3DS - Sega 3D Classics Series

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Even though I bought the eShop releases already on day 1, there is sufficient bonus content exclusive to this release to justify a re-purchase;

Two 3D Classic will be included that have only previously been available in Japan.
Power Drift
Puyo Puyo 2
The final two games are 'bonus' inclusions, both being from the Master System.
Fantasy Zone II
Maze Walker
Maze Walker was actually playable in 3D when it was originally released, as it used the SegaScope 3D.
Also of note, the cover art at the top was designed by Ken Sugimori, the famous Game Freak veteran and Pokémon designer.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I like how they made a game with 20 year old re-releases with cover art geared toward 7 year olds. I'll be getting it for sure though. The cover does have a sort of charm.

Why not? I plan to pick one up for my niece. She's already rocking mario kart on the 2DS.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It's perfect, I'm down, glad I didn't get any of those titles already, I was thinking of it but holding off paid off...

I did get Outrun, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
It's perfect, I'm down, glad I didn't get any of those titles already, I was thinking of it but holding off paid off...

I did get Outrun, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2

Thode are exactly the ones i picked up. Guess i choose wisely

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
They're the best...I still hope they release the previous Sega Classics here in the US, the art was also excellent...if not I'll eventually get the other games when they're on sale.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I wonder if they plan to do any more for the eShop in the future? Haven't come across any news on this series in a while...

DaveGeorge

NEST Puppet
I bought OutRun, and eventhough I'm no fan of 3D I kind of liked playing this one. But on the other hand, it's OutRun so it's no surprise I enjoyed it. Don't think I'm going to buy any other though.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I have just like 3-4 of those things on my 3DS and I admittedly only used them a few times and never went back. For the life of me I can not find personal value in digital rental bullshit that's DRM tied to any device for more than a few bucks at best, a bit more if it's only ever the only option. This though isn't, you can get a good pile of them on that physical card so it's like why bother, at least here you control it. I'd like to see them do a 2nd volume to tie up the rest of those solid titles that didn't make vol 1 outside of Japan. Then again I'd probably not buy it which sounds bad, but I'd rather use my game gear or genesis instead.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I have just like 3-4 of those things on my 3DS and I admittedly only used them a few times and never went back. For the life of me I can not find personal value in digital rental bullshit that's DRM tied to any device for more than a few bucks at best, a bit more if it's only ever the only option. This though isn't, you can get a good pile of them on that physical card so it's like why bother, at least here you control it. I'd like to see them do a 2nd volume to tie up the rest of those solid titles that didn't make vol 1 outside of Japan. Then again I'd probably not buy it which sounds bad, but I'd rather use my game gear or genesis instead.

I don't mind paying anything up to $5 for DRM-enabled digital downloads, because I look at it as a rental. If I pay $5 for a game and get even a weekend's worth of fun out of it, then I got my money's worth.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That's what I do. I didn't go into a bunch of detail there. I'm fine dropping like $5 in 95% of cases on android/ios and even NN/PSN stuff, but beyond that is few and far between usually something so good that costs so much even with deep discount cuts won't slice far enough. I have made economical exceptions, Pinball Arcade get 1 or 2 tables for $5, or a whole season (10-20) for $30 -- wait for the 2x a year then put a 50% off sale. I'll drop $15 on that because I'll get more than enough quarters out of the seasonal packages.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
The physical version is coming out in Europe now, for those who have been waiting for it. It seems annoying though, that in all regions, they decided to only put *some* of the 3D classics on there, instead of all of them. I suppose they will come out with volume 2 and so on lol. I really like these, I have them all downloaded, but I would pay another $20-30 for a physical copy if it had all of the games on it plus some sweet new extras. The 2 unreleased 3D master system games are not enough.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Tanooki

War Room Troll
And yet outside Japan we're stuck with just one volume on a region locked system. :\ I haven't bought the one that did arrive partly over that reason alone, the other being backlog and much of it. They do good work but Sega really needs to wise up and release those packages outside of their home.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
And yet outside Japan we're stuck with just one volume on a region locked system. :\ I haven't bought the one that did arrive partly over that reason alone, the other being backlog and much of it. They do good work but Sega really needs to wise up and release those packages outside of their home.

Apparently volume 1 gets released in Europe in November according to that article, so maybe they are just taking there time.... Don't lose hope I bet we will see it just might take awhile like the old days where Japan got stuff about 9 months before us or more.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
How are the fantasy zone titles in 3D?

I think it is absolutely fantastic in 3D, and that this is the best way to play the game. I have to admit I'm biased a lot towards these titles in general though - there is a strong nostalgia factor in effect for me.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
So the mystery game ended up being Turbo Outrun. Which makes me happy, but not Outrunners happy.

You get the sense that this series is about to move from winding down to wrapping up, which makes me pretty sad. I hope SEGA has learned from this effort and keeps at it. M2 deserves ridiculous amounts of credit for the quality of this work!

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Heard about this. Thunder force 3 will look great in 3D. So much parallax scrolling...

Tanooki

War Room Troll
But again you'll need to have a hacked 3DS or a Japanese system since they're being douches about releasing the bundles outside of their own country right?

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
I remember the Japan only physical Classics compilation was one of the only 3DS cards that would not work even with hax. I wonder if anyone managed to remedy that, either way great to see Thunderforce announced, fantastic shooter.

I reckon the unrevealed games are either Alien Syndrome or Alien Soldier.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Well I thought so. I guess when it comes down to it, eventually someone will make a solid flash kit just like for DS and that'll serve them right for region locking. Jerks. Didn't do it until they got paranoid over the online intrusion with DSi and it has sucked that way ever since.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Totally agree, absolute dick move by Nintendo to lock the console. Most of my importing was always for handhelds, they could have made some serious cash off me with the 3DS.