Neo-Geo racing circuit's games review!!!

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
First of all i would like to give my special thank to Nightmare Tony, i didn't know him, but with the circuit contribution, he gave us hours of renewed fun with Neo-Geo.
And a personal thank to Caius who fisically made the circuits for me.

You know some months ago Tony released a schematic for a racing circuit for neo-geo, you can find the original thread here

I was quite excited about the racing circuit, so i made 2 minicabs, made out of two small videopoker/slot machines.
I modified one with a 2p spinner panel and the second one with a racing wheel.

p1040829l.jpg

I would like to make a short review of compatibility with Tony circuit, because not every game responds the same way, expecially due to different "sensibility" and respose to the left and right inputs.
So, some games are perfect, on others the rotation feels too much sensible, so it can be hard to play.

I made a list of games i think we can enjoy with this device, and i gave them a score:
* = too sensible, difficult to play
** = good respose
*** = perfect game, a joy to play!

I divided the list into "Steering Wheel" games and "Spinner" games, but you can of course play both with the same device.
I added to the list of spinner games some "unsuspected" ones.
As the circuit uses left and right inputs, every game that doesn't use up and down to play, can be good for this list.
So i surprisingly found great games to play, like Puzzle Bobble or Ghostlop, they are really good with a spinner, i can't think of playing them again with a stupid joystick ;)
I regret to made the panel with just one push button, so i can't really play Ghostlop, but the spinner movement is really perfect.
Puzzle Bobble is the real spinner God.

Steering wheel
--------------
Thrash Rally ***
Neo Drift Out *
Over Top **
Riding Hero **

Spinner
-------

Puzzle Bobble 1/2 ***
Puzzle de Pon /R ***
Pop 'n Bounce *** (game ***, sensibility **)
Ghostlop ***
Magical Drop 2/3 * (the spinner control feels a little strange, it's not a game for spinner)
Money Puzzle Exchanger * (same as Magical Drop)
Treasures of the Caribbean ** (you need "down" button to play)
Puzzled ** (you need "down" button to play)
Panic Bomber ** (you need "down" button to play)

My top 3 is:
-Thrash Rally
-Pop 'n Bounce
-Puzzle Bobble

About Pop'n Bounce i wrote a note, because it is the perfect game to play with a friend and "arkanoid/clones = spinner", but the spinner is a little too sensible, it would be the real top game if it had a little better response.

It's a pity Neo Drift Out is really too sensible to play, you have to make really short movements, so it's ok, but it's just not confortable to play.

Some games requires a "down" button to play, some for gameplay (TotC, Puzzled, Panic Bomber), some to select cars or write your name (Thrash rally, Riding Hero...), so if you are planning to make a spinner/racing cab, check the number of buttons you need, i think 3 extra buttons is a good choice to play every game (A,B,down)... sometimes you may need an "up" button too, but i think it's not necessary.

I think Tony's circuit needs some kind of upgrade to calibrate the sensibility of the device, so every game should be perfect to play... does anyone have any ideas about making it? :)

Last edited:

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Today i completed Thrash Rally "Paris-Dakar" on first try, i never did it with a joystick, the steering wheel really gives a realistic touch (of course it does...).
I really recommend to neo-geo lovers to make a cab with this device (maybe a custom stick for aes too?), because it really gives a new life to some underrated games and a new feeling for classics like puzzle bobble!
I hope this group order will go on, so everyone can do it easily :)

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
That's pretty awesome looking, the video should be interesting.

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Here's the video!
Featuring Mokum, Zellez and me :)

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Looks like spinner lost that race pretty hard

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I played Puzzled with spinner on last week and it's nice too.
A "simil-Tetris" with a spinner sounds strange but this one plays better than with a joystick, you can move the bricks really fast and when the game gets faster, it helps.
Once again, the spinner is really sensible, but once you get used to it, it plays great.
I confirm my "**" score, but the 'down' button is not so necessary, the game is fast enough from second/third stage.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
ok, so 2 steering wheels... what's the biggy? ;)

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
ok, so 2 steering wheels... what's the biggy? ;)
I think this will be the first Thrash Rally twin (with wheels) ever.
An historical moment or just craziness? :D
I just hope it works, because i didn't test the left wheel yet...

DeusVult

Another Striker
great video, i like thrash rally a lot, looks great to play it with a steering wheel

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
awesome Loris, I missed this thread when you originally posted, them cabs are cute ;)

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
This is very cool! Wow! Nightmare Tony would be proud!

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The first test for the Thrash Rally twin was failed... a problem with the left steering wheel... on next days we will work on it :scratch:

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
It's probably not much. Don't forget to make videos

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Still working on the steering wheel problem, on next days we will try to repair it.
Meanwhile... here's a pic of the "100% homemade" adapter to play with spinner or steering wheel.
It's not nice, but it works perfectly! :glee:
2h55vki.jpg

Really nice job man, it's good to see you getting some good use out of those videopoker machines. Can't wait to see the new twin cab update. Keep up the good work.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
This is all kinds of AWESOME. I'm looking forward to making a similar setup for myself sometime in the future. I see that NeoTurfMasta had a group-buy on some PCBs for this back in 2013. Did that ever go through?

And am I correct in thinking that this origiannly was the work of NightmareTony? - the same guy that used to work at SNK in San Jose back in the day?

Flippin' awesome!

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This is all kinds of AWESOME. I'm looking forward to making a similar setup for myself sometime in the future. I see that NeoTurfMasta had a group-buy on some PCBs for this back in 2013. Did that ever go through?
Thanks! :)
I don't think he made the PCB order.

Another really small update, i've bought today a second copy of Riding Hero, so now i have two games to test on link ;)
2yyny8m.jpg