Got my Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan Color, and Game Boy Color frontlit

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
null_zpscad4a164.jpg

Rose Colored Gaming did the work. Just waiting for them to send them back.

I also got a new faceplate for my Game Boy micro and new glass screen lenses and new battery covers for my Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Color. I was originally going to go for the GBA backlight mod until I found out they just put the screen from the backlit SP in there, which has awful ghosting and oversaturated colors. The micro will continue to be my primary GBA. I would have preferred a backlit screen in the larger unit but not if it's an inferior one.

Anyway, just thought some of you guys might be interested.

I've had a Wonderswan Color for years but this is really the first time I've gotten into it. The only game I had before that I could play was Blue Wing Blitz because my Japanese isn't great. But since I sent it off I've acquired Judgment Silversword, Makai-Mura, Rockman and Forte: Mirai kara no Choshensa, Rockmane EXE WS, Golden Axe, Guilty Gear Petit 2, Buffers Evolution, Digimon Anode/Cathode Tamer Veedramon Version, Digimon Frontier: Battle Spirit, Digimon Tamers: Battle Spirit, Shin Nippon Pro Wrestling, One Piece Swan Battle, Ultimate Muscle, Pocket Fighter, SD Gundam Operation UC, and Rhyme Rider Kerorican. Gonna have a blast when it gets here.

Also got Rockman Battle and Fighters and Last Blade for the Neo Geo Pocket and the entire run of Mega Man Game Boy games (Rockman World I-V and Xtreme 1 and 2).

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Fuck yeah GBA micro. I have a Famicom edition that I got on clearance for $50 years ago :D

Also, nice looking stuff there. Reminds me of way back when GBA light mods were all the craze and I just had an expansion port snake light for my personal GBA/GB Color.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Life was hard for a handheld gamer in the 90s.

My Lynx has literally never been played on batteries because my father would have had a heart attack. I think I maybe put batteries in my Game Gear a dozen times. So with those two systems I was pretty much tethered to a wall, but at least you could see and play the damn things.

I remember my Game Boy, with a stupid magnifying glass and a light that just caused glare, and clip on speakers and other such nonsense.

Had a stupid worm light for the Game Boy Color, but then I got a Game Boy Light. That was awesome, but it doesn't play Color games.

Flavor

Saver,
Lookin very good, Famicommander!!!

I need to start doing frontlight mods, myself. Thanks for the pic.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Are you finding it easier to play wonderswan with the light? I sold my old one because I just never got into it.

NM: I re-read. Definitely interested in how the WS looks.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Wonderswan Color is definitely hard to see, so I'm really hoping this helps. I will be sure to let you know how it is when it arrives.

You could try a Swancrystal. It has a TFT screen like the NGPC's so it's more reflective, and the display itself doesn't suffer from nearly as much blur and ghosting as the Wonderswan and Wonderswan Color.

I plan to get a Swancrystal someday myself, and I will probably frontlight mod that one as well.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I didn't know there was anyone out there still doing NGPC light mods. Very cool, I might have to get one of mine done.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm actually mildly upset at RCG for their painfully slow communication. The systems were done on Thursday. He let me know by email, and I replied within 20 minutes to send me a photo and invoice. I didn't get that invoice until Monday, and I paid it immediately. He charged me 15 bucks for return shipping and says he will send it "in the next few days". I said that he should have sent it right after I paid, and he simply replied that he doesn't ship every day and that I have to wait.

Plus, when I originally sent the systems he said that I would receive a confirmation email when they arrived at his house. The tracking number was marked as delivered a few days after I sent it, but I didn't receive communication from him until 18 days and a few more emails later.

I was planning to send my Nomad for a new screen and internal battery mod, plus my Turboexpress for a new cap kit and screen. And I would have eventually bought a Swancrystal and had it modded. But now all of that will have to be done by someone with a bit more professionalism.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nice! I still play all three of those portables from time to time in their original configurations.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Scored a headphone adapter for Wonderswan. It cost me 40+ fucking dollars, but it's a lot better than the going rate on eBay.

turq

Quiz Detective
He doesn't quote prices for the mods on his website - - do you mind me asking how much the NGPC light mod cost?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Thank you SO much for posting this. I've been seriously looking at getting a frontlight done to my NGPC, but I had no idea where to look, since I'm nowhere near skilled enough at DIY things to do it myself! I'm getting my quote right freaking now!

famicommander

15 Year Member
He doesn't quote prices for the mods on his website - - do you mind me asking how much the NGPC light mod cost?

My total was $150 for all of the following:
-NGPC frontlight mod
-Wonderswan Color frontlight mod
-New Game Boy Color glass screen lens, frontlight mod
-New Game Boy Advance glass screen lens, battery cover
-Custom Game Boy micro faceplate

He said he was giving me a ~15% discount for getting all of that done at once. I did not get individual price quotes.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Hey guys,

In addition to my complaint about his terribly slow communication and poor customer service, goldenegg over at the Atari Age forums has received a Game Boy Color from Rose Colored Gaming with a bad screen and nonworking A and B buttons.
Thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214405-neo-geo-pocket-color-collecting/

Image:
4zGk5Or.jpg

So yeah, I'm sorry if any of you have a bad experience with this guy because I posted about his site here.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Hey guys,

In addition to my complaint about his terribly slow communication and poor customer service, goldenegg over at the Atari Age forums has received a Game Boy Color from Rose Colored Gaming with a bad screen and nonworking A and B buttons.
Thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214405-neo-geo-pocket-color-collecting/

So yeah, I'm sorry if any of you have a bad experience with this guy because I posted about his site here.

Actually, the "banding" is completely normal and common when front-lighting any handheld with those GBA SP lights. As for the A/B buttons, that does suck.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's hard tracking down wonderswan color games now. I aquired most of the RPG's, but they are really hard to play. Star Hearts and Front Mission are the ones to get.

Even ebay is light on wonderswan. I'm guessing to the wavering interest. I've been looking for Final Lap Special for years.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Just wanted to update you guys. Here's what I posted on Atariage:
Hey guys, told you I'd have an update when they arrived, so here is what I sent wiggy today:

It all arrived today.

The Wonderswan Color and Game Boy Advance are both as expected, no issues whatsoever.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color came back with a good job on the light, but I am a bit disappointed that the screen lens came back scratched. That unit was brand new out of the packaging when I packed it up and sent it to you. I don't expect you to pay for it or anything because it's just the lens, but it's something that you should be aware of in the future. There are now noticeable scratches on what was a brand new screen.

To that end, I was under the impression that I was receiving a "new" screen lens for the Game Boy Color. The lens on the system I got back has significant scratching and permanent, noticeable scuffs. The lighting itself is again to expectations, but the screen lens is not satisfactory.

And finally, the Game Boy micro faceplate. The screen window arrived scratched, smudged, beat up, and dirty. It absolutely looks worse than the one that has been affixed to my system since September of 2005. I removed it immediately after turning the system on and could not be more dissatisfied.

Again, the actual screens are good. No noticeable banding on any of them (except for a tiny bit when using the Swan in the vertical orientation, but it's not bad), even lighting and everything. But the micro faceplate is downright depressing and the GBC screen lens is poor. My entire motivation for buying the micro faceplate was that my old one was beat up after nearly 8 years, but the new faceplate is absolutely worse.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Sucks that your having issues with RGC, everything I've got from them is 100% perfect.

Wiggy is a good dude, just be as patient as you can and he'll do everything he can for ya.

famicommander

15 Year Member
He is not a "good dude". He's a complete and total piece of shit. Here is the response he sent me:
Great.

Try handling things more carefully when you pack them for shipping. That's most likely when you unknowingly scratched it. That, or during the 6 hours of play time you logged before packing it up. I don't expect you to actually be more careful when handling your portables, but it's something that you should be aware of for future reference.

The GBC lens is indeed brand new. I suggest contacting the manufacturer if you're dissatisfied. You may also want to try handling things more carefully when you unpack them.

Wow! That's amazing, especially considering that it was also brand new! I recommend using your original faceplate if you're unhappy with the new one. You can use the new scratched, smudged, and beat up faceplate as a bumper sticker if you like, or simply flush it down the toilet.

I hope this resolves any issues that you're experiencing.

He's a weasel, a liar, a flake, and an asshole.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ROSE COLORED GAMING.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
So he can be compared to someone that beats up and rapes your wife and says "hey it's your fault, she has a pussy and you didn't teach her to fight well enough. Might as well toss her in the gutter and find a new one". Fuck people like that and make sure you post this experience to every damn game site possible.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The shit about me scratching my own systems in the packaging process is just fucking absurd. I've been a collector for as long as I can remember; I've been trading in online communities for the better part of a decade. I know how the hell to pack items for shipment, and I know damn well he caused the damage to the items.

That NGPC literally came right out of the box. I played it for a little to make sure it worked, then I bubble wrapped it and sent it out for shipping.