[WIIU] [3DS] Super Smash Bros.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
just got home from playing both!!! Great fun, pity they pushed back the 3ds release.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
On second thought I might end up going out to Nintendo World in NYC. I saw a photo Nintendo put on their site of a Best Buy in California. Only one kiosk was set up with the game with a giant line that snaked through all the isles. Locally I heard some people waited upwards of SIX HOURS to play one three minute round on the Wii-U version, then if you're lucky you can play the 3DS version single player mode. I then heard they where turning people away and telling them to come back on Saturday. Did they really plan this all out after the last Best Buy event?

At Nintendo World they've got it set up the same, but with multiple 3DS units and three demo kiosks. Sadly it's the same rules. You get to play the Wii-U for a round, then you can try the 3DS and you can't play it again for the rest of the day. Guaranteed people are coming in the morning and trying to come back at night, I doubt the people on staff will recognize people after two hours have passed. At least I'll be in Nintendo World and they should let you shop and I'm in New York City so there's a ton of other shit to do so I might just make a city trip on Saturday and let the riff raff wait on line for 6 hours at the shitty mall Best Buy.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The only Smash game without a ton of clone characters was 64. Melee and Brawl both had issues with excess clones. I don't think separating out Pokemon sans trainers and Samus's suits is a step forward in reducing clones.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Necro-Bump from the grave. On the 19th a leak came from somebody inside the ESRB that had a review video of the game that they get submissions from all the different game makers. Naturally everybody thought it was fake but now video has surfaced. Watch the videos now before Nintendo pulls it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKwxhG3ioc6FDKupmlVHZQ

Newcomers

Bowser Jr. in the Koopa Clown Car
Shulk from Xenoblade
The dog and ducks from Duck Hunt. (People think this maybe a clone of Captain Olimar from Pikmin. In some Project M games there is a swap)
Dark Pit

Returning characters that haven't been announced officially yet.

Dr. Mario
Falco
Wario
R.O.B
Mr. Game and Watch (He was in the Pac-Man video)
Diddy Kong
Ness
Jigglypuff
Gannondorf (Still a slower Captain Falcon)

Now more rumors. Folks are saying there's going to be DLC for the game so some of the characters that where in Brawl and Melee that aren't listed might be added in later, so characters like Lucas, Ice Climbers and Snake could be added in. Looks like we'll have to wait and see. Sucks the Climbers got the axe, but hopefully they can come back in DLC. Also, since their saying DLC I also hope they can do patches and updates like Street Fighter so we don't have to deal with characters like Snake and Metaknight that almost broke Brawl.

Edited, forgot about Dark Pit as a new character.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Mr. Game & Watch and Captain Falcon are the only characters on that list I actually give a shit about.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Not surprised by most of that returning list, tho part of me was holding out hope for Snake to come back again. Least there appears to be no Star Wolf.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I really hope they announce the Ice Climbers as regular roster members and not accessible only via DLC. :annoyed:

I know DLC is inevitable but I'd prefer it if they would use it for characters I have a mild to no interest in such as the clone characters, all of those damn Pokemon (Pikachu being the exception), and any of those Bowser kid characters they decide to add. :thevt:

Good to see characters like Wario, Ness, and R.O.B. on that included but not announced list. I don't know if they made any kind of special announcement for him but Diddy Kong is listed on the official site.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Most people on GAF seem to think the DLC rumor is completely false.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
DLC is fine with me and for a game I enjoy as much as the Smash series I'd buy it all. Really looking forward to checking out the Dog and Ducks, just seems like it could be one of those fun silly characters.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Cosmetic DLC is one thing, but I don't like the idea of paid DLC characters in a fighting game. The characters ARE the game, and it sucks that not everyone who buys the game will have the same roster available.

Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken; also working on Smash 4)and Yosuke Hayashi (Team Ninja) have both spoken out against paid DLC characters in fighting games. And thus far SEGA hasn't done it with VF.

Free DLC is obviously a good thing though, ala Mario Kart 8.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
DLC completely crippling a fighting game is why I will not buy anything from Capcom now. After the debacle/rape/joke that was Street Fighter x Tekken I just can't do it. I'm really happy with what is happening in Mario Kart 8, it's free and includes some tweaks that I am sure most other companies would want to charge for.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Well Nintendo threw the hammer down and the videos are now gone off of YouTube. I was also reading that it was a now former NOA employee who leaked everything...and they found out who his was, fired him and are now suing him. If that's true why the hell would you risk your job if the Japanese version's just coming out in a few weeks anyway?

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
DLC completely crippling a fighting game is why I will not buy anything from Capcom now. After the debacle/rape/joke that was Street Fighter x Tekken I just can't do it. I'm really happy with what is happening in Mario Kart 8, it's free and includes some tweaks that I am sure most other companies would want to charge for.
The DLC is a big turn off for me as well, but I stopped buying Capcom fighting games mostly because I don't like them. I'm not a fan of Street Fighter IV, MVC3, SSF2HDR, or SFxT at all.

I liked Tatsunoko vs Capcom okay, but that's about it for Capcom fighters last generation.

DC-PS2 era Capcom fighters are where it's at. I loves me some CvS, Third Strike, MVC2 (even though it's an unbalanced mess), Alpha 3, Vampire Chronicle, etc.

The DLC hurts more when it's in games I like, such as KOF XIII or BlazBlue. In that case I buy the game used.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
The only Smash game without a ton of clone characters was 64. Melee and Brawl both had issues with excess clones. I don't think separating out Pokemon sans trainers and Samus's suits is a step forward in reducing clones.

The same could be said for SF, MK, KoF, et al.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So this is, as far as we know, the final roster

Newcomers:
Pac-Man
Mega Man
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Dark Pit (Kid Icarus)
Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Rosalina and Luma (Mario Galaxy)
Little Mac (Punch Out!!)
Duck Hunt Dog (Duck Hunt)
Greninja (Pokemon)
Robin (Fire Emblem Awakening player character)
Lucina (Fire Emblem)
Bowser Jr (Mario) rumored to allow all the Koopalings as alternate costumes
Wii Fit Trainer (male or female, selectable as alternate costumes)
Mii Fighters (three types)
Villager (Animal Crossing)

Returning after not being in Brawl:
Dr Mario

Returning from Brawl:
Bowser (Mario)
Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
Charizard (Pokemon)
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong (DK)
Falco Lombardi (Star Fox)
Fox McCloud (Star Fox)
Ganondorf (Zelda)
Ike (Fire Emblem)
Jigglypuff (Pokemon)
King Dedede (Kirby)
Kirby
Link (Zelda) allows Dark Link as a selectable costume
Lucario (Pokemon)
Luigi (Mario)
Mario
Marth (Fire Emblem)
Meta Knight (Kirby)
Mr Game and Watch
Ness (Earthbound)
Princess Peach (Mario)
Princess Zelda (Zelda) (allows Dark Zelda as selectable costume)
Pikachu
Pikmin & Captain Olimar (Pikmin) (rumored to have Aph as an alternate costume)
Pit (Kid Icarus)
ROB (Gyromite)
Samus Aran (Metroid)
Sheik (Zelda)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Toon Link (Zelda)
Wario (Mario)
Yoshi (Mario)
Zero Suit Samus (Metroid)

Not yet confirmed and possibly cut:
Ice Climbers
Ivysaur (Pokemon)
Lucas (Earthbound)
Mewtwo (Pokemon) wasn't in Brawl
Pichu (Pokemon) wasn't in Brawl
Roy (Fire Emblem) wasn't in Brawl
Snake (Metal Gear)
Squirtle (Pokemon)
Wolf O'Donnell (Star Fox)
Young Link (Zelda) replaced by Toon Link

I think that's a pretty solid roster, even if it is sad to see Snake, Ice Climbers, and Lucas get cut. It'd be cool if they were patched in after launch for free.

Or the leaks have been incomplete and there are more to be revealed. That'd be even better.

There's really not too many clones, in my opinion. Masahiro Sakurai once said that he almost put King Dedede in Melee, but instead used the time to create the game's six (not counting Luigi) clone characters. He said it was about the same amount of work.

So in all likelihood, the clones getting in doesn't mean a unique character was cut. It's a shit ton less work to have clones and they do add something to the game.

Imagine Melee. Would it have been better if Roy, Dr Mario, Falco, Pichu, Ganondorf, and Young Link were cut in favor of Dedede? I would argue that the former six characters add more to the game than the latter one, even if the former are clones.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
From the demo at Nintendo World it seems like the bigger characters got some speed boosts. I hated playing as King Koopa (I still call him that from the Super Show) and Dedede because of how long it took them to wind up while a smaller, quicker character could hurt you super fast. I wanted to see them cover Metaknight in a Smash Brothers direct to see how they changed him. I thought it was bullshit how his normal attack did so much damage compared to a heavier character.

I hope they can find a way to bring the Ice Climbers back. They where the first characters I used when Melee debuted at the NYC Nintendo Cube Club and I won as them. Plus when you see some of the tournament footage with guys like Wobbles that figures out how to do a chain grab it makes me want to learn how to play with them even more. Snake was fun to play as but I agree with a lot of other folks when they say he was WAY overpowered. He did a ton of damage and it was hard to knock him out with his drone.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm just hoping Captain Falcon is better. He has always been my main.

He was one of the best characters in Smash 64 and Melee, but he's terrible in Brawl.

So I decided to try to main another character, and I picked Sonic. Well, Sonic isn't terrible but he doesn't have enough weighty attacks to consistently knock other players out. You can rack up damage with him, his recovery is decent, he's obviously very fast. Just hard to score KOs.

So as long as one or both of those characters gets buffed, I'll be happy.

Also going to have to try Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac, of course.

dr_spizzah21

Rugal's Thug
Gonna really miss Lucas if he's out, but really looking forward to playing as Lucina.

Also they finally added a couple more songs on the website and the tomodachi one is oh so good

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Nintendo just announced on the official Smash Brothers Facebook page that they'll be hosting an EIGHT HOUR long livestream on Twitch on Friday. They'll be showing off the finished 3DS version and other 3DS and Wii-U games. I hope that doesn't mean they won't be making anymore of the cool character reveal trailers. I really hope the other characters that weren't announced get one. The Duck Hunt Dog's going to be hilarious.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Funny how I really haven't been all that all excited about this game (outside of Megaman and Little Mac) but now the closer we get to release my hype is rising.

I don't have a Wii U but i'm definitely getting the 3DS version at release.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The Japanese demo has been released and people who have Japanese 3DS's have been streaming it. The guy who won the smash 4 tourney at E3 was streaming last night (I think his name is fox) Hes answering lots of questions which is pretty awesome.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
(On my phone so this is a short post) The leak was true. All of the characters are there. The Duck Hunt Dog is an original character not a clone.

"It IS Wild Gunman!"

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm really bummed about Ice Climbers being cut. That one hurts the most.

Snake, Lucas, Ivysaur, Wolf, and Squirtle not making the cut is also harsh, but not as bad as a Melee veteran being cut.

Dr Mario gets to return after not being in Brawl, but no Mewtwo. I don't think anyone ever liked Pichu, so no loss there, and Roy and Young Link have been essentially replaced by Ike and Toon Link.

But still, this has got to be the best roster ever.

Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man in a game together with all of Nintendo's mascots? Yes please.

Duck Hunt Dog, Little Mac, Shulk, and the Villager are all really good first party additions.

I love the alternate costumes, too.

All seven Koopalings are in the game as alts for Bowser Jr, and Alph is in as an alt for Olimar. And though not officially labeled as such, Peach is an alt for Daisy and both Links have some recognizable costumes (adult Link has Fierce Deity and Dark Link, Toon Link has the costumes from LOZ NES and LTTP).

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Looks like the demo will be out on the 19th for 3DS.

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
I guess the 3DS demo is available today for platinum members. you get 4 DL codes...presumably 1 for you and 3 for your buds. If anyone has an extra....CAN I HAVE IT PLZZZ