is anyone waiting for PS3 port of Ketsui?

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
hopefully it's not a big deal but the ps1 dodonpachi on ps3 feels super off to me compared to the saturn and emulated arcade versions I'm used to, even on a crt, if the feel is just a tiny bit off for me it can really kill my experience.
If you care about input lag, don't buy PS1 games over PSN to play on a PS3. This has been documented on multiple fourms, testing many games, wired and wireless controllers, CRTs and LCDs. I learned my lesson with R-Types.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
aw man I totally forgot about this.

controls not as tight? :( can you elaborate at all? have you tried playing on a CRT? hopefully it's not a big deal but the ps1 dodonpachi on ps3 feels super off to me compared to the saturn and emulated arcade versions I'm used to, even on a crt, if the feel is just a tiny bit off for me it can really kill my experience.
PS3 has inherent lag when emulating PS2 and PSX.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
If you care about input lag, don't buy PS1 games over PSN to play on a PS3. This has been documented on multiple fourms, testing many games, wired and wireless controllers, CRTs and LCDs. I learned my lesson with R-Types.

What's funny is that the input lag is so much less noticeable, nearly non-existent when playing PS1 games on a PSP. But yeah, I've gone through all the hoops myself, including USB Saturn pad on a CRT, and nothing works, PS3 lags these PS1 games up and ruins them.

Also of note, Vita has a bit of lag with PS1 games as well. It's just....... odd.... that PSP handles them the best when it's the weakest of the 3. It must be some kind of architecture issue where PSP shares some chips with PS1 or something like that? I don't know.....

Last edited:

-D-

Zero's Secretary
I got Ketsui for PS3 last week, clocked about 15 hours into it so far, I'm playing USB Saturn pad on a CRT and there's no lag. Maybe it's the PS3 controller causing lag for other people? I don't know, I never bother playing a shmup with that controller.

Anyway, this is my first real experience with Ketsui, so yeah, you could say I'm having the time of my life playing it! :buttrock:

lordnikon

Another Striker
What's funny is that the input lag is so much less noticeable, nearly non-existent when playing PS1 games on a PSP.
The input lag is even less noticeable on a PS1. lol... had to say this :)

But yea, I prefer to play many of the great PS1 games using actual PS1/PS2 hardware for true authenticity.

I got Ketsui for PS3 last week, clocked about 15 hours into it so far, I'm playing USB Saturn pad on a CRT and there's no lag. Maybe it's the PS3 controller causing lag for other people? I don't know, I never bother playing a shmup with that controller.

Anyway, this is my first real experience with Ketsui, so yeah, you could say I'm having the time of my life playing it! :buttrock:
Great to see you are enjoying it, I need to pick this up as well. I will be using an HRAP2 with a Pelican Converter.

I have played it in the past in shmup-mame when the rom hit the net, but I want it on a device that I can run on a TV (SDTV). Hopefully more Cave games follow on PS3, but just having Ketsui is a big plus.

Is there a 240p TATE mode?

Kiken

Camel Slug
I have played it in the past in shmup-mame when the rom hit the net, but I want it on a device that I can run on a TV (SDTV). Hopefully more Cave games follow on PS3, but just having Ketsui is a big plus.

Is there a 240p TATE mode?

Neither the XBox 360 or the PS3 support native 240P. The lowest resolution for each console is 480i. We had both releases of Ketsui running through S-Video on tate'd CRTs during the past Shmupmeet and both looked solid.

Also, Cave stated that they were done releasing ports to consoles (their last was SDOJ on 360). Ketsui was not released by Cave, but rather 5pb/MAGES who have been steadily porting over much of their 360-exclusive roster to the PS3 recently. That said, while they were responsible for releasing DOJ Black Label on 360, given the whole 'stolen code' fiasco surrounding that port, the chances of seeing it ported to PS3 are pretty much 0.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
Also, Cave stated that they were done releasing ports to consoles (their last was SDOJ on 360). Ketsui was not released by Cave, but rather 5pb/MAGES who have been steadily porting over much of their 360-exclusive roster to the PS3 recently. That said, while they were responsible for releasing DOJ Black Label on 360, given the whole 'stolen code' fiasco surrounding that port, the chances of seeing it ported to PS3 are pretty much 0.
I always take what cave's says with a grain of salt. They've said on a half a dozen occasions that they wouldn't be porting games to consoles... though that could very well be the case now that Asada resigned and joined MAGES.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
The input lag is even less noticeable on a PS1. lol... had to say this :)

But yea, I prefer to play many of the great PS1 games using actual PS1/PS2 hardware for true authenticity.

I couldn't agree more that original hardware >>> emulation. But I just found it funny that the PSP with it's vastly lessened computational power emulates PS1 games mostly lag-free while PS3 is a lagfest for it. Seems Sony envisioned PSP as full-on portable PlayStation and took that idea seriously enough to pour a lot of resources into making their emulator pretty good for it; while half-assing the emulator for PS3.

-D-

Zero's Secretary
My $599 USD doorstop suggests I can't test that theory, sorry man.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Is that also the case with the ps3s that had the ps1's processor (launch models)?

If I recall correctly the original fat PS3s had the PS2 hardware chip ("emotion engine") but still used software emulation for PS1 discs...

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

Just purchased this game :)

Last edited:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
PS3 Ketsui is on sale @ Play-Asia right now for $52 down from $65, not bad since I was going to buy it anyway. Was able to upgrade to Fed-Ex shipping for what amounted to free, but if your patient this is a steal with free shipping.