Troubleshooting a MV-1FZ with the infamous "Z80 ERROR"

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Oups, forgot to mention it. I tried that, and the bios hung while waiting for the pulses from the clock. Tried with a 4096hz pulse...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Oups, forgot to mention it. I tried that, and the bios hung while waiting for the pulses from the clock. Tried with a 4096hz pulse...

What about the other speeds?

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hum, did not check those. Alas I'm far from home until at least the weekend, but I will try when I get back.
Are you thinking of a partially dead IC?

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Is 4990CLK from NEO-F0 also connected? DIN+CLK+STB must all be good for it to receive any command. If those 3 pins, the crystal and power are all good then TP should be pulsing . If not then the 4990 should be replaced since it has everything needed to output a pulse.

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I checked those 3 pins, and the connection to NEO-F0 was good. I replaced the crystal too.
The only thing I did not replace (D4990 excluded) is the couple of capacitors after the crystal.

I should be able to perform further tests at the beginning of next week, hopefully :-)
Can't wait to say that the repair on these two 1FZ is finally concluded!

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I tested the other speeds and the test hangs every time.
Yesterday I received the replacement D4990A, and after soldering this one to the board, the problem seems to have disappeared!
So, it seems it was a dead clock chip: dead clock, dead smd Z80, dead YM2610 (not to mention the broken traces)... This couple of 1FZ is jinxed :P (BTW, just to be sure I checked the outputs of my PSU without load and under load: 5v and 12v clean. No spikes, no overvoltage).

I'll try to run a few tests with the diagnostic bios this afternoon or tomorrow!

Now, the last problem: one of the two 1FZ has the cart riser with a missing pin in a connector. Any ideas on where I can buy another connector (or alternatively, how to build a replacement pin?)

Last edited:

Asure

Captain Dick,
I assume the cart connector has missing pin?

So. if i had this problem.. I think many of the edge pins are GND (two top, two bottom)..

If it is just a single pin, i would get a pair of small tweezers, then heat up & extract one of the pins on the edge.
Re-insert in place of the broken one..

Also, check here, there is many NC pins on the prog connector.. I think you can borrow from there.. :)
http://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=MVS_cartridge_pinout

hkz

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Moved PRG board top side pin 40 to replace pin 9 on the bottom. Now everything works great!

pnauts

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I bump this thread, I have a similar issue, no sound with unibios and eroor with OEM BIOS on MV2F
Z80 changed no difference.
Then I found that "start P1" didn't worked to make appear the test menu (but the Start button was OK on NEO-C1 pin).
So I changed the Neo-C1 as it manage also the SDdata.
Changed it, then menu now works, colors bars, RTC, inputs, memory detection, DIP switches all ok, but...sound still nok.
I will check the SM1 Rom and eventually flash a new one. The only thing I suspect again is either faulty Neo-D0 or still faulty NEO-C1, I dont see SDW changing but perhaps it's normal.

Last edited:

pnauts

Kuroko's Training Dummy
SM1 changed same result.
NEO-C1 suspected, picked from an unknown working state board.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
SM1 changed same result.
NEO-C1 suspected, picked from an unknown working state board.

Since you already swapped out the C1 and that fixed your controller issues I presume - I would think the D0 is next in line btw. Unless you just happen to have used a C1 that has good controls and bad Z80 related side.

pnauts

Kuroko's Training Dummy
apparently the D0 seems out of suspicion, as the Z80 et SM1 was removed for my initial test, I could check and compare it to the schematic of the wiki.
I discussed with Furrtek and if SDW doesn't output from NEO-C1, it's more related as you wrote, to the Z80 side which is damaged.