, so I was kind of expecting the series to end that way.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
It's absolutely getting renewed, there's nothing to question. Breaking Bad and BCS are equal to or above Mad Men in terms of the most loved high-quality shows that AMC has ever run (I'm purposely not addressing Walking Dead, it's its own thing). It will last as long as Vince Gilligan wants it to last, guaranteed.

edit: BCS is pretty widely regarded, I think, as the best show on tv now that The Americans has had a down year. Maybe The Leftovers or Game of Thrones beats it out, but not by much.

Yeah so I found this bit of info:

We know you're not ending the series here. We know the show does well for AMC. What is the holdup on the official renewal for a fourth season?

Gilligan: Honestly, it's obviously not a secret that Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht left Sony TV and there's just a little bit of reorganizing going at Sony, but the ship, there's still folks at the tiller and and it's just a matter of Who the f knows? (Laughs.) It's gonna be fine. The timing was a bit unfortunate in that there's a little bit of stuff up in the air over at Sony, but it'll all get worked out. A couple of good guys left Sony, but there's a lot of good people still at Sony and it'll all get worked out. We're going forward with the certainty that there is gonna be more and it's just a matter of logistics as to when, exactly, it gets going. We're not worried. I say that having absolutely been worried in the past. I'm [not] worried at all right now. We're gonna forward. There will be a season four. The only question is when will it go on air.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Chuck didn't have anyone to fight anymore. I think that's what really pushed him over the edge. After Jimmy was out of his life he turned his attention to Howard, but Howard quickly got the better of him, so then he had no one to concentrate on. It's a good end to his story. Jimmy said to chuck at the start of this series that he would end up dying alone, so I was kind of expecting the series to end that way.

Yeah that part was really powerful. This season positioned Howard as an awesome character and that scene was his culmination.

I loved it

madman

I was too lazy to look for a BB thread, although I did utilize the SEARCH. FUNCTION.

Anyway on Sunday I spent a good 6-7 hours watching the BB marathon of season 4 and the first couple of S5. Watching Gus visit the retirement home and rub it into Hector's face that he killed Don Eladio was that much better knowing the backstory between those two that we saw on BCS. I got to thinking how the show could've ended there and I would've been pretty happy w/it, but at the same time the finale is one of the best episodes of TV of all time. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I got to thinking how the show could've ended there and I would've been pretty happy w/it, but at the same time the finale is one of the best episodes of TV of all time. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Guess I got what I deserved
Kept you waiting there too long, my love
All that time, without a word
Didn't know you'd think that I'd forget or I'd regret

The special love I have for you
My baby blue

madman

I'm glad this joint is back, I didn't hear about it until Sunday and I watched the episode last night. I'll have to rewatch it before I give any input. I was glad we got another present-day flash forward to start the season. For some reason I find those little bits as intriguing as the pre-BB plot.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Ooo I forgot this was due to start up again!
Thats my plan for when I get home sorted :)

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
First episode back was lacklustre. Nothing memorable.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I liked the ending though.

The comment, the smirk and the whistle. Yeah that was good.

I have no doubts the season will develop, I was just left wanting so much more, especially as a season comeback episode we had been waiting so long for.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Slow, yes, very. I liked Mike's part, though, and as has been mentioned, the ending was good. The cold open also made me realize that the Cinnabon timeline probably also will have a definitive end. Hadn't dawned on me before to treat it like a legit plotline.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm glad this joint is back, I didn't hear about it until Sunday and I watched the episode last night. I'll have to rewatch it before I give any input. I was glad we got another present-day flash forward to start the season. For some reason I find those little bits as intriguing as the pre-BB plot.

Definitely my favourite part of the show. The SIN number scene was so tense and well written. Also the cab scene was good. I cant wait to see where they go with the present day stuff.

madman

This is a pretty good interview w/Vince Gilligan: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/vince-gilligan-better-call-saul-interview-704094/

I never really sat back and thought that here we are in season 4 and he's still not Saul. He's done some slimey shit in the series, but still not Saul level and obviously he hasn't changed his name. Him making Howard think he was the cause of Chuck's death was probably the worst thing he's done so far, but I'm in no hurry to see him become Saul anymore.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Spoiler:
I know what you’ve done. The Salamancas – they do not. Do you understand what I’m saying?

11/10 would buy again :buttrock:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Spoiler:
I know what you’ve done. The Salamancas – they do not. Do you understand what I’m saying?

11/10 would buy again :buttrock:

That scene was awesome. I also loved the scene where Kim unloaded on Howard. This season is off to a good start.

madman

Oh snap--forgot to post my thoughts last night, I watched this piece at like 3am so my memory is fuzzier than Rot's sack.

Spoiler:
Most of the scenes were dimly lit other than Mike w/his niece (I forget), Howard's office and Gus outside Pollo's. Jimmy and Kim's apartment has resembled Chuck's old house, dark and stacked w/boxes of legal docs. Mike and Lydia meeting--dark. Side note: Lydia gives me special feelings in my nether regions. I think when she called Gus from the patio it seemed dimly lit. And of course the Pollo's distro center scenes were dark.

I feel like Jimmy now has the need to nurture Kim, he's all about taking care of her the way he took care of Chuck. He's up making coffee, juicing veggies, bringing home dinner, etc. There is a psychological term for it that escapes me right now where the relationship is defined by one having to take care of the other. I'm not sure what to make of his job interview. Did he really want it when he went back in? Or was he just trying to see if he still had the touch? Did that guy mentioning the old copier being used to make counterfeit money bring back his Slippin Jimmy days? Was seeing the potential to rip off the Hummels part of it? I'll have to re-watch it.

CS mentioned the Kim/Howard scene; I feel like Howard has always only cared about himself/the firm and thinks he can fix anything with money. This is one thing he can't fix and it seemed like what Kim said really got to him. I don't know if he knew what he was doing was demeaning to Jimmy or if he was so loyal to Chuck he simply didn't notice it until Kim pointed out how fucked up all of that was. Letting him pick from the garage seemed well intentioned, but the $5,000 and letting Jimmy head the board for the scholarship was certainly a kick in the nuts.

Mike is doing Mike. He obviously knows his shit, he's looking out for himself and Lydia is an amateur not even close to being on the level of Mike or Gus. I like how Gus sets her straight.

I expected Nacho's death in this episode (I should've known better), but isn't there a reference to him in the BB world? He also seems too strong of a character to kill off especially with his dad and his shop involved. Gus obviously sees some value in Nacho otherwise he would've killed him for what he did to Hector and he made it clear last season, and in EP2, that he wants to be the only one who decides Hector's fate.

OK, nobody read all of that so I'll stop there until I rewatch the first two.