CPS3 vs NEO GEO

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
necrobumping of the carrion kind...

In all seriousness 3rdS backgrounds are prerendered, that's why they have that blurry looks. CPS3 is capable of great solid sprites, check out 2ndI, or NG. Jojo's is also amazing looking, plays good too! Warzard has that classic CPSII faded look, like Progear, EcoFighters, Muscle Bomber Duo, etc. Anyway, I always felt CPS3 could have been so much more had the industry (at least Capcom) had stayed with 2D for a few years longer.

Sometimes I wonder if the progress of making such games could have sharpen even further, making new effects, new technics, but still working within the confines of a 2D pixel sprite.

Guilty Gear X had the right idea, they stepped 2D a bit farther than anyone before, and the things they used made it seem so fresh, it's almost as if the game is not 2D and it's all CG...I know it sounds dumb, but it's all 2D, however the pixels are so fine the 2D pixelated look takes a seat to a more freehand look.

A bad way of doing this way too early was Pretty Fighter X, the game is awful in terms of combat, looks pretty meh too, it just wasn't implemented right, just not the right time. There was another game after that for the Saturn based on an anime, Kenyo? Tengu? I dunno, some chibbi kid with a backwards hat and big eyes fighting regular people, it looked cool, never played it though.

GGXrd seems like a good mix of 3D 2D, I like it but I'm derailing heavily now.

As for Neo looking better than CPS3...I dunno, Neo has a magic of its own but objectively speaking I think CPS3 was the graphic pinnacle of that era. It close the doors with a bang and left a small group of games that are a marvel to play to this day.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ninku on Sega Saturn looked like a gatdanged anime2d fighter. Amazing what they did tbh.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I know this thread was necro bumped and much has already been said, but it really would have been interesting to see how the Hyper 64 would have performed against the CPS3 when it came to possible 2d capabilities, imho.

Both companies essentially went in opposite directions from each other. SNK doubled down on 3d hardware while capcom went with 2d. Even though capcom would eventually develop titles such as street fighter ex and rivals schools, it is interesting that capcom dipped their toes in the 3d fighter water by distributing the arcade version of Tamsoft's Battle Arena Toshinden 2 before then.

Had Sega and Namco not gone 3d, and if 2d still reigned supreme in the late 90's, a HNG64 vs CPS3 rivalry may have produced a killer 2d library.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The portraits on both Samshos for the HNG64 are nothing short of incredible.

Surprisingly enough the N64 was also capable of this.

What a wasted opportunity for 2D to have evolved further.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i can't see any one preferring cps3 over neo geo. like it has 3 fucking street fighter 3 games and 2 jojo games and some other shit no one cares about.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
When i think of cps3 i think Jojos Bizarre adventure and third strike. Isnt cps3 very finicky? Graphically the cps3 would beat the neo, but seeing as there was a tiny library of cps3 games guess you could say the neo geo out performed the cps3 in that aspect.
Either way i normally wouldnt even compare the 2.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
Neo Geo is my absolute very favorite no questioned asked but obviously the CPS3 is far stronger then the Neo Geo. Love my Third Strike setup, but I love my Neo hardware even more doesn't mean it's better then Capcoms.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
CPS3 had a lot of potential, unfortunately by then 3D gaming was completely taking over, they never a chance to utilize the platform to it's fullest. As for systems power I always felt the Neo might place between the CPS1 and CPS2, but in terms of actual content I think the Neo had some really beautiful games that can compete in terms of graphics with some of the nicer CPS2 games, but of course this is completely subjective.

dagoto19

n00b
I'll take CPS3 any day for when my friends come over as they're Jojo fans (pre-anime) and the ones who aren't ooze over the style that 3rd Strike provides.
Though I enjoy myself more when any of them get curious over the big red cab or wanna throw down in KOF.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
ElectricGrave, is that really true about the 3rd Strike BG's? I SWORE for years they looked prerendered but I wasn't positive. I just knew they looked like trash compared to NG/2I and Warzard (super under-rated BG's btw). Anyway as for the question at hand, although I love the sprites/animation in the SF3 games better than anything on the Neo, CPS-3 has never had anything comparable to some of the backgrounds in the King of Fighters/Last Blade games, at least detail-wise. Really, the main thing CPS-3 had over
even CPS-2 was the CD storage space.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wouldn't call the 3rdS stages trash, they're just pre-rendered and it clashes heavily with the character sprites 'cause they're so clean.
sf3ts-gill.png

The CPS3 has a higher resolution over anything before it in terms of arcade 2D. Is it better than Neo? lol, from a hardware stand point and capabilities, yeah perhaps, but it's not a fair comparison, two different worlds.

IS 3rdS better than MOTW? It's matter of preference IMHO. I only say MOTW 'cause that's the closest thing to a CAPCOM game SNK ever did.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
3S is miles better than motw.
And the cps3 is .. why are we even comparing this

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...and I agree to an extent but some people don't, some people prefer MOTW and it's not a bad choice the game is good. My point is, comparing the Neo to CPS3 is like comparing 3rdS to MOTW, about same time release, about the same sorta inputs, although MOTW hurts horribly in the charger department only having Kain to work with.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
He really does, I feel cheap as hell using him but he's the only charger :(