SNES RGB?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
You mean some shit you don't understand? Which assertions of mine do you think need "backing up" exactly?

Here I thought he was just heckling for a schematic.

Anyways, all you need is a vanilla video amp, such as the THS series, as I wrote in the post.

Do you know who really contribute nothing? People who post misinformation based upon empirical anecdotes, which is what 97%* of what RGB modding discussion revolves around.

*Shit, I don't have a source for this

All I am hearing is a complete jackass that really contributes nothing around here being a dick to a well established member such as lemony. There is a clear difference in the sharpness in both systems (coming right off the PPU) and you claim there is no difference (I am not arguing the other information). Go show what you did to actually bring them to spec and prove that this difference can be corrected. You say there should not be a difference but there clearly is. Guess what, the THS7314 using the full application circuit does not fix the problem. It might fix color differences and whatnot but it does not fix this issue so there is definitely something different between the two. Show your work and stop being a complete and utter dick, otherwise fuck off.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Can anyone say definitively which is the best version of the SNES console to get (for the best picture quality in RGB)?
Is it the 1-chip, or does that have emulation?
Is there any way to tell which revision the console is, without opening the console?
You can check the serial, but that is apparently not 100% certain.

http://retrorgb.com/1chipsnes.html

Yes, there are ways... check this out

http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=13

and you can find a nice mouse hoverover picture image quality comparison here:
http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/75

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
well established member
"Bro", I've been here 9 years longer than both of you (and this is my second account).

Go show what you did to actually bring them to spec
Sharpness has nothing to do with the signal's amplitude which is the only thing that can be be "brought to spec", it's a function of transmission bandwidth. If you give any SNES an adequate driver/amplifier, you will get a very sharp picture, probably beyond the system bandwidth of the typical CRT TV.

definitely something different between the two.
I went over this in the first post; neither variant has a video amplifier, and the transistors simply level shift the signal for the RGB encoder. The apparent difference in picture quality I acknowledge is down to the physical DAC implementation (possibly it's bandwidth, noise, distortion) and post-circuitry.

Guess what, the THS7314 using the full application circuit does not fix the problem. It might fix color differences and whatnot but it does not fix this issue
Problem and issue... very descriptive. OK, you're asserting there is an obvious difference with a THS amp--but are you sure you've taken every precaution to ensure proper biasing? I will "stand corrected" (even though I only said I strongly doubt they significantly altered the 1CHIP DAC) if you have more than an anecdotal claim.
Did you read the other post where I mentioned it might not be possible to take video directly from the PPU as-is if it only sinks current?

Show your work
What work? You're not following, my assertions are based on electrical theory, I don't mod consoles (and before you shit on this I only reverse engineer them, design clones, write emulators, and am working on a CRT chassis). If I said something incorrect by all means correct me, but don't ask me to prove Ohm's law to you or something.

stop being a complete and utter dick, otherwise fuck off.
Who are you speaking for, really? You're the only one "butthurt" here.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Sharpness has nothing to do with the signal's amplitude which is the only thing that can be be "brought to spec", it's a function of transmission bandwidth. If you give any SNES an adequate driver/amplifier, you will get a very sharp picture, probably beyond the system bandwidth of the typical CRT TV.

I went over this in the first post; neither variant has a video amplifier, and the transistors simply level shift the signal for the RGB encoder. The apparent difference in picture quality I acknowledge is down to the physical DAC implementation (possibly it's bandwidth, noise, distortion) and post-circuitry.

Problem and issue... very descriptive. OK, you're asserting there is an obvious difference with a THS amp--but are you sure you've taken every precaution to ensure proper biasing? I will stand corrected if you have more than an anecdotal claim.
Did you read the other post where I mentioned it might not be possible to take video directly from the PPU as-is if it only sinks current?

What work? You're not following, my assertions are based on electrical theory, I don't mod consoles (and before you shit on this I only reverse engineer them, design clones, write emulators, and am working on a CRT chassis). If I said something incorrect by all means correct me, but don't ask me to prove Ohm's law to you or something.

Who are you speaking for, really? You're the only one "butthurt" here.

I'm not the one that was going around insulting the knowledge of the members here and talking down to them. You talk to people exactly like Drakon does (except with actual knowledge). You sound like a condescending know it all asshole and that's why I jumped on you when you replied to Lemony. The information you posted is good to know however you present it like a dick while belittling people. Love your comment on the site, if you don't like it here then leave. Maybe Sega-16 will be happy to have you (I'm sorry that was mean, maybe try shmups or assembler games :P ). You come off as a prick even when you are trying to help. Don't like that people replied negatively? Don't say shit like what you said to lemony. We get it, you know shit. Just don't be a dick about it.

As for the THS comment I was referring to the PPU's being different not the amps. On both the 2 PPU systems and the 1 PPU systems I have tried the THS7314 application circuit and the CXA1645 application circuit right off the PPU, after the transistors, and right before the on board encoder (Removing the encoder first of course). They results were the same, the two PPU system was still not as sharp as the single PPU system. Your comment made it sound like a simple amping circuit would clear up any differences (including sharpness) between the two systems. I did not realize you did not mean the sharpness as well since you used a general statement.

I also haven't disagreed much with most the shit you have said, just how you present it and the fact you have not tried it yourself. Theories are great and welcome but you present it all as 100% fact without trying it, then insult peoples knowledge when asked to show your actual findings (yeah he could have asked better I will give you that). Personally I don't really care. I was just hopping in when you made the stop modding comment to lemony. I've already posted everything I have found while working with the system and don't have much more to add. I have a great looking SFC and that is good enough for me.

In short you have a know it all condescending tone, don't expect a polite responses here when talking to people like that. As for me being butthurt? Not at all. I deal with condescending individuals like you all day. I simply don't put up with it when I get home, especially when its directed at a friend.

*edit*

Just saw your comment on time spent here. After that long and you only have 400 posts? Please, you don't do jack shit here. Being here a long time and being a well established member are two completely different things.

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I also haven't disagreed much with most the shit you have said, just how you present it and the fact you have not tried it yourself. Theories are great and welcome but you present it all as 100% fact without trying it, then insult peoples knowledge when asked to show your actual findings (yeah he could have asked better I will give you that).
I'm pretty familiar with kyuusaku/Calpis on other forums and he tends to act like this a lot of the time. I don't doubt his smarts one single bit, buttttt those theories and suggestions don't mean anything if you actually get your hands dirty and try them out on real hardware.

Case in point, on ASSEMbler, he posted a THS7314-based amp for component video on the SNES, which is the one I tried on my Super Fami. Even though I followed his suggestions to the hilt, the colors wound up being too washed out. Really don't understand why he doesn't try this stuff out beforehand, because I probably wouldn't have any issues had he taken the time to experiment with it.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I don't doubt his smarts one single bit, buttttt those theories and suggestions don't mean anything if you actually get your hands dirty and try them out on real hardware.

Thank you that is a much better explanation of my point than I was managing to spit out.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Kyuusaku said:
NTSC SNES/SFC "provide" RGB on the multi-out, but it's not intended to be sent to a TV as-is, they're there for reserved use. All this talk about "strong"/"weak" signals is BS, TV signals are stringently standardized. If you follow the standards you get correct colors with correctly calibrated displays, period.

Proof? Explain officially made scart cables in Japan (not for PAL) that included RGB output.

RGB output was also most likely used for advertising and reviewers. This was a common practice with the NES to use a PPU-10 system to put on the box art, ever notice the screenshots on the super mario bros 3 box had the PPC-10 palette?

No BS on the strength of the color signals. Why would you say something so silly when different models of the SNES output at different Vp-p levels for the RGB signals? Do you even realize the SNES used different video encoders and methods to amp the RGB throughout its revisions? You also realize the levels weren't consistent throughout the models? The SVHC models do not reach 1.7~ vp-p (as the other models do) or anywhere close, (iirc it was around 1.3~vp-p, but I didn't save my data) on the colors line outputs of the multi out.

If this wasn't what you're referring to, you should take the time to see what people are actually discussing before replying with a "no, you're all wrong, because I'm right" attitude

You don't even need a scope to see for yourself. On SVHC models, even s-video will be darker than any other snes models (including the other non-1chip revisions).

Kyuusaku said:
the only difference between the 1CHIP and earlier units output is ..... there shouldn't be a difference if you build a proper driver circuit and attenuate the signal levels to spec! The colors should be effectively identical unless the 1CHIP messed with the DAC linearity for gamma correction or something, which I don't believe is the case. It looks like the difference you see now is just due to two different high impedance output stages each inappropriately driving a TV, with different results. Both are equally wrong though.

Proof? It's been proven otherwise by several people, including those that reverse engineer the actual SNES hardware like Ikari_01. So again, you're spewing nonsense yourself.

SNES_is_da_best said:
With that said, I know the following post is going to upset some people, but that's not its intentions. Its completely objective, and delivers both sides of the picture.

Sorry but you're not making sense to me, you keep saying "who cares?" about the 1Chip being sharper and it's not 'natural' of a SNES, but you constantly keep clinging to hope that a SVHC can achieve the same sharpness, which is fine. I just don't understand the point you're making.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or saying one SNES is better than the other, I'm just laying out information for everyone. But you're flip flopping on everything you say. Just saying.

Lemony Vengeance said:
BTW, Grammar is the last ditch, final bullet an anal retentive asshole fanboy can fire and you misfired. I'm still a dick, you're still an asshole, and I'm taking you to pound town.

I'm not a very aggressive person, but I'll be the first to apologize. I like this community, I don't wanna have any bad vibes here. I understand if you don't accept it and that's fine. Fighting over the internet is pointless anyways.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
SNES Non-mini 1Chip:

Color differences are from the mini's (slightly) stronger rgb signal.

Why not have each mini screenshot right below the corresponding Non-mini 1Chip screenshot? Then it would be easier to compare.

Pasky

I've already put enough effort into this, and gone beyond what was even necessary to put the information out there. If you want it directly below, download them and compare them in a paint program, make your own blog and organize it yourself, etc...

Proof? Explain officially made scart cables in Japan (not for PAL) that included RGB output.

RGB output was also most likely used for advertising and reviewers. This was a common practice with the NES to use a PPU-10 system to put on the box art, ever notice the screenshots on the super mario bros 3 box had the PPC-10 palette?

Yea I think he meant in the "USA". Consumers here rarely even knew about Composite, much less S-Video. While the NES and SNES shipped with Composite and RF cables, most consumers still used RF even if their TV had composite. Even in Japan, composite/rf was used by most regardless of the rarity of a JP-21 rgb cable sitting on a store shelf.

So are you claiming that the current amps people are modding their (pre-1CHIP) SNES's are inadequate? If this is what your saying, then that would mean that a proper amp would yield perfectly sharp picture. If this is the case, then tell everyone here which amp to use, let them test it to see if your right, and be done with it. Thank you.

Pasky

USA & Japan use the exact same motherboards, it still wouldn't make sense.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yea I think he meant in the "USA". Consumers here rarely even knew about Composite, much less S-Video. While the NES and SNES shipped with Composite and RF cables, most consumers still used RF even if their TV had composite. Even in Japan, composite/rf was used by most regardless of the rarity of a JP-21 rgb cable sitting on a store shelf.

Both US and JP NTSC consoles have the exact same circuitry and components in them and use the exact same cables. Nintendo most certainly did have some expectation that people would use their console (at least in Japan) via RGB connection since they marketed the SHVC-010 cable for the Super Fami.

So the idea that it was never intended to be used or used for some other purpose is complete horseshit.

Both US and JP NTSC consoles have the exact same circuitry and components in them and use the exact same cables. Nintendo most certainly did have some expectation that people would use their console (at least in Japan) via RGB connection since they marketed the SHVC-010 cable for the Super Fami.

So the idea that it was never intended to be used or used for some other purpose is complete horseshit.

You misunderstand. I never once said that the Multi-Out was different between regions. I'm fully aware that all SNES consoles (except the Mini) are RGB right out the box.

I was referring to RGB in the USA. In other words (outside of Nintendo Power and game developers) noone ever used the RGB of the SNES in the USA. The TV's didn't have RGB, no RGB cable was ever sold here.

Nintendo knew that 99% of the population (including other countries) would use Composite or RF.

I know you guys are in-love with RGB. I'm not trying to take that away from you. I like it too, but to insinuate that the SNES (or any other retro console) was intended to be viewed in RGB ONLY by the consumer, is a bit of a stretch.

Heck, only Composite/RF connections were sold with these consoles. Not only that, but developers ANTICIPATED the composite/rf signal to be used, as there are many dithered patterns in several SNES games that blend perfectly when viewed via composite/rf on a late-80's early 90's TV, as those TV's had crappy comb filters that would blur colors together.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
if you don't like it here then leave.
Obviously I do, for many months at a time. This board probably has the most assholes of any I've encountered because the "bro" culture here encourages it. I'm not here for "the drama", and drama is all you're instigating right now.

Don't say shit like what you said to lemony
I get you have a crush on lemony, and I was rude to him, but he started it and grow up.

After that long and you only have 400 posts? Please, you don't do jack shit here.
Wahhh, you don't think I'm part of your community because of my quality, not quantity posting habits. All of my posts, most before your time, are only attempting to help people fix their game hardware gratis, or take down the biggest scammer, or trying to get schematics released (thereby starting NG dev). And I guess opening a design to make MVS converters or new AES carts possible without sacrificing original carts, does nothing for the community either.

Maybe I should spam 1000s of posts in the other forums, so they may be lost in the sea of posts about low culture and meme macros, because thats what counts for "rep", right?

don't be a dick about it.
Enough harping on my retort? If you're sensitive about what you don't know, do something about it. I decided to 10 years ago.

As for the THS comment I was referring to the PPU's being different
I get that.

right off the PPU, after the transistors
After the transistors isn't right off the PPU, the transistors introduce non-linearity (distortion).

I did not realize you did not mean the sharpness as well since you used a general statement.
I meant color accuracy and consistency, but I'm sure you can a very sharp picture out of early consoles if you amplify the signal correctly. If the 1CHIP has high frequency noise causing the signal to "ring", people may interpret this as increased sharpness (or other "enhancement"), but it's not, and it probably cannot be removed. If someone actually prefers this ringing, high frequency noise can be added to the true signal simply by turning up the display's sharpness which amplifies high frequency components.

Tried it yourself.
It doesn't matter if I try something myself, I could spend hours probing a SNES and designing a circuit I'm positive is "perfect", only for you to complain the colors are wrong and you're getting some sort of noise and blame the circuit. I'm only explaining what SHOULD work, based established electrical theory and industry standards; I personally don't care for modded consoles and I won't mod mine just to prove the non-point that I could get mod a console with "good" results.

present it all as 100% fact without trying it
I present facts as facts, and strong opinions as strong opinions. Go back and check my wording.

-----

don't mean anything if you actually get your hands dirty and try them out on real hardware.
You seem like a competent modder so I'd have hoped you could understand that I can't cover every base for everyone, chips are built with large tolerances and there's nothing I can do about that. Since the colors were "too washed out" for you, the signal could need attenuation or gain, I have no idea without probing your console. Even if I was sure about the signal, the weak link could be your display, it's settings or even your cable. I'm in the dark about everyone's setup, the best I can do is recommend industry standard circuits, assuming Nintendo did their job, your display is doing its job, and you aren't committing user error.

-----

AFAIK (I don't own one and if I did I'd never pull it apart) they are passive cables and thus deliver high impedance video meant for a high impedance monitor--they're completely unsuitable for actual TV use. "JP21" video was never common in Japan, every display I've personally seen with them have been computer monitors. It seems to me the cables themselves are actually a specialty item, not for widespread consumer use obviously.

RGB output was also most likely used for advertising and reviewers.
What's your point? I didn't say nobody had the ability to use RGB under any circumstances, I said the RGB signals from the multi-out is not suitable for driving a TV and they're not, this is a fact. In Japan, just like other NTSC countries, most people view RGB signals through monitors, not TVs. I'm sure you know this.

This was a common practice with the NES to use a PPU-10 system to put on the box art, ever notice the screenshots on the super mario bros 3 box had the PPC-10 palette?
How is this relevant???

No BS on the strength of the color signals. Why would you say something so silly when different models of the SNES output at different Vp-p levels for the RGB signals?

Do you even realize the SNES used different video encoders and methods to amp the RGB throughout its revisions? You also realize the levels weren't consistent throughout the models? The SVHC models do not reach 1.7~ vp-p (as the other models do) or anywhere close, (iirc it was around 1.3~vp-p, but I didn't save my data) on the colors line outputs of the multi out.
Yes obviously the outputs have different amplitudes and offsets, that's why there are differences when you inappropriately connect them to a TV. Again that's irrelevant because you aren't supposed to use them to drive a TV directly. That is my whole point. If they were meant to drive a TV they'd be ~0.714 Vpp into 75 ohms with 75 ohms output impedance. Japan even has electrical regulations that the SFC might violate if the outputs were directly meant for use due to the DC offset.

Proof? It's been proven otherwise by several people
What? You realize you're appealing to supposed (no offense to him) authority, Ikari_01, over some very vague premise without knowing anything about myself, or I suspect, him. Do you think he'd approve you pitting his supposed word (what exactly?) against someone else? You have a scope so hopefully you aren't a complete moron, take a step back and reread what I wrote and if you aren't familiar with video signals, get familiar before arguing about them.

Plus not that it means anything I actually have done independent reverse engineering of SNES hardware and am somewhat familiar with it, despite it not being one of my main focuses or something I'm "known for" like Ikari_01 is. Since you seem to doubt my "authority" (I myself claim none) go check my posts at NESdev, the handle is the same.

Sorry but you're not making sense to me, you keep saying "who cares?" about the 1Chip being sharper and it's not 'natural' of a SNES
If the 1CHIP has uncorrectable noise, then so be it, it's not correctable, and I don't know because I don't have a 1CHIP. Something I do know is that the color accuracy between the revisions (exhibited here in the thread) can easily be made consistent by properly biasing, attenuating and amplifying the signals, of course unless the bit weighting was changed in the 1CHIP's DACs (which again I don't know, and if they are, it certainly isn't a feature IMO). It doesn't look that way from the pictures people post IMO because every picture in this thread could be explained by poor transmission of the signal to the TV.

For example the prior talk about "ghosting", ie signal reflections, is unquestionably due to poor transmission and not innate to the PPU. If one correctly impedance matched the line, the signal can't reflect to form a ghost...

you constantly keep clinging to hope that a SVHC can achieve the same sharpness
The hope? Either the 1CHIP has significantly higher bandwidth (doubtful) which wouldn't even be visible, the 1CHIP's signal is ringing, or it has stronger transistors to drive post DAC capacitance that limit the bandwidth of "SHVC" models. All are pretty irrelevant because if you stick a high impedance, low capacitance amplifier on a discrete PPU you will get an adequately sharp picture, there is plenty of evidence of this all over the web, and that's the result people get without even driving their TVs correctly. Sharpness is not lacking for most, color accuracy is. It's really hard to swallow that the early DAC's are flat out "blurry" as claimed because they aren't, I can even make out pixel edges through composite! The SNES has really low-bandwidth video, amongst the lowest 240p, so it doesn't take much to get "razor sharp" pixels.

I just don't understand the point you're making.
Nor I yours.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or saying one SNES is better than the other, I'm just laying out information for everyone. But you're flip flopping on everything you say. Just saying.
Please use examples. Just saying.

Last edited:
Where did anyone ever mention RGB only?

Geez...just forget it.

Anyway, back to what Kyuusaku stated. Someone should test what he said regarding the original SNES

but I'm sure you can a very sharp picture out of early consoles if you amplify the signal correctly. If the 1CHIP has high frequency noise causing the signal to "ring", people may interpret this as increased sharpness (or other "enhancement"), but it's not, and it probably cannot be removed.

Guys, give Kyuusaku a chance. Prove him wrong, or right instead of arguing.

Kyuusaku said:
Skips said:
right off the PPU, after the transistors
After the transistors isn't right off the PPU, the transistors introduce non-linearity (distortion)

Haha, I didn't catch that. So these mod's with the original SNES are not being done right.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
You are more than welcome to try it dude. I think its time for you to pick up and iron and try some of this stuff yourself instead of asking us to. My SNES is back together, I'm not taking that thing apart again.

As for this thread...

3POyupA.gif

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Obviously I do, for many months at a time. This board tends to probalby have the most assholes of any I've encountered because the culture here encourages it. I'm not here for "the drama", and drama is all you're instigating right now.

I get you have a crush on lemony, and I was rude to him, but he started it and grow up.

Wahhh, you don't think I'm part of your community because of my quality, not quantity posting habits. All of my posts, most before your time, are only attempting to help people fix their game hardware gratis, or take down the biggest scammer, or trying to get schematics released (thereby starting NG dev). And I guess opening a design to make MVS converters or new AES carts possible without sacrificing original carts, does nothing for the community either.

Maybe I should post in the other forums, getting lost in sea of posts about low culture and memes, because thats what counts, right?

Enough harping on my retort? If you're sensitive about what you don't know, do something about it. I decided to 10 years ago.

I get that.

After the transistors isn't right off the PPU, the transistors introduce non-linearity (distortion).

I meant color accuracy and consistency, but I'm sure you can a very sharp picture out of early consoles if you amplify the signal correctly. If the 1CHIP has high frequency noise causing the signal to "ring", people may interpret this as increased sharpness (or other "enhancement"), but it's not, and it probably cannot be removed.

It doesn't matter if I try something myself, I could spend hours probing a SNES and designing a circuit I'm positive is "perfect", only for you to complain you're getting some sort of noise in your image or the colors are off due to your display's calibration and blaming the circuit. I'm only explaining what SHOULD work, based on industry standards, I personally don't care for modded consoles and I won't mod mine just to prove a point.

I present facts as facts, and strong opinions as strong opinions. Go back and check my wording.

You seem like a competent modder so I'd hope you can understand that I can't cover every base for everyone, chips are built with large tolerances and there's nothing I can do about that. If the colors were too "washed out" for you, the signal could need attenuation or gain, I have no idea without probing your console. Even if I was sure about the signal, the weak link could be your display settings. I'm in the dark about everyone's setup, the best I can do is recommend industry standard circuits, assuming Nintendo did their job, your display is doing its job, and you aren't committing user error.

AFAIK (I don't own one and if I did I'd never pull it apart) they are passive cables and thus deliver high impedance video meant for a high impedance monitor--they're completely unsuitable for TV use. "JP21" video was never common in Japan and they're actually specialty item, not for widespread use.

What's your point? I didn't say nobody had the ability to use RGB under any circumstances, I said the RGB signals from the multi-out is not suitable for driving a TV and they're not, this is a fact.

How is this relevant???

Yes obviously the signals have different amplitudes, but that's irrelevant because you aren't supposed to use them to drive a TV directly. That is my whole point. If they were meant to drive a TV they'd be ~0.714 Vpp into 75 ohms with 75 ohms output impedance. Japan even has electrical regulations that the SFC might violate if the outputs were directly meant for use due to the DC offset.

What? You realize you're appealing to supposed (no offense to him) authority, Ikari_01, over some very vague premise without knowing anything about myself, or I suspect, him. Do you think he'd approve you pitting his supposed word (what exactly?) against someone else? You have a scope so hopefully you aren't a complete moron, take a step back and reread what I wrote and if you aren't familiar with video signals, get familiar before arguing about them.

Plus actually I myself have done independent reverse engineering of SNES hardware and am somewhat familiar with it, despite it not being one of my main focuses. Since you seem to doubt my "authority" (I myself claim none) go check my posts at NESdev, the handle is the same.

If the 1CHIP has uncorrectable noise, then so be it, it's not correctable, and I don't know because I don't have a 1CHIP. Something I do know is that the color accuracy between the revisions (exhibited here in the thread) can be made consistent by properly biasing, attenuating and amplifying the signals, of course unless the bit weighting was changed the 1CHIP's DACs (which again I don't know). It doesn't look that way from the pictures people post IMO because every picture in this thread could be explained by poor transmission of the signal to the TV.

For example the prior talk about "ghosting", ie signal reflections, are unquestionably due to poor transmission and not the PPU. If one correctly impedance matched the line, it won't reflect...

The hope? Either the 1CHIP has significantly higher bandwidth (doubtful), the 1CHIP's signal is ringing, or it has stronger transistors to post DAC capacitance (possible). All are pretty irrelevant because if you stick a high impedance amplifier on a discrete PPU you will get an adequately sharp picture, there is plenty of evidence of this all over the web and few people even drive their TVs correctly. Sharpness is not lacking for most, color accuracy is.

Nor I yours.

Please use examples. Just saying.

LOL a condescending asshole calling people here assholes. All i hear is an "expert" that hasn't tried a damned thing himself.

As I said earlier...

post-27753-you-can-go-fuck-yourself-gif-H-unh5.gif

Pasky

Kyuusaku, you're not paying attention. You quoted me telling SNES_is_da_best as if I was speaking to you. Those last 4 quotes were not directed towards you. I don't doubt your knowledge, but once again, you chime in and speak on subjects not even being discussed with some sort of condescending attitude towards everyone.

As far as your argument, you're going on about things that weren't being discussed here. You're mentioning colors being wrong, when I was speaking in terms of brightness (as in the blues are darker etc...) claiming there is no difference in that area. This is known, only the amplitude difference in colors was being mentioned and you're going on about how it's BS that they're different.

And yes, this thread has lost its usefulness. I tried to help as much as I can, I don't think I have anything else to contribute now.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
And yes, this thread has lost its usefulness. I tried to help as much as I can, I don't think I have anything else to contribute now.

I don't think anyone does anymore, at least nothing tried and tested. It's been going in circles for awhile now.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Give him a chance. Prove him wrong, or right instead of arguing.
There is no way to prove something with anecdotal evidence, I can only prove that people's mods are wrong because they don't meet standards.

Those last 4 quotes were not directed towards you.
My mistake, but my stance appears to align with his, so I mistook them for me amongst the rest and responded to them.

These are what I understand to be your arguments:

-Signal "strength" makes a difference to picture quality
-Discrete PPUs have different colors
-The existence of JP21 cables is proof of Nintendo's intention for RGB use with NTSC consoles
-1CHIPs have a cleaner/sharper/better/whatever picture

To be clear, I don't agree with any of them.

You're mentioning colors being wrong, when I was speaking in terms of brightness (as in the blues are darker etc...)
They're the same thing, individual color brightness is a matter of color accuracy. The amplitude determines brightness for an individual color, and the offset may contribute to either the amplifier or TV clipping the signal, which leads to distortions (color non-linearity); its all the same matter except for sharpness.

LOL a condescending asshole calling people here assholes.
People on this board are assholes, it's always been that way and everyone knows it, yourself included. Maybe I'd fit right in by your estimation if I weren't "condescending" (is it condescending to airquote "condescending"?). I'm not even trying to be condescending, I'm simply trying to argue valid points with much resistance.

All i hear is an "expert" that hasn't tried a damned thing himself.
Now you're just being a jackass. Or are continuing to be.

Last edited:
Kyuusaku said:
SNES_Is_Best said:
Give him (Kyuusaku) a chance. Prove him wrong, or right instead of arguing.
There is no way to prove something with anecdotal evidence, I can only prove that people's mods are wrong because they don't meet standards.

My apologies, but I made a mistake (now fixed). I was actually telling the naysayers on here to give you a chance, and prove YOU right or wrong by modding correctly. I wasn't telling you to prove them right or wrong.

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
You are trying to argue points by talking down to people. Keep thinking what you will but the fact is you sound like a know it all dick with how you present yourself and or information. You might fit in better with this guy . You both talk to people in a similar manner.