CPS3 vs NEO GEO

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
This is an old fashioned thread, I now the different specs and all, I know that SFIII3rd has wonderful animation work but...

-since my cps3 source is MAME I cannot be sure about this-

Neo-Geo games look much more crisp and "defined", graphics show a level of solidity cps3 doesn't seem to have.

for example you can compare Garou to 3rd strike, what do you think about this?

By the way, honestly, I feel sad because many roads were started back in the days and none got to their highest possibilities...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I can't see comparing CPS-III with Neo-Geo. Now comparing CPS-II with Neo-Geo is more like it. I still think the CPS-II was is powerful and had better graphics.

I think 3rd Strike was a much better looking game then Garou.

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
it's just art style/technique differences as far as crispness and "definition" are concerned, I'm pretty sure.

The backgrounds in third strike for example look a little blurry probably because the realistic artstyle is less seamless with limited colors/resolution than a more cartoony style.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
I love "old fashioned" threads like these. It´s here that should be Thee drama not on sad and soulless threats.
For me its Neo GEo over CPS3 anyday. And yes you can compare both, Neo Geo was ahead of its time...and NO. Third Strike its not a better looking game than MotW. Even tough 3 Strike has bigger and well animated sprites, the backgrounds don´t have half of the detail and animation of Garou´s background. And the color palette in Gaoru is so much nicer. Get in front a character and press high punch in 3S, now do the same in Garou.Garou has a much more physical satisfaction in its animation....

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I can't see comparing CPS-III with Neo-Geo. Now comparing CPS-II with Neo-Geo is more like it. I still think the CPS-II was more powerful and had better graphics.

I think 3rd Strike was a much better looking game then Garou.
Isn't the Neo Geo somewhere in between the CPS-1 and the CPS-2 in terms of graphics and sound?
As far as the sprites go, SFIII maybe has a slight edge over Garou. But they both look way better than fighting games which have low frame rates for their fighters.
The Garou backgrounds might have a lot of detail, but the relatively low-res of the Neo lets down some of them. The Neo had slightly lower res than the CPS-1 (but better graphics and sound). The music in Garou isn't as good as Third Strike (and some of the other Neo fighting games, like Last Blade).

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
...and NO. Third Strike its not a better looking game than MotW. Even tough 3 Strike has bigger and well animated sprites, the backgrounds don´t have half of the detail and animation of Garou´s background. And the color palette in Gaoru is so much nicer. Get in front a character and press high punch in 3S, now do the same in Garou.Garou has a much more physical satisfaction in its animation....
I would probably agree that 3S isn't a better looking game overall, but I still think the character animations, look and designs are better in 3S. As a better comparison, I would say 2I looks better overall vs MOTW.

Also re: HP in MOTW... like the Last Blade series, I've always felt MOTW's standard attacks actually lack that definitive feeling of impact you get from many other 2D fighters.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
3s was just the 5th game for the platform. Had Capcom made 30+ games for it, they probably would have pushed the hardware more.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
3s was just the 5th game for the platform. Had Capcom made 30+ games for it, they probably would have pushed the hardware more.

That's a good point. There was surely more in the tank than what was shown in 3S.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Isn't the Neo Geo somewhere in between the CPS-1 and the CPS-2 in terms of graphics and sound?

It's hard to compare them. the CPS1 and CPS2 both are slightly higher res than the Neo (384x224 versus 320x224), but the Neo has a larger color palette. The CPS2 is 25% faster than the Neo (16mhz versus 12mhz).

IMO the extra resolution of the CPS's gives them the edge. Overall I feel CPS games look better than Neo games.

Yun

New Challenger
Doesn't the CPS-2 have a memory size limitation? As far as hardware goes I would still give the nod to the NEO GEO, about their libraries it gets more difficult to decide

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Doesn't the CPS-2 have a memory size limitation?

Does it? The B board has only so many slots for program ROMs. But some games added daughterboards. They added them for more graphics/sound, not sure if for more code too. I wouldn't be surprised if the CPS2 does have a stricter size limitation though.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I find it hard to believe this discussion has gone on for as long as it has without some image proof. People post some pics or vids.

I would say the graphical advantage goes to CPS3 hands down. Hell even CPS2 hands the neo its ass.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I would say the graphical advantage goes to CPS3 hands down.

Of course. The CPS3 is significantly more powerful than the Neo in every regard. Lord Tibor was coming from a subjective viewpoint, which isn't very debatable.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Neo Geo
---------
320x224 Resolution
4096 Colors
16-bit Palette
380 Sprites
16x512 Sprite Size
3 Parallax Backgrounds
64KB Video RAM

Truth is, if there was ever an MVS2, it would have blown everything out of the water.

CPS2 could have had even bigger games if Capcom used more bankswitching.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Third Strike its not a better looking game than MotW.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Not only do I think 3rd strike is a better looking game, I think it blows it out of the water. I even think alpha 2 and 3 look better and are overall better then Garou. I don't need a shit ton of animations in the background. Its not a bad thing but I prefer a simpler background like Ryu's stage in SFII or the Sagat Vs Ryu grass field in SF Alpha 2.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder

This is the main point. Neo-geo was developed for more than 10 years. Look at the earlier titles and then look at he later titles. The technique improved every year and the developers really knew how to get the max out of the system at the end.

CPS3 was developed on for only around 3 years. If they had just a few more years, the games would have been incredible. There was still rooms for expansion on the motherboard also.

SCARTicus

n00b
CPS3 just plain looks better, no contest. NeoGeo is where the games are, though. I have no desire to own a CPS3, but NeoGeo is irresistable.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Now you're necrobumping.

Can a mod please ban this shitstain?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I think that the Neo Geo could outperform the CPS3.

Dumb... really dumb... consider yourself on notice...

Now you're necrobumping.

Can a mod please ban this shitstain?

Warning sent... he's hit my radar now...

How can they even reach the page this post was...?

Easy... search function and if you know what to look for... it's relatively simple..

xROTx

PS. Necro bumping without any good reason = bad...:oh_no: