Attachments

• HDLaxCyunqqLVrNiCgBDJwQzrhSHePkDKSEd-610xh.jpg
    HDLaxCyunqqLVrNiCgBDJwQzrhSHePkDKSEd-610xh.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
unrelated: but this new system of posting images is confusing the hell out of me

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Here's another

XDAHyRKUraDKaCSHNRMKJWvwIiVCarJowuFF-610xh.jpg

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I will say abs don't impress me on a small frame. If you're skinny, you better have them! It's not until you have a lot of weight on your bones, and still have them, that you know that person is training hard.

Likewise, guys that have tons of size and no definition don't impress me either. So you have 19 inch arms. Big deal, as a lot of that is fat. I won't be impressed by fat.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
To some degree I agree with that but for me I am more impressed by the lifts and or numbers. If you can Clean and Jerk your bodyweightx2 ten times that is impressive.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
I will say abs don't impress me on a small frame. If you're skinny, you better have them! It's not until you have a lot of weight on your bones, and still have them, that you know that person is training hard.

Likewise, guys that have tons of size and no definition don't impress me either. So you have 19 inch arms. Big deal, as a lot of that is fat. I won't be impressed by fat.

Agree with most of what you say.

But the dude from the video that I posted is seriously strong, and I would not consider him as skinny. A lot of the moves he does require insane core strength.

This is what I have moved to more in recent times: Controlling/mastering my own body weight. It takes a lot of focus and concentration. I enjoy it tremendously and feel stronger than I have ever done before. It has also made me stronger with using weights. I try to combine elements of body building with 'bar-athlete' elements.. if that makes sense.

As for you pix Spike... awesome! Really amazing results; great abs and some serious chest and arms! Respect man! Gonna try to upload some pix myself now.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,

Yes ... and no. It depends on a lot of things.

Skinny guys that are insanely strong = respect. Skinny guys with abs that only have abs = I agree.

Big guys that lift a ton with an "not so bad" amount of bodyfat = respect.

Since I am 1.88 its like ultra impossible to maintain low BF levels and be as strong as I can be.

But I agree on what you said and I can understand your way of thinking ;)

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
What Daytime_Dreamer said.

Also... here is a little video regarding bodyweight training which I feel raises some interesting points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2_TGXcaMM&feature=youtu.be

But overall I guess it also depends on how seriously you work out. Do you just throw weights around without really focusing? Spike seems to be doing it right... i.e. training properly.
Me... I am a hairy mofo.....

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
What Daytime_Dreamer said.

Also... here is a little video regarding bodyweight training which I feel raises some interesting points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2_TGXcaMM&feature=youtu.be

But overall I guess it also depends on how seriously you work out. Do you just throw weights around without really focusing? Spike seems to be doing it right... i.e. training properly.
Me... I am a hairy mofo.....

Hairy mofo but hair can be removed. Better to have more than none (on your head at least :P )

Nice hard physique with low BF, congrats dude!

Spike has a very well rounded physique. A lot of hard work! Aesthetic as fuark!

Here are some pics from 2011, I must make new one's

IMG_1662.jpg

P8140056.jpg

P8140061.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I realized I didn't show much in the way of leg pics, and i always make fun of people who never show them (cause nobody works them). So...

TovfZQAZvDMZHjNlXMtGzQeFwUbtHEJSDdXs-610xh.jpg

YMrLftyeyjBWkETsFPFkfuxZttjPkuvlDcaN-610xh.jpg

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll post some more ramblings:

NOOB GAINS. Anyone here that wants to start lifting weights will fall into two categories: They give up after two weeks expecting to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in no time, or the others that stick with it for a few months and get hooked due to noob gains. Noob gains are what hooks most people. Sadly, one will never gain as much muscle and lose as much fat as they do when they first get started. It's the tractor pull effect.

What's a tractor pull?

Well, YEEE HAW! In many county fairs, hillbillies hook up their tractors to big boxes on a sand track. As the tractors go, they fly off the starting line. The farther they go, the more sand they fill up in the box (there's a vagina joke in there... I'll leave it alone). The longer they go, the slower they go. It gets to the point that it takes a terrific amount of effort to gain even a little ground. At a certain point, they simply cannot go further.

This is EXACTLY the same as weight training/fitness/bodybuilding. It's a hobby of diminishing returns. You can ONLY go so far without assistance. Your body has limits, and it gets harder and harder to advance. I imagine it's not unlike what drug users experience when they first start using. They get that high that gets harder for them to achieve. Same for fitness. You fall in love with those noob gains, and your whole life try to get that again. So you train harder... and harder... and go to extreme measures to advance. You overload on weight and sets. Eventually you get burnt out and quit, hurt yourself and quit, or take roids and go a little further (and quit).

I realize it's bleak, but if you find comfort in getting to the best you and maintaining, then that's all that matters.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Never being satisfied.

When you start into this hobby (lol, love how I call this habit a hobby? I'm having a hard time knowing what else to call it), you want to compare yourself to people and things that you want to look like. This is all good and fine, but one must understand that they will NEVER get to what you want to look like, unless you set your goals very low.

When starting out, I suggest you find someone that is obtainable and within reach. Not a mind blowing physique, but one that is doable in a short , one to two year period time. Once that's been achieved and surpassed, do it again. There's going to be a point where you will want to aim high. I'm talking stupidly high. Find a roid user or video game character that you want to look like, and be at peace that you will never get there.

I say this, because MANY times, I find people pleased... too pleased, with how they look. They say things like "this is my goal physique, how I look now." That's failure. Why is it failure? Because if you truly believe this, then what's left to push you? You can skip out on going to the gym, because you're there. You can eat poorly (more often) because you're there. You don't have to lift heavier weight, because you're satisfied with who you've become. FUCK NO. Don't ever do that.

Be humble. If somebody says you have good this or that, know that they don't know your goal. Know that your goal is nothing like what you look like. Sure, you can take a compliment, but be WELL aware that while this or that could be nice, you still have other things to improve on. And you always will.

Even the most perfect of physiques could be improved on. Frank Zane never was pleased with how he looked. In hind site, at 70 years old, he's said he looks back and think "that wasn't half bad." That's an exact quote. Even if you were to ask him now, he would tell you he could have better this or that. You need something to drive you - always.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Speaking of finding people you want to look like, genetics play a huge role in how you will look.

Some people have six packs. Some have only four. Some have eight. Anyone that tells you that everyone can have an eight pack should be ignored immediately. You won't grow more heads to the abdominals if it's not in your genes. You are just as likely to change races or your sex. You just can't do it. Likewise, it drives me nuts when people see somebody'd body part, then ask what routine they use. "How'd you get that bicep peak, yo!?" How? Genetics. Depending on where your muscle insertions are, and how your biceps naturally grow, only that one person will grow them in a certain way. Period.

I see this a lot with chest separation. How did you get your pecs to look like that? Did you do more incline/decline/flat/flies etc? It almost doesn't matter. Your body will grow the way it grows because of your genes. Don't get hung up on what people look like, and do NOT assume you can follow their routine and look the same. You simply can't. You can only be the best you your body will allow. And, you have to hope it looks good when you're done. ;)

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I will post in here, probably only once.

I drink a lot of beer.

I eat a lot of food.

I have a relatively physical job and manage to keep my 6' self around 200#.

Am I fit? No. Do I want to be tone overnight? Of course.

The best I will probably do in the near term is a lot more bike riding. Thinking about biking to and from work (~6 miles with major elevation changes).

So, the reason I'm posting here, is that all you guys posting pics look good. So here's some motivation from a fat slob, keep it up.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Love this thread. This must be the most I have ever contributed to anything on the internet :)

Lithy - lol and cheers.
Cheers also to Daytime_Dreamer... looking good yourself buddy! Lovin' the beach shot... like a proper player :)

As for Spike... man, awesome input once again. You are right, genetics play a huge role!
In my early twenties I wanted to be big and did everything but the roids to get there. The result was a lot of bloated muscles, full of water. I was too heavy for my knees and ankles though and started to have chronic problems with them both.
Over the years I figured out what is best for me and tailored my work-outs appropriately. Playing a lot of football (soccer) also meant that there was/is no point in being massive.
I am happy with this mindset now, but I agree that it is good to always want to strive for more perfection. This motivation I have found in bar workouts and in learning all the crazy moves to master my own body weight. I still love the gym though!

Again Spike, thanks for the great input - I wish I had people like you to work out with here. Brains are needed when working out I reckon.

As for legs.. aye, I'll post up some pix soon. I had a meniscus OP about 3 months ago and only started squatting again 4 weeks ago - but damn does it feel good to work the legs again! Please do share some leg routines, I would be interested to hear.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I agree with you Spike that goals are necessary or you will get bored/give up. My near goals are a one arm 1/2 body weight KB military press(44kg for me).

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Be humble. If somebody says you have good this or that, know that they don't know your goal. Know that your goal is nothing like what you look like. Sure, you can take a compliment, but be WELL aware that while this or that could be nice, you still have other things to improve on. And you always will.

@krautcroissant: Thanks, I'm not that good in terms of bodyfat (probably around 12-13% now) but I'm dieting to get that aesthetic look back. Perhaps in 2 months time I will be down to 8% (hopefully!) Strength in the gym will drop down a lot of course.

I agree with all of Spike's posts but especially with the point quoted above. There is always someone better than you in terms of strength, overall appearance, bodyfat, pretty much everything. Don't go out pretending to be something great cause that's when you are a douchebag.

At the end of the day you only do this for yourself :)

@Spike You have better legs than abs although your abs are in very good shape. You can always find a good six-pack or 8pack or whatever but good wheels? Rare!

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
1014374_3042390235715_723596830_n.jpg

LEG(S)

due to the nature of my current program, all my exercises are multi-joint and multi-muscle, so it's quite rare for me to do a routine and not have it incorporate legs for at least 70% of the total routine

i also like what Spike said about genetics

i found it really frustrating at first when i couldn't get certain parts of my body to look the way they looked on other people, but then later on, once i let that go and just let my body do its own thing, i was much better off and happier with the results

all of our bodies develop in fundamentally different ways and we need to work with what we've got and we need to grow within our own built-in limitations or we'll never be satisfied

Last edited:

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
i found it really frustrating at first when i couldn't get certain parts of my body to look the way they looked on other people, but then later on, once i let that go and just let my body do its own thing, i was much better off and happier with the results

all of our bodies develop in fundamentally different ways and we need to work with what we've got and we need to grow within our own built-in limitations or we'll never be satisfied

This.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Man, there are some fit mother fuckers here.

I run about 20-25 miles a week, and swim 1,000 meters on the weekend, but have a hard time finding time for more than two 30 minute cross training sessions a week, all legs and core work.

Because of this thread though, I actually did 45 minutes of resistance and lifting yesterday on lunch. The guys in the gym were shocked because I never do any upper body stuff anymore, lol.

Just thought you might like to know that this thread is motivating some of us to reincorporate some more well-rounded habits again. I'm doing arms tomorrow, for the first time in almost two months...

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I started up at Gold's today after a four month layoff. I injured my knee back in February, still recovering from whatever the hell I did to it. I was going to 24Hour but damn is that place packed, I much prefer the atmosphere at Gold's.

I am 6'1'' 185 right now, but would like to get down to a lean 170-175 then start putting some size on my frame.