Dark Souls 2 Thread

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
The spells just become available from an existing vendor in NG++?l.

Yup. Wrath of the Gods, at least. Some spells are still only accessible from covenants like Sunlight Spear, but getting them is much more manageable than 500 PvP matches.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Blacksmith Ornifex.

You rescure her in shaded woods (Scorpioness stage) and she reappears at the bottom of brightstone cove (in the room full of peculiar dolls like the one priscilla had).

She is turned to stone?

Bah, I need to get back to this game.

Seems like this game there is a lot of hidden things that would be nigh impossible to know about.

Yup. Wrath of the Gods, at least. Some spells are still only accessible from covenants like Sunlight Spear, but getting them is much more manageable than 500 PvP matches.

I haven't even found the Sunbro covenant yet. I want that Sunlight Spear though.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Longish stream of consious thoughts:

I have been playing DS2 just after finishing DS1 for the first time ~ 3 weeks ago (I beat DS1, then started DS2 the next night?).

I have the strategy guide, but have not been using it much (I had hoped it would be more of an art book than it is at ~500 pages, but it is at least comprehensive if I do need to check something).

I enjoyed DS1 enough that had DS2 not come out I would have probably been tempted to keep playing NG+, MAYBE (or maybe I would have become frustrated and just threw in the towel, who knows?).

DS2 has a different vibe in many aspects but I am still digging it. Things like vendors having a limited amount of titanite have made me more stingy with weapon upgrades than I might have.

I am now ~ level 75ish and have found a whopping single chest with a complete armor suit that I can remember: the knight suit that I assume everybody finds.

I have spent ~ half an hour each night picking off people as they enter the rat crypts the last few nights. Always good fun for a bit, though not exactly a fair fight as even if I pooch it I can usually just run away, heal up, and pick off the hapless person who I sucked into my world as they get overrun with rats.

Is it better or worse than DS1? I can't say yet. I actually like how I feel a bit of a sting after every death until I get to 75% of my health. After that, who cares right? Most of the game I am at that level, so I actually look at that as my default, and a human effigy as more of a juice up if I need it.

Unlike DS1 where I was legitimately stuck on a number of occasions with no clear path forward, in DS2 I have always had multiple paths open.

The triple sentinel boss and poison snake queen have me down right now... off in another direction where I found some ugly ass minotaur guys who can get 98% of my health off in one hit. Life's a bitch :)

I have played too much DS in the last few months, assuming I am on track to beat DS2 in the next month I will be done for a while.

I have not played any game as much as DS1 EVER though. I used to think Mass Effect or something with a 30 hour playtime was excessive given I have ~ 1-2 hours free per day. DS1 clocked in at 80 hours(?) and I would have happily kept playing. So I guess its some good.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Well, many of the gripes I had have been fixed with patch 1.03...bosses nerfed, some spells not as OP, summoned AI NPCs are actually worth a fuck, start menu doesn't lag so much anymore....so now I'd say I'm fine with the game. From a gameplay perspective.

Is there anything in DS2 that is as fucked up as the Gaping Dragon? Arguably one boss is....but nothing is as epic as the Kalameet fight, nor is there anything oddly enchanting like halfbreed Priscilla, or as cool as the Black Knight armor set. No NPCs as likeable as Solaire, or Shiva with his cool-as-shit invisible ninja bodyguard. The music in DS2 can't even touch the soundtrack quality of DS1 as well.

The pace of the game is way better than DS1 though....you never really have to stop to farm anything....like humanity, or titanite, or souls; you just play through the game and you advance. And despite what I said in an earlier post, soul vessels are a great addition.
In each playthrough there are enough (soul vessels) to save you from a dead end build and in the process you're saved many, MANY hours of pointless character building.

I also tried power stancing dual +10 lightning avelyns with lightning bolts and it is fucking awesome.

So I think my FINAL final score to this game would be like an 8.7 or something.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
Well, many of the gripes I had have been fixed with patch 1.03...bosses nerfed, some spells not as OP, summoned AI NPCs are actually worth a fuck, start menu doesn't lag so much anymore....so now I'd say I'm fine with the game. From a gameplay perspective.

Is there anything in DS2 that is as fucked up as the Gaping Dragon? Arguably one boss is....but nothing is as epic as the Kalameet fight, nor is there anything oddly enchanting like halfbreed Priscilla, or as cool as the Black Knight armor set. No NPCs as likeable as Solaire, or Shiva with his cool-as-shit invisible ninja bodyguard. The music in DS2 can't even touch the soundtrack quality of DS1 as well.

The pace of the game is way better than DS1 though....you never really have to stop to farm anything....like humanity, or titanite, or souls; you just play through the game and you advance. And despite what I said in an earlier post, soul vessels are a great addition.
In each playthrough there are enough (soul vessels) to save you from a dead end build and in the process you're saved many, MANY hours of pointless character building.

I also tried power stancing dual +10 lightning avelyns with lightning bolts and it is fucking awesome.

So I think my FINAL final score to this game would be like an 8.7 or something.

Cool; I just beat the "scorpion queen" boss last night and started exploring another two areas.

I was assuming I was almost done the game given I had all the boxes filled up in the fast travel screen. I was thinking there might be more pages, looks like I was right :)

I have not summoned any NPC help yet, I have not needed it (edit: actually, I would have used some for my as yet unbeaten triple guardian boss in the bastille, but I did not see any summon signs on my attempts so far... ).

I have also encountered two bugs. My rat covenent level appears to be zero, after giving an unknown (10+) amount of rat tails to the king?

I also encountered a glitch where all the enemies in an area appeared there, but were glitched in that they did not move and could not be hit. I may have been able to run through the entire level like that, but where's the fun in that so I rebooted :)

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I also encountered a glitch where all the enemies in an area appeared there, but were glitched in that they did not move and could not be hit. I may have been able to run through the entire level like that, but where's the fun in that so I rebooted :)

A true Dark Souls player right here.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Anyone know if the Demon's Souls servers are still online/active? I'm pretty sure they are region locked depending on which version of the game you have (US, EU, Asian). I'm planning to start playing again tonight (Asian version), but if there is absolutely no online presence I'm just gonna grab Dark Souls II or Titanfall.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
A true Dark Souls player right here.

I actually found out this was not a glitch but a second massive "rat covenant" area where you can apparently lure in players and (try to) kill them at your convenience.

The first one like this seems a bit unfair (I am no PVP master and found the odds stacked in my favor). This larger one seems even more unfair.

It will be fun to give it a whirl and see who come out swinging at me.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
The first one like this seems a bit unfair (I am no PVP master and found the odds stacked in my favor). This larger one seems even more unfair.

It doesn't really matter since the other player has nothing to lose. When fighting against rat covies, you get summoned into their world. If you die, you go right back to your world in the same state it was before.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
It doesn't really matter since the other player has nothing to lose. When fighting against rat covies, you get summoned into their world. If you die, you go right back to your world in the same state it was before.

True; the one time this happened to me I did not know what was going on, lost the fight in the world I was summoned to, then got dropped back into a group of rats I had been fighting where I promptly died as I was not expecting to be back in the middle of a mob when I "respawned" :oh_no:

Tonight I beat the triple sentry boss, got called out for healing mid-fight in PVP (Poor tasty, Y or N?), and spent a shameful amount of time farming souls near the second bonfire in the iron keep (only ~ 20 minutes, but being able to get ~ 4500 souls in less than a minute without taking damage was too crazy for me to pass up).

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
So...blump...

No plans for DLC they said lmao....and here they are coming out with a DLC TRILOGY starting in July.

I think I'll just watch the playthroughs on youtube this time around.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
So does this game suck then, or what?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Watching that trailer did nothing for me at all.

My fire for this franchise is completely dead. Dark Souls II killed it.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Awesome! Just about to beat DS2 on ng+....Maybe I'll go back and beat DS1 w/ the DLC that I never played until this comes out. Dumb that when DS1 is now free on XBLA there's no discount on the DLC. But whatever, I'll probably drop more than what I originally payed for the first game, since it's awesome and worth way more than the $10 I got it for on sale. If Demons Souls (which I've never played) ends up being playable on on PS4, that's an instant sale for me at this point.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
So does this game suck then, or what?

As of patch 1.03 its a pretty decent game to play....but the original build was a fucking pile of shit that killed you with unavoidable hits over and over again, while taking forever to reload the level you just got killed on.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'll take that as a yes.

Well, maybe I need to quantify my statement, since you seem to be responding to my comments.

I hate the changes they made to the game system in DS II. They were unnecessary changes that did nothing for me. They only made the game more annoying and frustrating for me.

Other people may dig the changes, but I think they're shite.

And the flies upon it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well, maybe I need to quantify my statement, since you seem to be responding to my comments.

I hate the changes they made to the game system in DS II. They were unnecessary changes that did nothing for me. They only made the game more annoying and frustrating for me.

Other people may dig the changes, but I think they're shite.

And the flies upon it.

Have you seen the footage of Froms next game? Looks Soulsish but gothic and with guns.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I also need to get back into this game. Im on the giant spider boss right now. Gonna be hard to pull me away from Mario Kart 8 and USFIV though

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I hear Dark Souls 1 > 2, true?

DS1: Better music, better level design, better cast, cooler equipment/items

DS2: Better lighting effects, brilliant stage design in a few areas, more flexible/customizable gameplay.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yo.

Where do I go after beat Executioners Chariot? Forest and Heide's Tower of Flame bosses are all dead and I can't progress in the bastille due to locked gates and shit...

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I been playing DS2 lately but i don't know when i'll get to the dlc.Probably not until i'm close to the end of the game,then i will check it out.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Yo.

Where do I go after beat Executioners Chariot? Forest and Heide's Tower of Flame bosses are all dead and I can't progress in the bastille due to locked gates and shit...
That boss is in the undead purgatory.Go to the room,where you start at hedie's tower and you pay the green clad pilgrim to open the way.

Last edited: