YES OR NO : Can England win the world cup

Naika

Street Hoop Star
ViolentStorm and Synrgy have very good points, and unfortunately, England's "Lump it over and hope to God" style of play is already a staple. With no discipline, no emphasis on individual technique and an apparent disdain on the passing game (my observation, though others can disagree), I don't think they will win a WC anytime soon. Also, the English media appear to be notorious for passing the blame on foreigners when much can be said about the lack of proper development for homegrown players (this is the same media mind you that appears to deride teams like Arsenal on a near consistent basis, cough cough Phil McNulty).

synrgy87

n00b
ViolentStorm and Synrgy have very good points, and unfortunately, England's "Lump it over and hope to God" style of play is already a staple. With no discipline, no emphasis on individual technique and an apparent disdain on the passing game (my observation, though others can disagree), I don't think they will win a WC anytime soon. Also, the English media appear to be notorious for passing the blame on foreigners when much can be said about the lack of proper development for homegrown players (this is the same media mind you that appears to deride teams like Arsenal on a near consistent basis, cough cough Phil McNulty).

pretty much nailed it there,

don't see any Shearers, Ferdinands, Gazzas, Beardsleys, Beckhams, Owens, etc rising up

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I feel like those types of players may take a while to develop, but who knows. I heard there were inquiries as to whether getting England onto Futsal might be an option to develop individual skill, especially since it may be a good way to practice more during the winter months. My observation is that the England national team always has the physicality, but none of the movement and class that other international teams possess. No one is expecting a Messi-like figure to come forward, but a little more passing, a lot more positivity and yes, more courage going forward would be good. Parking the bus and playing a negative game may be safe, but it won't win you any plaudits.
pretty much nailed it there,

don't see any Shearers, Ferdinands, Gazzas, Beardsleys, Beckhams, Owens, etc rising up

Mero

New Challenger
Only just seen this thread, my answer to the OP's question is a resounding NO.

The last time I felt cautiously optimistic that England might be able to do something good was at France '98, I think it'll more like WC 2098 before we might see another English victory with the way things stand at the moment.

Also, the question should be " Are England even going to FUCKING QUALIFY for the World Cup?", it's definitely not a certainty at the moment.:oh_no:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Only just seen this thread, my answer to the OP's question is a resounding NO.

The last time I felt cautiously optimistic that England might be able to do something good was at France '98, I think it'll more like WC 2098 before we might see another English victory with the way things stand at the moment.

Also, the question should be " Are England even going to FUCKING QUALIFY for the World Cup?", it's definitely not a certainty at the moment.:oh_no:

As much as I want to NOT say that, the prospect that England won't qualify is very worrisome.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
England will be there to win it, Just look at what happened in the the tennis Andy Murry say no more
Next stop the world cup........

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
England will be there to win it, Just look at what happened in the the tennis Andy Murry say no more
Next stop the world cup........

Yeah but Andy isn't English dude... lol. ;)

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The Scottish can keep him, I just wonder how he would have fared if Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer would have still been in the tournament?
Well, they obviously weren't on top of their game anyway. They got knocked out.

Djokovic is No.1 seed. Murray is No.2. He beat Djokovic in one of the most ridiculous Wimbledon finals I have seen outside of the Nadal Federer final years ago.

Murray earned it, 3 - 0.

Personally, I like him. He's more interested in the competition that the showmanship. Loses his cool openly on court... with himself. Just seems normal.

Anyway, this is about England failing to qualify for the WCup. Not trying to derail...

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
England Ladies will win the World Cup first.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well, they obviously weren't on top of their game anyway. They got knocked out.

Djokovic is No.1 seed. Murray is No.2. He beat Djokovic in one of the most ridiculous Wimbledon finals I have seen outside of the Nadal Federer final years ago.

Murray earned it, 3 - 0.

Personally, I like him. He's more interested in the competition that the showmanship. Loses his cool openly on court... with himself. Just seems normal.

Anyway, this is about England failing to qualify for the WCup. Not trying to derail...

exactly.

Now if these were 2005, Federer would have probably dismantled anyone. And if this were 1996, an American would have done it.

Thank god that tennis players aren't able to play forever. Age levels all playing fields.

511318e9e6f8d.image.jpg

his serve sucks now.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Joe Hart v Robert lewandowski ,that's the key battle England need to win if they are to qualify for barzil 2014,

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Now England can start to dream of winning the world cup , potentially every team has as chance so why not England
Question which players are going to the world cup ?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Obviously England has a chance, but it's been long since Eric Cantona was born, and he can't be born twice.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
England do a have a chance but a slim chance at that.

Things you have to take into account is that Brazil are the host's of the tournament the players are going to find at hard to climatise to the heat as we are not used to those sort of temperatures over here in England.

Excuses aside we will probably make it past the group stages and then get knocked in the quarter finals.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
It was conspiracy not to let England host the 2020 world cup and now I fear they (fifa) are conspiring against England not to win the world

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
England do a have a chance but a slim chance at that.

Things you have to take into account is that Brazil are the host's of the tournament the players are going to find at hard to climatise to the heat as we are not used to those sort of temperatures over here in England.

Excuses aside we will probably make it past the group stages and then get knocked in the quarter finals.

Yeah I'd go with that. Can't wait for Euro 2016, putting £20 on Belgium to win it. I would do it for the WC, but I doubt they'll come out as champions.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
No and i honestly i cant think of anything worse than if England won the world cup.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Belgium will be the dark horse in the tournament. After this World Cup, they will probably hire a top manager but by then their window of a chance will be closed.