The best buttons disposition to play neogeo games with a 6 buttons layout?

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
One layout I stumbled upon when hacking up a cheap 6-button stick is
:B::C::D:
:A::A::B:

By duplicating A and B, you get a layout which can be played as pseudo-linear or as the neocd pad layout, whichever feels more appropriate for the situation.

Downside is that you've got two extra buttons which you might hit accidentally.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Should be like a Neo pad.

:C::D:(X)
:A::B:(X)

Out of curiosity, how do you place your hand/fingers on that?

I can see putting my thumb on :A: , index on :C: and middle on :D: , but what about :B: ?

Do you play using just index and middle finger on C and D and then move your hand down to access the other two buttons?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Out of curiosity, how do you place your hand/fingers on that?

I can see putting my thumb on :A: , index on :C: and middle on :D: , but what about :B: ?

Do you play using just index and middle finger on C and D and then move your hand down to access the other two buttons?
Correct. Don't you have to move your fingers down in a 6-button layout as well?

It's not ideal. Obviously a full row of 4 buttons is the way to go, but if you're stuck with two rows of three, this makes sense to me.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Correct. Don't you have to move your fingers down in a 6-button layout as well?

It's not ideal. Obviously a full row of 4 buttons is the way to go, but if you're stuck with two rows of three, this makes sense to me.

It heavily depends on what I'm playing (and the character).

Generally speaking, considering this layout

A B C
D E F

I have my thumb on D, index on A, middle on B, ring on C and pinky on F and move my middle to E when needed.

There are exceptions to that where sometime I move instead my thumb from D to E or position my hand in a completely different way (sometime more or less slanted) in order to cover the buttons I use most.

Tried out

A B C
X X D

And couldn't come to like it. My pinky finger is, uh, "laggy" :D

I want to go back and give

:A: :B: :C:
:D: (X) (X)

another shot as I really don't want to mess with wiring whenever I switch to Capcom fighters.

J-P

NEST Puppet
One layout I stumbled upon when hacking up a cheap 6-button stick is
:B::C::D:
:A::A::B:

By duplicating A and B, you get a layout which can be played as pseudo-linear or as the neocd pad layout, whichever feels more appropriate for the situation.

Downside is that you've got two extra buttons which you might hit accidentally.

I will have to try this. Genius, it's a sideways pad layout + standard ABCD. I used to play DC version of Last Blade II and KOF '99 - they didn't allow decent remapping in game, so I ended up with something similar (but taunt and 1-button special on buttons 5 and 6). I never slipped and pushed by accident, so... this is definitely worth a try.