SNK Playmore is hiring 3D game designers for new projects

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
It does? From the videos i've seen it looks like a straight up kof XIII rip off. 2d sprites and all.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Get hype for more fucking slot machine games!

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
It does? From the videos i've seen it looks like a straight up kof XIII rip off. 2d sprites and all.

Thats one thing i like about Xuan Dou Xi Wang it looks like 2D sprites but its 3D models they release costumes like every week or 2 no way they can do sprites that fast but just looking at it you can tell there 3D thats one of the things that attracted me to it KOFXIII sprites look good but thats the way it should of looked maybe thats what they are going for with their next release just weeks ago they announced 2 of their characters will join the Xuan Dou Xi Wang roster i think that game sparked something with SNK

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I would donate money to the cause if they didn't make any future 3D bullshit. Time for SNKP to get on Kickstarter?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Uhh.. so guys?

Just... the sprites.. I mean.. the not sprites!
I need a moment to process..

seems relevant, just saying

Yeah the new GG looks great. The problem I have is that SNK has always been leagues ahead ASW in the pixel art and animation department. I feel like for them, it would be much harder to replicate that classic SNK look and feel with 3D. Could be wrong though.

This probably SNK looking into new ways to monetize their dormant franchises. Probably won't even really affect KOF XIV or even XV. Gotta make a ROI on those painstakingly beautiful sprites.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
for some reason i wasn't impressed with guilty gear it looks the same to me... What i was impressed was with a Tweet that said that Sega is involved in the game. With Sega putting in work on VF5 by investing money in tourmanets in the US. I see this having a positive effect, if they keep doing what they did with VF5. I certainly dont remember Arc System works doing much with Blazeblue.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
for some reason i wasn't impressed with guilty gear it looks the same to me... What i was impressed was with a Tweet that said that Sega is involved in the game. With Sega putting in work on VF5 by investing money in tourmanets in the US. I see this having a positive effect, if they keep doing what they did with VF5. I certainly dont remember Arc System works doing much with Blazeblue.

also somebody said that Sega logo came out at the end of the trailer, so there must be more than one on the web

I hear that GGX3 coming out on the Sega Ringedge 2 arcade hardware so it could have something to do with that.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
sega does own the IP... So i could just see a 50/50 split and getting the game distributed on Nesica

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Just what we need more "rembrandts" and "mona lisas" like Metal Slug 3D and the Maximum Impact series...

Yeah... right..........

luke-skywalker.gif

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This will all end in tears and possbily another Maximum Impact game.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
This will all end in tears and possbily another Maximum Impact game.

Maximum Impact Regulation A was decent. If they put some real work behind it and tightened up the combo system/engine it could be pretty damn good. Didn't really like that new Samurai Showdown though.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Max Impact 2/Regulation A were pretty busted, but fun titles.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
is samsho even marketable? i mean somehow i just see people identify themselves more with KOF characters... and the games seem to sell better IMO... i dont like them spending money on samsho...

also arcadeshock recently went to SNK offices, super tight security, seems like they keep it old school. only other company i can think of like that is Nintendo. but im sure companies are like this in japan

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah the new GG looks great. The problem I have is that SNK has always been leagues ahead ASW in the pixel art and animation department. I feel like for them, it would be much harder to replicate that classic SNK look and feel with 3D. Could be wrong though.

This probably SNK looking into new ways to monetize their dormant franchises. Probably won't even really affect KOF XIV or even XV. Gotta make a ROI on those painstakingly beautiful sprites.

In complete agreement with you, the quality of sprite work in KOF right now is just unreal. Thats why I'm hoping they are going to bring back something else and keep going the direction they are going with KoF. They need to keep that niche covered and focus on expanding into other areas and netting new fans. That also means that they don't perhaps have to match the style EXACTLY, if they can just get close they may be able to make something great.

I'm still pulling for a new real bout, nothing on the market now plays quite like real bout.

for some reason i wasn't impressed with guilty gear it looks the same to me...

That is the point! It is no longer 2d sprites, it is 3d rendered character models and yet it looks THE SAME! If SNK could do that it would make for much more affordable and therefore more game releases that still looked proper snk.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
That is the point! It is no longer 2d sprites, it is 3d rendered character models and yet it looks THE SAME! If SNK could do that it would make for much more affordable and therefore more game releases that still looked proper snk.
SNK can't follow suit though, because the way in which they draw and animate they're characters is different to how ASW do it.

ASW use vector based artwork animation frames with significantly less frames of actual animation vs SNK's KOF XIII sprite-based art. Because of how sharp and defined ASW's vectors look vs KOF's sprites coupled with the fact they move less smoothly, I just think that the transition to 2.5D is easier for GG or BB.

Granted though, it takes a team of PPL like ASW (under Daisuke, I presume?) to make the transition look so seamless - which is something that really impressed me in the Xrd video... unlike Ky's ponytail.

If I enjoyed ASW fighters more, I'd be hyped for this announcement. But, as it stands, I'm just impressed with what I've seen and hope it all works out for those who care. It does look like ASW have finally taken their concept of making a live-action anime action movie to the next level with those intermittent 3D camera views...

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Does SNK Playmore need money?

I would donate money to the cause if they didn't make any future 3D bullshit. Time for SNKP to get on Kickstarter?

Would it be a "logical" assumption that SNK Playmore is looking to hire programmers so that they can create some games and then make money from selling those games?

And if this is in fact the case, would it be logical to assume that they would hire programmers who are qualified (regardless of the applicants ability to speak Japanese)? And in turn, would it be logical to conclude that SNK Playmore would therefore have to have at least one employee capable of communicating in English?

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
For largely cultural reasons, neither SNKP nor any other Japanese game company is ever going to use Kickstarter. Begging your fans for money handouts and acknowledging that your project carries risks would be one of the ultimate dishonors to their business. As they see it, it would only make them look even more weak and desperate than usual.

is samsho even marketable? i mean somehow i just see people identify themselves more with KOF characters... and the games seem to sell better IMO... i dont like them spending money on samsho...
The series has always been a bigger draw in Japan. More cultural resonance, and people can actually recognize that a good portion of the cast members are caricatures of historical figures.

Just what we need more "rembrandts" and "mona lisas" like Metal Slug 3D and the Maximum Impact series...
SNKP already announced two new Maximum Impact games after Regulation A, an update to RA and a MI3 for PS3/360. Both were canceled. You can bet this new KOF will be 2.5D like SFIV and many other modern fighters.

Last edited:

ritsuka666

n00b
Professor at Madman's Cafe provided a more detailed translation of the employment notice:

http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/employment/

[GAME ---- Development staffs for New "KOF" and "Samurai Shodown"]
Seeking development staffs for the greatest 3D KOF and Samurai Shodown

Recruiting multiple staffs towards the development of our next-generation "The King of Fighters" series and "Samurai Shodown" series Fighting game titles! We are looking forward to entrants with the passion and ambition to take on the challenge and creation of the next era in our two major franchises, KOF and SS!

Consumer Game Planner (5 staffs wanted)
Consumer Game Programmer (10 staffs wanted)
3DCG Designer (10 staffs wanted)

Consumer Game Programmer job summary:
-Programming job for console games
-fighting game development
-3D game development

Requirement:
-Experience in OpenGL
-Experience in PS3 development
-Experience in Xbox360 development

3DCG designer job summary:
-3DCG Designing job
-Model creation
-Texture creation
-Motion creation
-Movie creation
-Effect creation
-Authoring job
-Graphic creation using Photoshop

Requirement:
-Experience in Model creation
-Experience in Texture creation
-Experience in Motion creation
-Experience developer in Movie creation
-Experience developer in Effect creation

*Experienced developer in Bone cutback and Polygon cutback will be given higher priority
*Experienced developer in Maya, MotionBuilder will be given higher priority

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown...
Not bad.
I thought they'd give up on SS after that average X360 game...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Seeking development staffs for the greatest 3D KOF and Samurai Shodown
I have a bad feeling about a new SamSho title... if they pull it off however, that'd be great...