The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I just beat this game a couple days ago. I have to agree with the too many rupees as well. I think I finished with around 6000 on my first play through and that's after having bought all the items...

I did feel like the game was a bit too easy even though I did get stumped on a couple of the puzzles to the point where I left the dungeon. I would end up coming back later after realizing how dumb I was. The combat was a bit too easy though I think I died a total of 3 times, 2 of which were entirely preventable but I was just playing sloppy.

That being said it's the first Zelda game I've enjoyed in a long time even if I felt the story was entirely predictable (what Zelda game isn't). I'm uncertain if I'll play through Hero mode or not, but it was a fun time either way!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
A Link to the Past is my favorite of the series and one of my top-five favorite games of all time, A Link Between Worlds would probably be my main reason for getting a 3DS, but unfortunately as amazing as I'm sure it is, I just can't justify buying it for just one or two games, the rest really don't interest me. It looks sick though.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf will own you forever if you're not careful. I could make a case for buying a 3DS just for that game alone.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Primarily shmups like Salamander, Parodius and DoDonPachi, RPGs in the light of Final Fantasy VI and Dragon Quest III, also titles like Bonk, Neutopia, King of Fighters, Street Fighter II; Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug, Mortal Kombat, all that fun stuff haha. I'd like to steer clear from the 3DS VC games as most of those I own and don't really have a need to spend the money to download it just to have a portable version, primarily the portable classics I'd like is a Turbo Express with some HuCards and I'll be happy.

Hmm the only thing I can suggest is when dragon warrior vii comes out on 3DS this year as well as fire emblem. Action wise resident evil mercenaries and this game are best. Oh and read about zero escape: virtue's last reward. Best story on the 3DS (and vita)

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
A Link to the Past is my favorite of the series and one of my top-five favorite games of all time, A Link Between Worlds would probably be my main reason for getting a 3DS, but unfortunately as amazing as I'm sure it is, I just can't justify buying it for just one or two games, the rest really don't interest me. It looks sick though.

This is kind of how I feel, but if the general idea is that this is one of the best 2-D Zelda's since LTTP (which is my fave as well, with LA after that), I feeling pretty compelled to pick up a 2DS right now. Is the 2DS also backwards compatible with DS games?

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Yup 2DS is fully backwards compatible with DS. I highly recommend that if you care about having a quality experience you own a DS Lite or DSi in addition tho... As the stretching/scaling of the 3DS/2DS/XL is weak (unclean/lacking common x-y integer) at best.

I roll with a 2DS and honestly I feel its the best of the family. Its more comfortable in my hands then the 3DS/XL, the trigger placement is perfect for my grip range. It also feels much more solid without the hinges. I dropped it on the sidewalk from standing height rushing to catch the T one day resulting in only a minor scuff (I shutter to think what would have happened to a XL) in the plastic body. The only negative about the console I feel is the mono speaker, which can be avoided by using headphones. The lack of 3D isn't a concern in the slightest... You'll find most people play with it off anyway if you ask around.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I'd be totally fine with a 2DS. I can't leave 3D on for more than 10-15 minutes without it bugging my eyes. It's a fun gimmick, but more or less I just switch it on when I get a new game to see what they did with it, then switch it off never to use it again. Mario Kart looks awesome in 3D, but I've found I move the 3DS around as I play more than I ever imagined. I'm not sure if it's just me, but my eyes have to keep trying to "find" the image if I'm reclining and playing. It seems to only work well if I'm sitting at a chair at my desk, but even then, it's not comfy on my eyes for long. It's a cool gimmick, no doubt, and eventually I can see this technology being perfected with some amazing results in the future, but in a game like Link Between Worlds, you have zero use for it, and the 3DS as a whole works better in 2D mode.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I'd be totally fine with a 2DS. I can't leave 3D on for more than 10-15 minutes without it bugging my eyes. It's a fun gimmick, but more or less I just switch it on when I get a new game to see what they did with it, then switch it off never to use it again. Mario Kart looks awesome in 3D, but I've found I move the 3DS around as I play more than I ever imagined. I'm not sure if it's just me, but my eyes have to keep trying to "find" the image if I'm reclining and playing. It seems to only work well if I'm sitting at a chair at my desk, but even then, it's not comfy on my eyes for long. It's a cool gimmick, no doubt, and eventually I can see this technology being perfected with some amazing results in the future, but in a game like Link Between Worlds, you have zero use for it, and the 3DS as a whole works better in 2D mode.

I'm off and on with it. Games like the Resident Evil games on the 3DS, I find the 3D really gives the game a lot of depth, and other games like the recent 3D re-release of Streets of Rage, the 3D was a big help in judging depth of where I was vs my enemies. I've never been better at dodging my foes with that! And in the case of Link Between Worlds, I's really kinda take it or leave it. Some areas, like Rosso's mine look great with the extra depth, and I found using the 3D actually really helpful in the case of the baseball minigame to earn that damn heartpeice. Other areas, eh. Take it or leave it. Then there's other games, like New Super Mario Bros 2, where I actually think the 3D worsens the look of the game, smudging the hell outta the background art. Either way, I'm happy to have the option!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
i actually really enjoyed the 3D effect in the Tower of Hera when Link hit the buttons down with the hammer and was launched up.

Also I found that MGS3 and Super Mario 3D Land make some great use of the 3D giving it much more depth than I initially thought was there.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Just a reminder for anyone playing Four Swords and doesn't like the fugly video scaling, you can force the game to play in native DS resolution by holding Select + Start when starting the game. Probably best done on a 3DS XL, otherwise you'd end up with tiny postage stamp sized screens.