[WIIU] [3DS] Super Smash Bros.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
ProJarred on YouTube uploaded some direct feed footage from a press only Nintendo event. When he was talking about the Event Mode he said he Nintendo told him he wasn't allowed to take footage of certain events because they take place on locked stages. He said one of them was an N64 stage. Since he didn't say I can guess it wasn't one that's already been shown off yet. I just hope one of the Pokemon Stadium stages come back. It was odd not seeing one in the 3DS version since it's been in both Melee and Brawl.

Sucks they still have it set that you need to unlock fighters but it is nice that there's a bit more that you don't have to unlock like Bowser Jr., Ness, Jiggs and Captain Falcon. Just wonder what the future DLC has in store since their adding in more modes, stages and Mewtwo. I'd love to see the Ice Climbers make a comeback but I don't know if they'd do console exclusive characters because they want both versions to share the same fighters.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
When it comes to Mewtwo it gives me hope that we will see some more characters unknown at this time come about. Bayonetta could be an amazing addition to the cast as would Wonder-Red and show off some Platinum love in Smash.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I play this very casually. I like to get a round in here and there. So far I like Pac Man and Meta Knight the best. Duck Hunt sucks.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Duck Hunt sucks.

Then you aren't using him right! I'm only getting passably good with him now, I was godawful with him when I first picked him up. I fins the biggest key to using him, is using the can effectively.

Seeing Mewtwo again fills me with so much indifference, never cared for/about him. But knowing that he means more fighters vial Dlc, that's got me excited. Bayonetta, or any platinum characters would be awesome, so long as we get NO more Fire Emblem folk. Too many of them in there as it is. I'd love to see Simon Belmont show up in there, too. Kinda doubtful on that one, though. If they wanted to put more 1st party gag characters, I'd actually get a huge kick out of Captain N, or Urban Champion.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I played the hell out of the N64 one and never really bothered with any of the newer ones, so a couple questions:

1. Has the game changed much? I liked it as a fun, goofy party game with simple, easy-to-play controls without having to memorize a bunch of button combos. If it's turned into some super-srs tournament fighting game with memorizing combos, obsessing over power tiers and balance shit I'm not sure I want to play it.

2. Are all the characters from the previous games in this one (or scheduled to come out as DLC in the future)?

3. Is there any reason to get the 3DS version and the Wii U one? Are they actually different games, or is the 3DS one just a chopped down handheld port of the Wii U one (Vita style)?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
1. Don't pay attention to those "fox only, final destination, no item" faggots. Smash Bros. is not a serious fighting game. Play it how it's supposed to be, with items and everything.
Melee is still the fastest Smash and has the best stages IMO, Brawl is quite a bit slower and more floaty. 4 feels faster and less floaty than Brawl.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros.#Playable_characters

3. The 3DS version has the same characters but different stages and less overall content and options (see that video linked above)

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member

I was already planning on purchasing Super Smash Bros. Wii U just on gp (general principle). I didn't need this awesome, feature packed video to sell me on the game. However, the video is crazy. Sakurai-san is due for a much deserved vacation after a development effort like this.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I'm really enjoying smash 3ds so far (taking a break from it to play bayonetta 2) I enjoy playing for glory, so to each their own i guess. So far my main(s) are Little Mac, feels so good landing that KO punch, captain falcon, he reminds me of little Mac, just with better recovery, and Bowser Jr. is quickly becoming my favorite character to play. He just has so many tools

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Alright Mouseketeers, who (in the US) is going to be on tonight? I've had the adapter and controller bundle on pre-order since August when Amazon started and it should be here by the end of the day. I hope to unlock the other characters won't be much of a pain in the ass. I really hope I can get into the game more, now that I have a proper controller to play it on. With all these people bitching about controllers I just have to say the GCN was one of their best made controllers. Sure it was total garbage for fighters, but for any 3D and action game the thing was damn near perfect so I can't wait to have it back in my hands for another go-round with smash.

Hit me up on the Wii-U if you haven't added me. I think some folks like Shroom didn't go through on my last batch of invites. You can find me with the same username I have here, MoonJump (No spaces, big M and J)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Smash Bros WiiU arrived today. I was hoping to get some work done at home, but I completely forgot about this!

I haven't touched the 3DS version. Got a handleful to Amiibos to tinker with as well. I'm really impressed with the quality of these things. I dont buy much plastic crap, but these are much better than the toys I had as a kid.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Hit me up on the Wii-U if you haven't added me. I think some folks like Shroom didn't go through on my last batch of invites. You can find me with the same username I have here, MoonJump (No spaces, big M and J)

You are on my list already. Gonna take another week for the game to arrive here anyway.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
get your Amiibo's to level 50 in 1 hr. Just have them fight each other in one long brawl.
I watched it in the background as I finished up some work. They went from bumbling idiots, to serious contenders in an hour. Lvl 50 fox against all these projectiles is nutz.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
This one seems pretty underwhelming compared to Brawl on the Wii. The characters are much more balanced and varied, but I can't find the damn minigames with these menu's. All of the challenges are 3-4 menu's deep, and not under that obvious button called "Challenges". I have no idea what I'm doing in the minigame where I slide my toon around a board. What's the point of this?

No more story mode? That was one of the best features.

Too many pokemon as playable characters. Just my opinion, but I've never played a pokemon game. slightly bias.

The Amiibo stuff is confusing. I thought I was just dumb, but the reviews are mirroring my findings as well. I've already corrupted the amiibo's a few times. And I still haven't figured out what I'm supposed to do with them in this game. I think they are allies because I haven't been able to play as them. There's probably another buried option that would allow me to play as the custom Amiibo character. who knows....

Can't set movement controls to the Dpad. Damn near impossible to grab an item with the analog.

8 player is fun.

I'm hoping this gets better once I figure everything out. I liked collecting 'all the things' in the previous games.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Tried it out at my brothers today. I was also unimpressed.

We tried a few different modes, and the gameplay felt pretty much the same as the other Smash Brothers stuff I played (N64 and some GC), which is fine I guess.

I'm just not seeing a reason to get this one when I have the others.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I am having a lot of fun with it, but it is a bit confusing...there seems to be alot to do in the game, but am having a hard time navigating the menus, granted i've only spent like 10 minutes with it so far.

I am also confused with the amigos...looks like you can't play as them. Only fight against them, use them as allies (I guess??), or watch them duke it out against the CPU or other amigos? Am I missing something here with them. I guess in Mario Kart they grant costumes for your Mii and in Hyrule Warriors you get bonus items...will check that out later. Still, I got a bunch of them, but I don't regret buying them...and will probably buy a bunch more of the next series (Ike, Shulk, Pit, Little Mac, King Dedede, and Meta Knight for sure).

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I am having a lot of fun with it, but it is a bit confusing...there seems to be alot to do in the game, but am having a hard time navigating the menus, granted i've only spent like 10 minutes with it so far.

I am also confused with the amigos...looks like you can't play as them. Only fight against them, use them as allies (I guess??), or watch them duke it out against the CPU or other amigos? Am I missing something here with them. I guess in Mario Kart they grant costumes for your Mii and in Hyrule Warriors you get bonus items...will check that out later. Still, I got a bunch of them, but I don't regret buying them...and will probably buy a bunch more of the next series (Ike, Shulk, Pit, Little Mac, King Dedede, and Meta Knight for sure).

exactly where I'm at on all accounts. If you figure anything out, you let me know. Lol...
I'm just going through some classic shit right now, cuz i dont really get the rest of it.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The one thing I love the most is being able to play the game with a REAL controller again. I could not get used to the controls in the 3DS version to save my life and I wasn't having a lot of fun with it. Just being able to map throw to the X button again makes me happy. I'll agree on the UI. Whoever designed that needs to be fired. It's such a pain in the ass having to go through all the little sub menus just to find stuff like training mode and even trophies. (Sucks Rayman is in the game as a trophy and not a playable character)

The online's MUCH better then Brawl but you'll still run into people with really shitty connections. I was having a great game with three other people in a "For fun" match but after somebody left and a new player took over his connection lagged the hell out of everything. They need to up their game with how the whole online's presented. You can't see the connection of other players and you can't check your stats without going into the menu for it rather then showing up when you fight somebody else.

What I really don't like and I hope they patch it is that you have to go and put your custom control options in every time you start a different mode. I went from doing solo smash to unlock characters then went online to play a friend and forgot you have to select your custom layout because it doesn't remember as you go between modes.

I'm glad that they've been patching the 3DS version and hopefully their listening to the fans so they can make the game better from here.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
(Sucks Rayman is in the game as a trophy and not a playable character).

I thought for sure he was in there when I got the trophy. That does suck. Maybe Nintendo pulled him after the press Ubisoft has been giving the WiiU.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So far I'm enjoying it a lot. I have never really played smash to much but i want to play this one competitively. I have been mainly playing with Little Mac, and Ike. If anyone wants to add me feel free

NNID:Munchi

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I thought for sure he was in there when I got the trophy. That does suck. Maybe Nintendo pulled him after the press Ubisoft has been giving the WiiU.

It's gotta be. It's a new fully rendered character made for the game, it's not one they took from an existing game. Five bucks once they dropped the ball on releasing Origins they took him out. It would have been great to see him in the game with the other 3rd party fighters. He'd really make a good fit into the game with the propeller head and stretchy limbs.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
get your Amiibo's to level 50 in 1 hr. Just have them fight each other in one long brawl.
I watched it in the background as I finished up some work. They went from bumbling idiots, to serious contenders in an hour. Lvl 50 fox against all these projectiles is nutz.

This is a good plan, I like it. Have to admit that I'm with a lot of you on the Amiibos themselves, though- scanned 'em, then looked for them and went, um, where are they? Kind of glad I only bought two, these things don't actually even open up any kind of new gameplay to speak of like Skylanders or Disney Infinity guys.

edit: they're kind of like... Pokémon...?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I think that is part of the problem. With Skylanders and Infinity, you get to do cool things with the character and level them up.
Amiibo's don't have a purpose.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I am interested in seeing what they could do with the Amiibo's. I'd love for them to make a Skylanders/Infinity 3D action game where you can use all of the characters together. If they had the engine that powered 3D World it'd be amazing. Having characters like Ness, Link and Sonic running around in a 3D game with different abilities helping each other would be amazing. If they added in a level creator and editor then they could really put a dent in stuff like Little Big Planet.

Right now it just sounds like their used to unlock little trinkets and extras in current games. It sucks that not all of them are supported. You'd think Pikachu would be one of the racer costumes for Mario Kart 8 but they don't have it. Having Link will unlock the Twilight Princess top spinner in Hyrule Warriors and other then that nothing is out that supports it.