new june date for classics 1-5

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Composite is worse? How is that even possible? Guess I'll find out, I just got shipping notification this morning.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I hope this firmware update bricks all y'alls NGXs.

Just sayin'....

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Well crap. I guess I am just going to forget about this thing. Sounds like Tommo does not care about it really.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
The fact that they force you to buy more of their shitty products in order to acquire updates to fix a small percentage of their fuck-ups is....in a word....disgraceful to say the least.

You should be able to get these updates for free. Tommo is a joke and they continue to laugh in your faces.
How there are still people supporting them absolutely amazes me.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
They do not. Surprise!
Cardboard with flimsy plastic tray inside. B&W manual.

So you guys have both done the update and neither adapter works? What happens when you insert the adapter, does it even see the microSD card like it used to?

Have you tried Ninja Masters and does it still work? If Ninja Masters still works, then they didn't revert back to a standard SD card, so it must be some type of software change.

I'm sure someone will figure it out and come up with a way around it. I do not want to loose the Universe Bios with this update.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
So you guys have both done the update and neither adapter works? What happens when you insert the adapter, does it even see the microSD card like it used to?

Have you tried Ninja Masters and does it still work? If Ninja Masters still works, then they didn't revert back to a standard SD card, so it must be some type of software change.

I'm sure someone will figure it out and come up with a way around it. I do not want to loose the Universe Bios with this update.

Another strike for Tommo. They can't even release an update (aka. "fuck-up fix") without screwing it up. How many lives does this company get?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I got mine, updated it and played a little. Some quick impressions:

Video quality over HDMI is considerably better. Needs a scanline option though, and still no vsync. Video seems marginally better on the handheld.

Audio is better, still not as good as a real system. I think L and R are fixed, but I wasn't playing with my headphones to be sure.

Memory card support is there, but you're still locked into a US home bios.

Alvicius SD adapter no longer works.

I like the snaplock case. It's certainly not the quality of the originals, but if someone in the community made and sold similar replacement cases I would buy them to replace some of my shitty cracked old style cases.

Alvicius SD adapter no longer works.

well that was my big remaining question, since i was hoping to pick one of these up whenever somebody started selling them in the US. but i guess the firmware update doesnt fix all the problems anyway so i guess i can save my money and not pay for roms

anyone whos updated want to sell me their alvicius adapter?

I got mine, updated it and played a little. Some quick impressions:

Video quality over HDMI is considerably better. Needs a scanline option though, and still no vsync. Video seems marginally better on the handheld.

Audio is better, still not as good as a real system. I think L and R are fixed, but I wasn't playing with my headphones to be sure..

Thanks for the update, shame about V-Sync :(
Maybe they will charge for that update if they release another roms-on-an-SD-card MEGA PAK

ADDGAMER

n00b
Def allot of hate for this little system. I will say as an older gamer and parent. this fit's my budget and time investment just right. I owned an AES system in the late 90's when I had money to burn (Single, in college and lived at home). Had to sell my extensive collection to put towards a down payment on a house around 2002. I always wanted to get another AES system but did not have the funds to do so as I got older (being an adult and parent is crazy expensive). Yes there are better ways to emulate theses games (PSP, Dingo, Wii/Xbox and even Mame) I don't have the time or patience to deal with all of that crap, I use to spend allot of time with the R4 back in the day with the DS and did the mod chip route on everything from the PS1/PS2/N64 and even the dreamcast days. I spent $90 for the system on Amazon used, $80 for the mega pack and am happy with what I got. Just like mobile / handheld gaming... it's ok for short bursts. It will never have the success of say the DS or even a 360.. that's not the point, how many people / families owned an AES back in the day?. we all cut Microsoft some slack for their POS 360 RROD (i'm on console #8 due to hardware failure). My Neo-X updated just fine yesterday... no bricking. the way I figure it. I'd have to pay between $200 and $500 for a clean AES and about $100 a pop MINIMUM for some of these 36 total games pushing me well over the $4000 price point on Ebay / swaps etc. I've invested $170 so far..... it's not perfect be any means... but it also has not cost me $4000 and I have these games legally........

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Def allot of hate for this little system. I will say as an older gamer and parent. this fit's my budget and time investment just right. I owned an AES system in the late 90's when I had money to burn (Single, in college and lived at home). Had to sell my extensive collection to put towards a down payment on a house around 2002. I always wanted to get another AES system but did not have the funds to do so as I got older (being an adult and parent is crazy expensive). Yes there are better ways to emulate theses games (PSP, Dingo, Wii/Xbox and even Mame) I don't have the time or patience to deal with all of that crap, I use to spend allot of time with the R4 back in the day with the DS and did the mod chip route on everything from the PS1/PS2/N64 and even the dreamcast days. I spent $90 for the system on Amazon used, $80 for the mega pack and am happy with what I got. Just like mobile / handheld gaming... it's ok for short bursts. It will never have the success of say the DS or even a 360.. that's not the point, how many people / families owned an AES back in the day?. we all cut Microsoft some slack for their POS 360 RROD (i'm on console #8 due to hardware failure). My Neo-X updated just fine yesterday... no bricking. the way I figure it. I'd have to pay between $200 and $500 for a clean AES and about $100 a pop MINIMUM for some of these 36 total games pushing me well over the $4000 price point on Ebay / swaps etc. I've invested $170 so far..... it's not perfect be any means... but it also has not cost me $4000 and I have these games legally........

Yep, I feel the same way. Paid 120 for mine with an extra stick. I will get the Mega Pack at some point, but waiting to see if any pop up that people bought and then decide to keep their system hackable first.

Even if I pay full price, I've got 36 games for 200 bucks. I had a cab and 30+ kits for 5 years or so. Like you said, I had probably 3-4k in games.

Honestly even without the update, this looks just fine on my old Sony Wega tube through HDMI. I haven't seen any screen tearing.

Is it as good as the real deal? No but the value is there. The handheld is nifty, and the dock is workable.

Eventually someone will rehack it anyway, then it will even better.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
ADDGAMER, Yeah, not all of us hate the thing. For me, I leave the X hooked up to the TV all the time, and I can play a quick game of Metal Slug or whatever without pulling one of the Neo rigs out (which aren't permanently connected due to size.) Plus, with the Mega Pack I now have several games legally that I don't own in any other format.

i love mine, but admittedly a) i got it for 100, not 250 or whatever it launched at and b) i use it primarily as a portable and the portable is gorgeous, with none of the hdmi video problems the dock has

not only that, but the arcade stick is friggin beautiful and works with pc. i even got a second one

i would have a full mvs setup if i could but i already have a galaga and a six player x-men and well..supposed to be getting married next year so i gotta knock off those sorta purchases haha

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
I am pretty happy with mine, and the update went well. The only issue I have is the ever so slight input delay when it is running via HDMI..... I don't notice the tearing, and the sound is improved. Does everyone else sense the input lag using the joysticks? Anyone been able to resolve it?

Last edited: