Authenticating valuable home system games

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Why would you put the authenticator on the CASE?

You know what'll happen? The bootlegger will give an authentic case to a fake cart.

Put the sticker on the cart.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I didn't notice this thread had more replies until Edmond just bumped it.

8man, I don't have a game in hand I'm concerned about, as I can't afford expensive home carts. This thread I made was more out of curiosity and hoping to gain knowledge on the matter. I do hope to end up getting a few of my favorites like Magical Drop III or Blazing Star, but that would be years down the road when I have an actual career - hopefully one day.

Right now I manage a retro videogame store and there is a very slight chance someone could come in hoping to sell a high end home cart. Before I write a big check to buy it, I would need to be quite confident in its authenticity. I doubt this will actually happen, but it would be neat.

As an aside, I don't like the idea of a grading service. I think it takes the job of authenticating from the entire community, and puts it into the hands of one or few people. I hate the VGA, both the business and the customers/collectors/speculators supporting it. I see it as all about greed, and little to do with collecting. So I may be biased here. That said, 8man's mock up looks quite nice, and I'll have to think more about my stance.

This is where I'm at:

In terms of print quality, one basically need to compare it next to a known original to be able to tell. (or have seen enough that they have the experience)

The only other way is to open the cart and check for wave soldered PCB's. Bootleggers haven't gone so far as to do this, right? (putting any discussion/argument of AF3 aside) This would work for all Japanese games, but for English games, it would be more difficult to say when it's possible an authentic Japanese homecart was sacrificed.

I have some more thoughts, but it's time for bed. I'll definitely be back soon since I know this topic has more interested.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Why would you put the authenticator on the CASE?

You know what'll happen? The bootlegger will give an authentic case to a fake cart.

Put the sticker on the cart.

The QR system would defeat this method. As you could simply look up who owned the game last. When you buy the game from the counterfeighter
just ask for his real name and if he doesn't give it you don't buy. That'S the good thing if a cart is bound to a person. Even if counterfeighters would produce fake qrcodes it would be useless as the QR codes are interlinked with the database and only real ones poinbt to the owner.
When you get such a cart from the previous owner you let 8man relink it to you (there has to be some security in place though that a counterfeighter can't relink it to himself).

What I fear though is that all which is digital can be hacked. I f some hacker got into the database and alters stuff or simply destroys it.

@8man:
Who told you that most of the boots come from germany as well as france? I never saw too many coming from there. Most I saw were either from france or spain.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
What I fear though is that all which is digital can be hacked. I f some hacker got into the database and alters stuff or simply destroys it.

About that hypothetical hacker, personally I'd defeat that by backing up the database regularly--disable the internet connection, put it on a USB thumb drive, write-protect the drive (some have this little switch you can flip to do that) and then re-enable the internet link.

Then, if the database is ever hacked or destroyed, it can be re-uploaded.

8man

Administrator
** 2014 Update **

I'm in "beta" mode with my Authentication Program.

I can verify most fakes from high-res photos, but the fakes are getting better.

I have already verified 5+ AES fakes, and the scary part, one of the fakes had a real manual. So, some counterfeiters are now including at least 1 real element, and the rest of the parts are not legit.

8nn3.jpg

To be 100% positive, I need to verify your game in person using my high-end loupe and graphics knowledge. I have a professional background in producing ultra high-res graphics using loupes, negatives, film, plates and offset printing. (SNK used offset printing). I will also compare your game to an original 100% legit AES game (from my complete AES library).

To get started, contact me via e-mail: SNKauthentication@comcast.net
(my neo-geo.com PM box gets too full, too fast)

You have to pack the games well, and ship them to me.
Once I inspect and authenticate your games, I will contact you and let you know how much the return shipping is.

Since I'm in "beta" your games will be documented and registered in my database.
And, as a bonus, all the elements of your game will also be professionally graded:
Case, Insert, Manual, Cart, Sticker, and baggie.

Once I go full public, your will receive all the paperwork and be able to view the database.

I'm working with FedEx now to get discounts on shipping for you guys.
It may take a while, because they base discounts on shipping volume.

8man

clubberlang

Zero's Secretary
I like to thank 8man for authenticating my 2 aes titles. My U.S. Metal Slug 3 and Japanese Metal Slug 5 that I purchased back in 2013 from Waku 7, I knew they were legit, but I wanted a reliable tracking record for my games if I ever decided to sell them in the future. If you have any doubts about any games being counterfeit, 8man is the guy to see and his prices are very reasonable too.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this might actually be a step into the right direction to make the homecart market bearable again.... best of luck to you 8man!

Hans Grösse

Banned
I'm glad a service like this exists. Hopefully it can be used to take down some frauds and eBay scammers.