Last Resort: THe more I play it, the more I love it

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
its so good because its the most affordable on the AES and even the MVS now as Pulstar and Blazingstar went up in price there as well

Blazing Star is still cheaper than Last Resort on MVS, but Pulstar is in a whole other league. I just picked up an MVS copy of Last Resort about a month ago, and I've been loving it. The game is difficult, but the first couple stages aren't so bad. I am seeing some progress at least.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Last Resort has that memorable epic first stage. And at that time of it's release it was breathtaking as far as the graphics and the sprites put on the screen. I know people complain about the slowdown, but it really is needed for the strategy and manuevering. An example would be the end of the second stage with all those gun turrets. You definitely need the slowdown there or it would be impossible.

My only gripe with Last Resort is that the very first screen of the game is a ripoff of the cityscape from Akira.

Well, there's also that dismembered Terminator boss with a dopey expression, and the penis snake boss with retractable foreskin.

Actually, all that stuff makes the game even cooler!!!
Hard to beat Last Resorts music or atmosphere or graphics or gameplay...

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I like Last Resort well enough, but I think Pulstar has a more forgiving first stage to it that's easier to get into as the patterns are simpler to learn and overall speed of the stage is faster. The patterns in Last Resort and slow speed of the enemy waves makes it a bit tedious if you die at all during the tunnel. The first stage makes or breaks a game and Last Resort's is definitely one of those where I can see people not seeing it through to the boss.

Last edited:

kirbys

n00b
Just got myself Last Resort on MVS and I´m loving it. This game has aged surprisingly well. I have to agree, it´s a masterpiece!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I like Last Resort well enough, but I think Pulstar has a more forgiving first stage to it that's easier to get into as the patterns are simpler to learn and overall speed of the stage is faster. The patterns in Last Resort and slow speed of the enemy waves makes it a bit tedious if you die at all during the tunnel. The first stage makes or breaks a game and Last Resort's is definitely one of those where I can see people not seeing it through to the boss.

Here's the thing though: After the first stage of Pulstar, if you die you may as well just quit. Last Resort is way more accessible than Pulstar to me and the first stage is classic stuff with all the neat graphical touches and Jack to the Metro. I'm not a fan of the rank system but otherwise LR > Pulstar to me. 2 player co-op, better learning curve and it's just more fun.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
For some reason I associate R-Type II with Last Resort, have the same feel to me. Which isn't bad btw.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Last Resort is absolutely beautiful.

The graphical direction and OST are absolutely fantastic.
I said before somewhere else around here - Its only flaw is being too short.
I'd rather have 7 or 8 stage in one loop rather than 5 and 2 loops.
Other than that, you can't go wrong with this one.

This is a serious SNK effort of that period. It still holds up very well.
Apart from the bosses and the game being a bit too short, there are magical touches everywhere.

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
Damn I like to fully introduce myself on how I was finally able to be part of the AES/MVS family but I need to add 1 last thing on my Neo Geo, yet I REALLY want to talk about this game so I'll make this an exception.

Yes this game is good, freaking good. I remember learning about it in 2009 being amazed by the visuals and sound on stage 1. Since then I only played the 1st and 2nd lvls on an emulator because I wanted to play the rest on actual hardware for the full experience.

Not just 2 days ago, someone on eBay listed a boxed copy of this game for $200. I really hate and try not to spend more than $180 on a game but I had remember 2 things, Neo Geo collecting is much more aggressive than MD/SNES and from what I've seen Last Resort sell for before. This was honestly a pretty good deal, seeing how it even had the case included.

I am now a proud owner of what is quickly becoming one of my most favorite shooters ever.
This is my 4th AES game to obtain and my 1st shmup to my AES collection.
20150712_195601_zps6jsgrfzl.jpg

Even has it's old store's stickers.
20150712_194743_zpsoeaoynci.jpg

I've already mastered the 1st lvl but jesus it's going to take some time for me to learn the patterns of the later lvls. So far I have lived till lvl 3.

Last edited:

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Congrats on getting Last Resort for the Aes. $200 sounds like a pretty good deal on it to me. It is a great game which does remind me a lot of R-type. I appreciate all of the little graphical touches as well as the music. As others have said though it is a tough one. I'm usually pretty decent at these kind of games but Last Resort provides plenty of challenge as well as some frustration.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the game was way too hard for me.

I remember it well first of all in 1992.

I got to play it first in 1998 when NeoGeo Emulators appeared as Neorage.

It is perhaps the hori Shmup I have played the most. I can 1CC both loops on hard mode.

I have two copies of it on AES. One copy is in pristine condition but the other is damaged. It was the third title I got when I bought my first NeoGeo back in 1999.

I also have the NGCD and the soundtrack on CD.

If you have played the MVS or AES version have a look at the NGCD version as the soundtrack is different and not bad at all. Soundtrack is very tight and well crafted.

I love to this day. The music is amazing, the look is brilliant.

It is also fun to play with another player too.

I recommend it fully to Shmuppers who like R-Type style games as it really is an R-Type clone done well.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've picked this up just recently and damn it's hard! I'm usually pretty good at shooters, not to the level of some of you guys but I don't have much trouble, but this one has me beat so far. I'm going to need a lot more practice, I just with I had a Unibios in my AES so that I could at least have unlimited continues.

With vertical Shmups it is all practice, MattBlah.

Nicely polished graphics though. I thought at the time it has some high resolution due to how fine they did the pixel art on the player's ships but it is a standard resolution.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
With vertical Shmups it is all practice, MattBlah.

Nicely polished graphics though. I thought at the time it has some high resolution due to how fine they did the pixel art on the player's ships but it is a standard resolution.

Last Resort is possibly the best vertical shmup ever.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
That could be it, most of the shooters I play and love are vertical.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Been playing L.R. all weekend. Funny I never really tried the (L) weapon upgrade. Damn big mistake on my part, it made the first loop a cake walk. The 4th boss you don't even half to get on the right side at all. I always use to get the (G) red always on the last stage. But it made the asteroid storm on the last half a 50/50 shot at times w/o dying. The second loop is a good challenge the game really cranks shit up. :mad:

Last edited:

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
Lovin it since 92! Great game, beautiful grafx, killer soundteack, perfect sfx. I loved the style of the older generation Neo Geo games and Last Resort bretty much sums it up.