3DS - Sega 3D Classics Series

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Hate to bump the thread up again but I've been playing a lot of Galaxy Force II and I keep checking to see if we'll ever get the next batch of games and I haven't seen if there's been an update. Has anybody heard anything? I just want my Afterburner II and Outrun!

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
I was thinking about bumping the thread the other day, but decided not too cause it'll just cause more tears for everyone. 3D Fantasy Zone II Double came out a few days ago in Japan. It has the System 16 Fantasy Zone II remake that was included in the PS2 Fantasy Zone Collection and a new survival mode called Link Loop Land.

I doubt we'll hear anything about a stateside release till the whole batch of games is done in Japan.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
3D Thunder Blade is out in Japan. The game is the last release for the 2nd batch of Sega 3D Classics. Lots of nice features including a new stage! Here's hoping we can get some announcements of a western release in the future.

Info from a NeoGAF thread:

@MUWANdo said:
3D trailer is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-gpRtlnPak

They've also updated the site with some new info, here's the tl;dr:

-Stage select with high scores for each stage
-Save state
-Replay recording function with half-speed/double-speed playback
-Move with either the circle pad, d-pad or touch screen
-Supports Circle Pad Pro for use as a second throttle
-Button configs that let you invert the controls for the top-down sections, tap/hold toggle for the fire button, etc
-Five difficulty settings, including a new super-easy difficulty that removes environmental damage
-Adjustable lives stock (6 max, 3 default)
-On/off toggle for the "flight training" info
-Optional gyro controls that mimic pushing the stick on a real cabinet; includes both "tilt" and "rotation" configs
-Display options include original 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 (fullscreen) and virtual cabinet mode with moving housing; additionally, you can set the virtual cabinet mode to display the game in 2D but keep the cabinet/backgrounds in 3D
-Two backgrounds for virtual cabinet mode: an arcade BG and a city/skyscraper BG
-Volume settings for music/sfx/cabinet noises, plus an on/off toggle for cabinet noises
-Sound test with equaliser
-"Extra BGM" option that lets you listen to an arranged soundtrack (no idea if it's new or taken from some other port)

The big addition, however, is Special Mode! Unlocked by beating the last stage in the regular arcade mode, Special Mode includes the following features:

-New helicopter with altered handling and attack power; missiles will now travel along the ground instead of exploding on contact, allowing you to be more aggressive against ground enemies (I think? not familiar with the original game, so I don't know the context)

-New stage with a true last boss

-New enemy patterns and stage layouts

-New enemies not seen in arcade mode

-New title card/intro screens before each boss

-Different virtual cabinet displays with different movement parameters, environmental noises, etc

-Earn lives at the end of each stage based on your kill rate (again, not hugely familiar with the game, hopefully that makes sense in context); there are continues, but no stage select

There are probably some other smaller unlockables that'll be unveiled after the game's been out for a little while, like unlimited credits or extra cabinets/backgrounds, etc.

@MUWANdo said:
Yeah, this is definitely the last of the second batch, and he while he doesn't rule out a third batch it doesn't sound like we can count on it happening any time soon.

I'll go over the interview in more detail later, but here are some tidbits:

-Unlike most of the other games, they were actually able to locate the old AM1 source code for Thunder Blade, but the code they found was an "in-between" revision that didn't neatly conform to any one release version, which meant they had to spend a lot of time cross-checking with various versions of the board to ascertain what was what

-The "Extra BGM" tracks included with 3D Thunder Blade are similar but not identical to the ones features on the Galaxy Force 2/Thunder Blade OST CD; the arrangements are a little more elaborate, and they had to go in and fix the source data so that the songs would loop properly.

-Some of the "new" enemies in the special mode are based on unused enemy graphics that were found in the ROM

-For the new stage, they received assistance from a freelancer who once worked for ZOOM and did pixel art for games like Phalanx X68000, and now does illustrations for the magazine Shooting Gameside. (Here's his Twitter: https://twitter.com/highmafuyuno )

-Okunari likens the original final stage to the Death Star from Episode 4, and the new final stage to the Death Star from Episode 6

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I really hope they come out in time for the Holidays. I'll drop some money on a couple of cheap point cards to get all of them. I miss playing the arcade version of Thunder Blade at FunSpot. They had it for the longest time but I never worked right so they took it out. I hope one day they'll fix it up and bring it back but since nobody really played it I doubt I'll see it again. There's another arcade on the Weirs Beach NH boardwalk with it but it's in horrible shape.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
I'd buy all the 3D Classic games if they come over. I'd double dip for a physical release of the collection! I've never played any version of Thunder Blade so I'm interested in trying it out.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
The next batch can't come soon enough. These releases are pure gold- I bought the entire first wave of them. Definitely adds value/has me picking up my 3DS more often!

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I doubt Sega will release anything other than PSO nowadays................
I downloaded JPN version for my 3DS instead.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I searched for this thread to say this exact thing. Most excited for after burner II and outrun.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ill pick them all up. Thunder Blade, Outrun and AB II are going to be boss

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Definitely going to be picking up this new round of Sega 3D Classics. They did an excellent job on the first round, I can't wait to play some Afterburner II in 3D. :D

It's still kinda sad though that Sega will now have more 3D classics than Nintendo does for their own handheld. Every new NES Virtual Console game that gets released, the question I always ask myself. "Why the hell isn't this in 3-D?!" :rolleyes:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I dunno about thunder blade...c'mon...really? Same thing with Galaxy Force...I dunno man, had they used the Arcade rom instead of the Genesis port I'd be much happier. Space Harrier came out nice though, so maybe there's some hope for Outrun and ABII. I am getting them 2 on the fly!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I got Afterburner II this morning. Nothing but excellence. They went all out even included some extra BMG to go along with the original classic. I like it that they have the full sized deluxe motion cab as well as the US upright model, but they also included the smaller sit down one along with the Japanese upright.

I dunno about thunder blade...c'mon...really? Same thing with Galaxy Force...I dunno man, had they used the Arcade rom instead of the Genesis port I'd be much happier. Space Harrier came out nice though, so maybe there's some hope for Outrun and ABII. I am getting them 2 on the fly!

Are you sure Galaxy Force II is using the Mega Drive/Genesis version? I'm pretty sure it's the arcade version, but then again it's been a VERY long time since I played an original unit. From the videos of it Thunder Blade looks just like the arcade version, same with both versions of Fantasy Zone.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Wow. afterburner is hard.

I really just want Outrun, but it doesnt seem to be out here yet.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

All of the games are the arcade roms. Even the Fantasy Zone II they are going to release will be run on system 16 hardware.

jt4mtb

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
This thread just reminded me that I still need to pick up Afterburner. I downloaded Sonic 1 & Shinobi III; really enjoyed playing those in 3D.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I remember reading somewhere that Japan was getting a physical compilation release of of the Sega 3D Classics.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All of the games are the arcade roms. Even the Fantasy Zone II they are going to release will be run on system 16 hardware.

If that's the case then I didn't like the Galaxy Force port.

Also on another note, the 3D BS annoys the shit out of me, fucking Shinobi III doesn't need to be 3D, it does nothing for it. Instead of putting the effort on 3D BS they should have utilized that effort on a clean and even pixel count that felt native to the 3DS screen, no borders without compromising the integrity of the pixel size. Seriously, most of the time I wonder what the fuck is it that these developers think about pixels when they get squashed and distorted? What the fuck goes through their minds when they do this? I've fucked around with pixels long enough through emulation and creating/editing sprites that even I can make things proper regardless screen ratio nor native resolution. I'm as rudimentary as they come and I can do this, what the fuck?! I repeat WTF?!

Virtual Console is such a joy and yet so much missed potential.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I gotta tweak the controls on Afterburner II. The C-Stick goes too fast and the d-pad goes too slow. I'm also having a problem with my Circle Pad Pro XL with none of the games registering it. I put a brand new battery in it and everything and none of the games I have that support it work. I also finally understand that Galaxy Force II's the enhanced version from the PS2 and not the arcade but then again I haven't played the actual unit in over 20 years so how the hell would I remember. I just hope the controls on OutRun will work better.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
If that's the case then I didn't like the Galaxy Force port.

Also on another note, the 3D BS annoys the shit out of me, fucking Shinobi III doesn't need to be 3D, it does nothing for it. Instead of putting the effort on 3D BS they should have utilized that effort on a clean and even pixel count that felt native to the 3DS screen, no borders without compromising the integrity of the pixel size. Seriously, most of the time I wonder what the fuck is it that these developers think about pixels when they get squashed and distorted? What the fuck goes through their minds when they do this? I've fucked around with pixels long enough through emulation and creating/editing sprites that even I can make things proper regardless screen ratio nor native resolution. I'm as rudimentary as they come and I can do this, what the fuck?! I repeat WTF?!

Virtual Console is such a joy and yet so much missed potential.

Why don't they release these quicker? Why does the Us have to wait half a year longer than Japan?
Why didn't they release the SMS 3d games out the gate?
I think the arcade ports of these games are REALLY well done they added a lot of nice touches in the menus and tons of extra features.
I haven't tried any of the Genesis ports because I also thought why bother? I have a updated Sonic 2d on Steam I can run in 3d and all it really does it put some trees in the foreground and depth layers to the background.
According to this
webpage
quite a bit of work did go into the port. Again I can definitely see it in the arcade ports, this isn't like the like they stole that hackers emu code for the 6-1 Dreamcast game or most of thier other ports on these portable/retro android systems.

Do all Asians look alike to me or does dude on the left look a little like the guy from Walking Dead?
11421704904_139b13aa03.jpg
11520185196_71ef8def4f.jpg

Last edited: