The New Fitness thread

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Back up to doing 200-300 pushups/day, sets of 30 or 40. Also trying to switch my diet around a bit, less pasta and rice, more meat :keke: Also, back on the vitamin D, fish oil omegas, multi-vitamin.. dat neon piss :vik:

I was doing the 50-50-50 (situps, pushups, crotches) every morning then after a while I steped it up to 75 then to 100, stopped at a hundred, the holidays came, I got lazy...gotta get back to 50...lol.

When I'm super active I tend to drop if I have some freetime through out the day (even at work, in fact I do it more at work than any where else) and do a set of 20, randomly, here and there, it only takes a minute or 2 at the most. I used to fight on XBL SFHDRemix a lot, when I loose I just do pushups until my turn is up...I used to loose a lot so I used to do a lot but now not so much, I've actually gotten halfway decent, lol...no time for pushups...

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I am able to workout over lunch a couple times a week. Just sneak out of my office, go downstairs and do some mindless cardio while I watch streaming anime.

It's definitely helped, I have a lot more general endurance than usual so climbing is much easier than it used to be.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Fuck you, that's how many.

Ignore this asshole, let's keep this rolling. I'm sort of surprised Joe hasn't contributed to this thread all that much.

I'm off the internet for the most part these days

just kind of wandered in here a few weeks ago to see what's going on

but in the interest of this thread I just set two new PRs:

100 Burpees in 5m 36s and held my first Front Lever for 2 seconds

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fuck you, that's how many.

Ignore this asshole, let's keep this rolling. I'm sort of surprised Joe hasn't contributed to this thread all that much.

Less exercise threads, more Spike posts about fucking 20 year olds please.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Anybody working out these days?

Maybe it's been harder these past few months..maybe easier?

If I was somebody else, I would ask "WHAT IS THE BEST EXERCISE?"

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Yoga, running, and biking.

Wish I could swim...no chance of that until I get a pool dug.

Also wish I woulda copped a weight set and bench pre-plague.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I gained like 20 lbs at the end of last year. Stopped running, was drinking beers almost every day. Snapped out of that and began working out again at the very end of last year. Dropped all the weight I gained last year, but still weigh ~20 lbs more than I weighed when I moved back from Japan, so still working on that.

Running, lifting weights, core exercises. I recently moved house, new spot is at the mouth of a little canyon. Some pretty cool trails to mess around on up here.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
It's a wild story... I'm not even sure if I'm up to sharing it, tbh. It involves lederhosen and a shit ton of yoyos.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Got t-boned by a redlight runner 7 months back. Broke my dominate hand and bruised my rib bones pretty bad. Took forever to heal and ribs hurt like a mutherfucker... put on bad weight. Got up to 195 lbs, which was the fattest I have ever gotten in my life.

Been working consistently since the middle of February, definitely building some muscle but I have not lost a significant amount of weight yet.

I put this up to the fact that I am naturally thin and I don't bulk up when I am fit. Hence the fat I am loosing gets replaced one to one with lean muscle. I need to still find the right diet to help with this and I thinking of eating more meat than grains/legumes.

As long as I am getting stronger thats what counts to me, and I am.

Thanks to Covid I can't be the bar fly I normal am. Less drinking is good for my weight loss . I am 6 feet tall and weigh 180 right now. I wanna get down to 160, which is my fittest weight.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Got t-boned by a redlight runner 7 months back. Broke my dominate hand and bruised my rib bones pretty bad. Took forever to heal and ribs hurt like a mutherfucker... put on bad weight. Got up to 195 lbs, which was the fattest I have ever gotten in my life.

Been working consistently since the middle of February, definitely building some muscle but I have not lost a significant amount of weight yet.

I put this up to the fact that I am naturally thin and I don't bulk up when I am fit. Hence the fat I am loosing gets replaced one to one with lean muscle. I need to still find the right diet to help with this and I thinking of eating more meat than grains/legumes.

Thanks to Covid I can't be the bar fly I normal am. Less drinking is good for my weight loss . I am 6 feet tall and weigh 180 right now. I wanna get down to 160, which is my fittest weight.

I'm sorry to hear about the accident and injury.

Yeah, it can be tough bulking up with a thin frame (me).

Although I've put on muscle during the past year and a half, I'm still kinda-sorta skinny-fat (without a pump at least).

Obviously diet (and beer consumption) is huge.

In addition to weight training, I'm trying to strengthen my abs. I don't intend to ever reach a low enough body fat percentage to where my abs would show, but I'd rather have strong abs than weak ones.

I've been doing everything here except the "twisting pistons".

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah I do what ai can within the limits of what is allowed. Can't go for a run as I was doing 2 month back. That definitely sucks.
But I'm doing reasonable amounts of exercise, though I could and should do more. Still, reasonably happy being 43 and all.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I just chased my dog around the yard for 5 minutes. I'm beat! Lol

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member

Sorry to hear about your recent troubles.. I’m a body builder and a few questions that make a big difference in building muscle.

1. What do you take after lifting? Any whey protein or meat? The faster the better I drink whey the minute I stop lifting and always eat meat within 30 minutes of ending the work out. I can’t explain how important this is to gaining muscle. ( if you want to get big you need to eat a lot! Just eat healthy)

2. Do you lift heavy and until failure? This too is the other big factor. If you lift past your comfort zone you will build muscle even if being big doesn’t come naturally. Always push for 1 or 2 more while failing this is what gets you strong.

3. Do you change your lift routine? Say on legs do squats one week and then dead lifts the next never do the same work out over and over each week. This shocks the muscle!

I don’t want to sound stuck up or a know it all. It’s just I see a lot of people who say they can’t get big and they tend to make these three mistakes.

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member

I had to deal with some health bullshit at the end of last year also. Had an aortic dissection in Dec 2019 with emergency open heart surgery. Long story short my entire aorta is trashed and i have to get CT scans every 6 months for the rest of my life with a likely chance at another major surgery(s).

I am jogging 5 miles a week right now and doing basic resistance training. Heavy lifting of weights is out now due to the internal pressure it puts on my aorta, no 1 rep max DLs or Squats. I have to do 12-15 reps. I am around 170 at 6'1" and have really cleaned up my diet the past year, just trying to increase my cardio and endurance slowly.

2020 has a been a fun and exciting year so far, I am hoping for a dull and uneventful 2021.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I just go for a couple 5 mile runs a week, keeps me in check.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm sorry to hear about the accident and injury.

Yeah, it can be tough bulking up with a thin frame (me).

Although I've put on muscle during the past year and a half, I'm still kinda-sorta skinny-fat (without a pump at least).

Obviously diet (and beer consumption) is huge.

In addition to weight training, I'm trying to strengthen my abs. I don't intend to ever reach a low enough body fat percentage to where my abs would show, but I'd rather have strong abs than weak ones.

I've been doing everything here except the "twisting pistons".

I was skinny for years and years, I eventually broke the cycle of lifting for three months, fuck all happening and giving up again for 6 months that had lasted for over a decade.

The way I did that was by keeping it super simple. Working on abs is fine but they're a small group, isolating at this point isn't the best use of your time. Forget the sit ups, shrugs, curls etc etc.

Do this:

https://stronglifts.com/apps/

Get the app, put in the details, keep it updated, track your progress.

You can do this and nothing but this for at least a year before you start to plateau, maybe even two years at a stretch, don't start reading anything about deloading, split workouts, any of that stuff for a long long time. Fact is that if you get to the stage where that matters you are already looking better than 99% of guys out there and lets face it, at this point you probably just want to look "average" and you can hit that in three months no problem. In a year with this everyone will notice that you are someone who 'lifts' and you'll be twice as strong as you are now.

Next up diet, at least 60% of the battle. Good news is that you get to eat all the shit that you want! If you want to be super healthy on the inside then sure clean bulk, but your muscles don't care, they can make as much new tissue off a mcdonalds patty as they can a piece of wagyu beef. Just remember to track what you eat and make sure you get enough protein in (aim for 1g of protein for each 1lb of your bodyweight), where the rest of the calories come from is your call.

Work out your resting calorie needs (plenty of calculators out there), throw an extra 200 calories a day on and track your weight gain. Aim for about 1-2lbs a week weight gain. If you're doing the progressive workouts as listed above a good chunk of that will be muscle (some will also be fat, that's almost unavoidable but try your hardest not to worry about that at this stage, it is a SHIT TON easier to lose fat than it is to gain muscle so just focus on this for now). If you're gaining significantly more than 2lbs a week though back off the calories a bit, you're going in too hard. If you're gaining less then add more calories in.

You're going to need to supplement with protein shakes to get in your daily protein requirements. They're not so bad once you find a flavour you like. If you find you're struggling to get in the calories then get a protein powder with plenty of dextrose in, usually called 'mass gainers' or something like that.

Last up it might be worth hitting the creatine. I'm yet to hear of anyone having a negative reaction to this and it does definitely work so why not.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...this is an old thread. I was into cycling back then, dropped way down in weight. By 2015, I was getting bored with just distance cycling, so I moved to doing triathlons. I started training summer of 2015, with fucking running. God, I despise running. I got into swimming late '15 and into '16. Did tri's 16, 17 and basically got tired of that as well. Never could get my "feet" running. I was up to doing a few 5K's weekly plus other 2mi runs, but it never got any easier as most claim it would...and I'm talking about running for years, not weeks or months. I was maxing out at 10K's but after years of doing it, I was still having massive heart rate issues and never seeing any gains. Eventually I got tired of being sore all the time (to be into triathlons is to be constantly sore somewhere). By 18 I lost my focus, spent the summer working 6-12hr days a week June-Aug, stopped working out completely. Chonk'd back up to around 210 lbs.

I was pretty much there, bouncing around somewhere between 200 and 210 through 2018 and 2019. Bu last Dec, I was over 210 so I decided enough was enough. Once this entire COVID shit started and I was working from home, I began lifting and have been doing it faithfully for about 9 weeks and counting. I think this is going to be my "final frontier"...lifting. I'll get back on the bike as well...but the weather has been just awful with this being one of the coldest May's in recent record.

I'm currently right at 200...I'll be happy with a solid 190.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I don't have the mental willpower to run. I get extremely bored quickly, and running takes a long time. I can't be in my head that long.
I stopped cycling last year, but my intent is to get back to that this year. I do heavy weights 3 times a week.

None of this will get me in shape, but it does keep me midwest skinny/California fat.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was skinny for years and years, I eventually broke the cycle of lifting for three months, fuck all happening and giving up again for 6 months that had lasted for over a decade.

The way I did that was by keeping it super simple. Working on abs is fine but they're a small group, isolating at this point isn't the best use of your time. Forget the sit ups, shrugs, curls etc etc.

Do this:

https://stronglifts.com/apps/

Get the app, put in the details, keep it updated, track your progress.

You can do this and nothing but this for at least a year before you start to plateau, maybe even two years at a stretch, don't start reading anything about deloading, split workouts, any of that stuff for a long long time. Fact is that if you get to the stage where that matters you are already looking better than 99% of guys out there and lets face it, at this point you probably just want to look "average" and you can hit that in three months no problem. In a year with this everyone will notice that you are someone who 'lifts' and you'll be twice as strong as you are now.

Next up diet, at least 60% of the battle. Good news is that you get to eat all the shit that you want! If you want to be super healthy on the inside then sure clean bulk, but your muscles don't care, they can make as much new tissue off a mcdonalds patty as they can a piece of wagyu beef. Just remember to track what you eat and make sure you get enough protein in (aim for 1g of protein for each 1lb of your bodyweight), where the rest of the calories come from is your call.

Work out your resting calorie needs (plenty of calculators out there), throw an extra 200 calories a day on and track your weight gain. Aim for about 1-2lbs a week weight gain. If you're doing the progressive workouts as listed above a good chunk of that will be muscle (some will also be fat, that's almost unavoidable but try your hardest not to worry about that at this stage, it is a SHIT TON easier to lose fat than it is to gain muscle so just focus on this for now). If you're gaining significantly more than 2lbs a week though back off the calories a bit, you're going in too hard. If you're gaining less then add more calories in.

You're going to need to supplement with protein shakes to get in your daily protein requirements. They're not so bad once you find a flavour you like. If you find you're struggling to get in the calories then get a protein powder with plenty of dextrose in, usually called 'mass gainers' or something like that.

Last up it might be worth hitting the creatine. I'm yet to hear of anyone having a negative reaction to this and it does definitely work so why not.

Good stuff mate. I personally don't need to lose weight, but that was interesting and detailed

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Good stuff mate. I personally don't need to lose weight, but that was interesting and detailed

I'm just trying to help people avoid wasting the unbelievable amount of time I have. Everyone has a lucky friend who aimlessly lifted a few weights and ended up looking like rambo and thinks why isn't this working for me, maybe I need to lift heavier, or more often, or more reps or etc etc etc and all they end up is demotivated when it still doesn't work, or worse, injured.

Truth is most people are fighting an uphill battle against their genetics and it can be quickly demoralising. If you go into it thinking that you can do 200 press ups a day and you'll suddenly look like Spike, reality is going to hit hard, very very few people could ever achieve that look without steroids. For all the pressure women complain about being under to look good, the body ideal for men (v shape, 6 pack, big arms) is infinitely harder to achieve than the body ideal for a woman (not a fat cunt).

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Yeah thanks for those tips StevenK. I am not looking for a body builder physique at all, but those muscle building tips should come in handy for the bit I want to gain. I need to buy some heavier weight for sure.

Thanks for your guys concern about my little car accident, I appreciate it. I was just happy to walk away alive. It was good, in a way,because I realised my metabolism has definitely slowed down and I need to actually TRY to stay relatively fit from this point of my life foward.

Gone are the days of eating all day and going through 12 packs of beer everynight and somehow not gaining weight.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm just trying to help people avoid wasting the unbelievable amount of time I have. Everyone has a lucky friend who aimlessly lifted a few weights and ended up looking like rambo and thinks why isn't this working for me, maybe I need to lift heavier, or more often, or more reps or etc etc etc and all they end up is demotivated when it still doesn't work, or worse, injured.

Truth is most people are fighting an uphill battle against their genetics and it can be quickly demoralising. If you go into it thinking that you can do 200 press ups a day and you'll suddenly look like Spike, reality is going to hit hard, very very few people could ever achieve that look without steroids. For all the pressure women complain about being under to look good, the body ideal for men (v shape, 6 pack, big arms) is infinitely harder to achieve than the body ideal for a woman (not a fat cunt).

I hit that wall with cycling. I have a naturally irregular heartbeat and due to it, carry an abnormally high heart rate at times. I was hitting a wall with distance cycling so I took my data to some specialists who told me that my body just held too high of a HR and that literally no human could sustain that kind of beating for 5 or more hrs. At the time, I was very fit, 6' tall, under 170, cycling hours at at a time but having an average HR of around 160 and being in my mid 30's, I just could'nt do it for that many hrs at a time without killing myself. In the words of one specialist "you just weren't designed to do this". I'd have to maintain a HR in the 130's to do long distance cycling and I couldn't get my HR there at any level of effort. Running took an even larger toll on me...my HR would climb to the 170's/180's just running a 10min/mile pace.

Some do the same with working out...thinking they're going to get super massive and cut. Most have no idea the work (and intake) it takes to do that...and how quickly you lose it when you slow that work down. Some will never achieve it no matter what they do...cuz genetics. Other will cheat taking all kinds of shortcuts and well all know how well that turns out.

Last edited: