Dark Souls 2 Thread

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Don't download the DLC, simple as that.

Well im just hoping there are some level caps. If the DLC weapons are over powered, and people invade with them, it will be pretty annoying.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
People invading at low levels with maxed out gear is already a problem.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Reviews are starting to appear

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772025

tumblr_mo9a5xARB51rnnop6o5_500.gif

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
People invading at low levels with maxed out gear is already a problem.

Yeah, you are right on that front. Thinking about it further, this isn't really going to affect the way i play the game, so i don't need to care as much.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'm ashamed to say that I sank 100 + hours into Dark Souls and gave up on the final boss as it needed too much grinding. Now I kind of want to go back and finish it but it's not exactly the type of game that favours picking up again after a long absense. Then there's the extra DLC which I'd like to check out without having to play it again from scratch.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I'm ashamed to say that I sank 100 + hours into Dark Souls and gave up on the final boss as it needed too much grinding. Now I kind of want to go back and finish it but it's not exactly the type of game that favours picking up again after a long absense. Then there's the extra DLC which I'd like to check out without having to play it again from scratch.

I wouldn't say the last boss needs grinding. You can either have iron flesh to help, or learn how to parry and repose very well. If worse comes to worse, you can summon someone else to help you

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'm not too proud to admit the last boss and the 4 kings still freak me the fuck out even after all these years.

Normally, I'd just pussy out and use combustion on his back while he was busy with Solaire. The saddest method I ever used was hiding behind a rock and wear him down with Wrath of God while wearing firstborn ring.

Wasn't until recently I was actually comfortable enough to risk getting one shotted and learn to parry. The key is blocking the first hit and parrying the second, more easily predictable hit. Just use something nice and stabby like a rapier/spear or maybe something that does fire damage and wouldn't be too much trouble.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You can defeat Gwynn without parrying but it's a pain, especially on higher NG+ levels. His AI is dumb and you can get place one of the rocks on the floor in between him and you so you can heal.

I beat Gwynn like 3 times before I bothered to learn how to parry. Partly it was because I used Greatshields that I never bothered too. The Greatshield of Artorias is beastly.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

New Trailer.

Honestly the weakest of the ones they've released, but the armor that knight has when he fights the dragon looks badass.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Oh what the fuck....no more wanderer class?

Even though it means very little in the long run, I always started out as one.
It's a uniquely 'japanese' job class in a lot of action/role playing games.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

nah, you don't need to grind at all or even parry/reposte

You just have to learn his pattern, put on some good armor, use the grass crest shield, and not mess up. Took me probably 50 tries to learn when to attack, when to roll, when to block, but I kicked his ass once I got it down.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You should learn to parry at least the humanoid monsters, it's fun. Block or dodge the rest.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
You should learn to parry at least the humanoid monsters, it's fun. Block or dodge the rest.

I've never really found a need to parry at all in either demon's souls or dark souls. Proper spacing is way more effective and reliable. Sure it's fun to parry but the extra damage alone is just not worth the added risk. I think to make it more *fun*, they should grant extra souls on kills where you go that extra mile to skillfully parry and riposte.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Don't get me wrong, I beat Dark Souls without parrying several times. Once you get the timing down its way fun. A backstabbing is easier to pull off in DaS of course...and way less risk for a nice reward.

Plus...great shields. I love them.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
A good shield and the lightning spear was just cruise control for cool in DS.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I am literally counting the fucking days to this

just 120 hours to go... be strong...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Wow, I can't believe this will be out in less than a week. And me with no time to play it on launch.

I can't wait to read all of your thoughts, character builds, strategies and general opinions on how it all turned out.

Both the Demon's Souls and Dark Souls threads have been some of my consistently favorite reads here. I could read Spoon and 'duf posts about these games all day.

cannonball

15 Year Member
PC version available on April 25th...not sure I can wait that long haha. I may PS3 it after all.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yes, I also can't believe the game is almost here. I've been busy the past month and just moved. Don't even have my triple or lol360 set up yet.

I did take 17th and 18th off work so I've got a nice 4 day weekend that I intend to spend on this game. I unfortunately probably won't be playing this on release. I think I'll be online with this on next Thursday. Be a rough 2 days.

I'm definitely leaning towards a STR/FTH build.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Fashion Souls!

Just like before the release of Dark Souls, I've been fucking around with Demons Souls and making builds/characters I would never normally play as....like females and black guys (not trying to be a smartass, but I usually build the same euro ninja white guy every time).

My female str build turned out to be pretty awesome with Miraldas set, meat cleaver, cursed sword spell, and spiked shield.

Also, my black guy/BBS build looks pretty fucking cool with fluted helmet, mirdan mail, mirdan gauntlets, fluted leggings, Blueblood sword, and dark silver shield.

Seriously, put all this shit on and see how fucking awesome it looks.

Also, that Dark Souls Endurance build I mentioned on page 2 turned out to be pretty fucking awesome as well. Once you get his stamina to 60 you become a tiny god in the Dark Souls universe....

My dex builds used to be so very fucked for the expansion bosses but now I swear to god I was actually chasing Artorias around and smacking the shit out of him. Every boss dies on the first try and the rest of the game now presents little to no danger (with the exception of magic).

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All my Dark Souls characters are female :emb:

My first Dark Souls 2 Character will be a female paladin named Nadia.

I'm such a queer.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Wha....

Heh...yeah that's a little queer but I'm not judging...

You know how you run as a female and return to a neutral stance...and THEN they do that stupid thing where they turn their knees in every fucking time? that shit drives me nuts. If they do this in DS2, then you'll know they lied when they said they rebuilt the game engine from the ground up.

cannonball

15 Year Member
I tried making female characters in both DS and DS, but they always looked so damn ugly that I deleted them.

You know how you run as a female and return to a neutral stance...and THEN they do that stupid thing where they turn their knees in every fucking time? that shit drives me nuts. If they do this in DS2, then you'll know they lied when they said they rebuilt the game engine from the ground up.

Clever girl.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It's not possible to get a pretty girl, at least in Dark Souls. All mine look pretty homely. Fitting I suppose if you're going to wield a sword.

I had a girl in Demon Souls but it's been too long since I played that.