SNES RGB?

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
What all has to be done to an NTSC SNES modded to output RGB? Is it as much work as modding a top loader NES?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Normal SNES's output RGB right out of the box. The mini snes requires a very simple mod.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Normal SNES's output RGB right out of the box. The mini snes requires a very simple mod.

Oh sweet!

I didn't know that, finally something I don't half to have modded.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
No problem

All you need is a scart cable with 220uf caps on the R G and B lines. I personally just put RCA jacks on the back of my console with one jack each for R G B and Sync, and put the caps inside the console. I go straight to a PVM from there with RCA to BNC adaptors.

This page is very useful too. NTSC SNES's even output csync clean if you wire to the right pin (scart cables will use cvid, which may or may not need a sync stripper depending on your setup).
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav

I think 'broken' on here had some SCART cables for NTSC SNES's, but if I recall they went quickly. May still be worth checking with him.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
RetroRGB has good info too, he really focused on the SNES a lot. Here is his comparison page: http://www.retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html

A full size SNES most likely has inferior RGB output compared to a mini according to RetroRGB.

RetroRGB is awesome for sure.

The minis arguably have brighter/sharper output, but they're not necessarily "better." I used to be in the 'minis are better' school, but this post makes a lot of sense:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=783428#p783428

The newer PPU (S-CPUN-A) found in the 1CHIP and Mini is worse for several reasons.

1. Cheap, Inaccurate, and operates like a clone device - The 1CHIP/Mini are as Byuu says
"more of a clone system. There are "drastic" changes. Not so much stuff that's going to affect most games directly, but stuff that tells you the chip is radically different on the inside. Things like the SMP Timer Glitch vanishing, different behaviors of the TEST register, some DSP subtleties, the PPU being entirely different, and mid-scanline effects are totally different which affects games like A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol where the plane's shadow is almost invisible."
Not only that, but there are LOTS of graphical glitches in the 1CHIP/Mini (and sound glitches). For example; Graphical Glitches on the top of the screen in games like Aladdin (seen right away in 1st stage) and Mystic Quest (seen immediately on title screen), and other WORSE glitches like the text boxes being out of wack on some games, like Rudra No Hihou or Treasure of the Rudras (while chatting with people in town or small text areas in battles), and some Super FX games running slower than normal.

2. Missing Smoothing (or dithering) Filter - This is 1 of 2 reasons why the newer PPU appears "sharper". But sharper doesn't necessarily mean "better". Nintendo developed added filtering for a reason. Read on (NOTE: my choice of words (ie; filter/smoothing/etc) are probably not accurate. I use these words for two reasons. A.) Because I couldn't think of better words, and B.) Because it helps others to better understand what I'm referring to.)

3. Grossly Overdriven White Levels - This, combined with the missing filter mentioned above results in a what appears to be a cleaner image, but the end result is bloomed whites that hide some details, and jagged edges in tons of graphically complex games like Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Killer Instinct, Super FX Games, Mode 7 Games, other graphically complex games like Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana 2, Secret of Evermore, Mortal Kombat 3, and I could go on and on. Also, the super-high almost bluish whites make the vertical bar in the S-CPUN-A (1CHIP) more noticeable. Fortunately the model 2 has less noise on its PCB board which lessens the vertical bar, but its still there. The whites are absolutely overkill. And it also results in ghosting in many games. The S-CPUN-A looks like a over-contrasted, edge-enhanced clone (which it is).

Truth is, there is no such thing as "blurry" RGB on the original model SNES's (the 1994-1995 models have the S-RGB encoder, which does not properly amp the RGB and results in jailbars). The old SHVC-CPU-01 board with or without the S-ENC looks exactly the way Nintendo wanted it to look. It has the filtering in its PPU's for a reason. To make the graphics "smoother". Simple as that (even the original Genesis has "slight" filtering on it as well) This filtering is 100% intentional. Nintendo didn't "accidentally" create a bad, or poor PPU on its SNES. They knew exactly what they were doing. They did not want jaggies or pixelated looking games, because the SNES would be outputting far more complex graphics than their NES, and if they didn't smooth them a tiny bit, then many games would look pixelated. Nintendo developed their SNES and tweaked the software for their PPU's to their liking, and the PPU's were fine-tuned and not half-arsed as some may assume. Also keep in mind that ALL developers for the SNES were developing games on professional RGB, high quality CRT monitors so they were not concerned with S-Video, or Composite. In other words, when you play your SNES games on the SHVC-CPU-01 via RGB on a CRT, then you are viewing them EXACTLY the way they were meant to be viewed. They were never meant to be viewed without the filtering, or with ultra white levels. Most (if not all) SNES games were developed on development kits that look and play exactly like the SHVC-CPU-01. So you can rest assured that with the original model, your getting 100% accuracy. (and just for the record, all games on on the SHVC-CPU-01 look VERY crisp, smooth, and NOT BLURRY)

So then why did Nintendo release the 1CHIP revision? The same reason why Sega released their Genesis 2 and 3. To simply cut costs. And boy did Nintendo do that well. Even their revisions known as SNS-CPU-RGB and SNS-CPU-APU are cost cutting, and as a result, low grade compared to the original SHVC-CPU-01. The 2nd best is the SNS-CPU-GPM. The rest are trash in in comparison.

If some people prefer the cheap, half-arsed 1CHIP/Mini, with its graphical glitches, and its pixelated, over-sharpened, ultra-white picture, AND cheaper sound module, then your free to choose them. I just wanted to set the record straight as to which revision is the best (not which revision is personal preference), as there is nothing wrong with the original SHVC-CPU-01. Its the way SNES games are suppose to look and play. For example, when Nintendo was finished with creating their SNES and Super Mario World's graphics, they were in essence saying "This is exactly how we want it to look". And guess what? That's how a purist will want to play it. And a cheap, cost-cutting clone is NOT how I want to play it, even IF Nintendo's name is stamped on it. Its just like when Nintendo originally released the Wii. It had 480p and Component output. AND later on, Nintendo released the cheap, cost-cutting alternative. They took out 480p, and they took out Component video. Now let me ask you, which one is going to display Super Mario Galaxy the way it was intended to be viewed? I hope that makes sense.

I know my post is quite long, but I read through this thread a few times and I just had set the record straight once and for all. I've given the facts for people to decide, not to force them into choosing one or the other. Nevertheless, if there was anyone on the fence about ditching their original model for a newer model, then maybe my post will help them to decide to mod their old SHVC-CPU-01 (or SNS-CPU-GPM-01) for component video and forget about buying the 1CHIP/Mini. They are not worth it.

P.S. Game Genie doesn't work on the 1CHIP/Mini ether. Haha. And for the record, I quoted Drakon's post for reference purposes only, as alot of people are being told by other users that the newer PPU (S-CPUN-A) is better, which it is not, for the reasons listed above.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
If leaving the systems stock the original SNES' PPU outputs a blurry picture even via RGB. A stock one chip is better than the two PPU SNES 'but not as good as an RGB modded mini. If you Bypass the internal encoder in the One Chip and build your own amp it will be identical (aside from an almost unnoticeable difference in colors) to the SNES Mini. Both the Mini and the One Chip use the same PPU's and produce a much sharper image than the two PPU systems.

Here are two comparison screenshots of an SNES Mini I sold to Phone Dork and a One Chip SFC with an RGB bypass mod.

SNES MINI

SFC 1 Chip

SNES MINI

SFC 1 Chip

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Forgot to mention your best bet is to get an SNES mini and RGB mod it, you can usually get one of those for 40 to 50 bucks these days.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Could just be your camera, but the red looks kinda orange-ish in those last couple pics.

This is my normal ass SNES, not 1-chip.

5.jpg

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Could just be your camera, but the red looks kinda orange-ish in those last couple pics.

This is my normal ass SNES, not 1-chip.

5.jpg

Yeah its my camera, sometimes it is really bad at picking up reds.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If you Bypass the internal encoder in the One Chip and build your own amp it will be identical (aside from an almost unnoticeable difference in colors) to the SNES Mini.
Huh, that sounds interesting. My brother's SNES is a 1chip model, but it seems to be a little blurry compared to my modded SNES mini so that would explain why it's like that I suppose.

BTW, I got into a rather heated argument on that Racketboy thread and I still can't believe that guy seriously believes that the early models have the best video quality when it's been proven time and time again that the 1chip and mini have a significantly sharper picture and on par with other systems' RGB output.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Huh, that sounds interesting. My brother's SNES is a 1chip model, but it seems to be a little blurry compared to my modded SNES mini so that would explain why it's like that I suppose.

BTW, I got into a rather heated argument on that Racketboy thread and I still can't believe that guy seriously believes that the early models have the best video quality when it's been proven time and time again that the 1chip and mini have a significantly sharper picture and on par with other systems' RGB output.

Yeah, I quoted that guy above. I stayed the hell out of that argument lol.

What he's saying makes sense, but there are very few who agree with him. For me, the RGB from my normal SNES is good enough. I may buy a mini or a one chip if I'm bored some time just to see for myself.

ekek2009

n00b
I went through this phase myself and ended up picking every board revision but a one chip. Honestly, the SNS-CPU-GPM-01 I have looks the best but that's just me. The SNS-CPU-RGB-01 honestly doesn't look that bad, I think it depends on the actual console for the jailbars. I notice that the vertical line is more prominent in the 94-95 range revision though. The only problem with SHVC I discovered was the sound module went out on mine shortly after getting it (on both of them - I purchased two). Easy replacement, but I think the original model is more prone to having issues. I ended up selling my mini because I didn't really use it.

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The only problem with SHVC I discovered was the sound module went out on mine shortly after getting it. Easy replacement, but I think the original model is more prone to having issues.
I think they might be starting to suffer from bad caps as well, I discovered a couple of leaky caps on my SFC (which has the SHVC-CPU-01 board) and wound up recapping the entire system as a preventative measure.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I use RF on my Snes, crazy clean picture. :P

Pandas like it fuzzy.

IMO modded SNES mini is the king. Crystal clear image, a bit better colors (and almost non-existent vertical stripe) plus the smaller console is easier to wedge onto the shelf next to other consoles. :D

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

A stock 1 chip does have a bit of a blur to it due to it being a bit too bright. You could also cut traces on the PCB (or lift the pins on the encoder) and run the RGB out pins on the internal encoder through 150 ohm resistors out to the AV port. This will also eliminate that blur without building your own amp. The only problem with doing this is if your 1 chip suffers from the translucent bar it will still be there, you need to bypass the encoder entirely if you are experiencing that issue.

On a different note...Once bypassed the 1 chip and mini are exactly equal, the 1 chips are not some super awesome SNES revision like so many say it is. It is literally a bigger SNES mini with RGB pre-wired (terribly I might add). They both even suffer from the issue people have called "ghosting" (not to be confused with ghosting on an LCD). I personally have a 1 chip because I enjoy the look of the original Super Famicom over than of the Jr. It is literally the only reason to pick up a 1 chip if you can perform the mods I mentioned.

The Video quality for the SNES goes in this order from worst to best 2 PPU SNES > Stock 1 Chip > Bypassed 1 Chip = Modded SNES Mini. If you want the best video quality RGB mod a mini (cheapest solution, I use 150ohm resistors for CRTs) or bypass a 1 Chip.

ekek2009

n00b
I use RF on my Snes, crazy clean picture. :P

Only the most elite state of the art displays carry RF! You must be ballin'!

I think they might be starting to suffer from bad caps as well, I discovered a couple of leaky caps on my SFC (which has the SHVC-CPU-01 board) and wound up recapping the entire system as a preventative measure.

That's on my list to do as well.... One of these days.

IMO modded SNES mini is the king.

Sparked my creativity!

Super Famicom Jr.png

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Can any of you guys do the mod to a mini if I can find one? Damn hard to find one these days, do they yellow like the original SNES?, minor problem but anyway...

My situation as of now: Don't have an Sony PVM yet (in the process of moving and don't have the room) I do plan on getting one but, I was gonna have an encoder/converter built to go from RGB to component for my current LCD to tide me over until I get one. And I could use it on my N64 that I had RGB modded aswell.

ekek2009

n00b
Can any of you guys do the mod to a mini if I can find one? Damn hard to find one these days, do they yellow like the original SNES?, minor problem but anyway...

YAJ is the best place to look...