Neo X stick binding (extra bump) source identified.

SSS

neo retired
Decided to make my own thread after reading the other one. The issue is not the plate, nor the "ball joint", it's not the spring. All components are practically identical to the old style stick, the binding is due to this piece:

2013-05-03_21-58-27_471-picsay_zps0c933cae.jpg

There is a slight variation in the mold from the actual old style stick. The area where the joystick pivots is a bit wider than the OEM part. This is causing the ball joint to slip.

I was able to replicate this even when swapping out the Tommo ball joint for the OEM one (as far as I can tell both are idetical), didn't make a difference.

I assembled the Neo X controller with all the original Tommo components, except I installed the Old Style Stick version of that piece in the photo. No more binding.

Oh, yeah. The fuckos at Tommo also forgot to include the dust washer that sits between the ball joint and joystick case. Dust washer was also included in the PS2 Neo stick (I rebuilt my other Neo X stick using components from that one)

maikun81

n00b
Great job! Where can I find a part like this? I don't have to salvage it from a neo stick do I?

SSS

neo retired
Great job! Where can I find a part like this? I don't have to salvage it from a neo stick do I?

Unfortunately, I believe this part was custom made for the Neo style stick alone. I am unaware if it was used for any other brands. If you can track down the PS2 or PS3 neo stick 2. You can move the components over if you feel uncomfortable sacrficing an original.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
The method I outlined in the other thread works perfectly as well.. I'm sure there are a few ways to solve this issue. I cant sacrifice one of my AES sticks for one of these things.

SSS

neo retired
The method I outlined in the other thread works perfectly as well.. I'm sure there are a few ways to solve this issue. I cant sacrifice one of my AES sticks for one of these things.

I initially tried your fix, but still had the same results. The slippage and the bump is not occuring at the plate end. So forcing the joystick to sit further down will not fix the ball joint issue. The bump is occuring where the curved surface of the ball joint is slipping from the hole in that plastic base. So just shaving down the other side won't do anything.

The Tommo ball joint and the stock one are pretty much twins, in fact the stock one may actually be a bit thicker.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'll check this later today but like we've already discovered, there is a lot of things wrong with the stick build in this thing. Best thing to do is to remove it completely and swap in a whole assembly from an OSS or bean.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Are the stick assemblies in the old style stick and the bean identical? I've never had a bean stick.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Are the stick assemblies in the old style stick and the bean identical? I've never had a bean stick.

If I remember correctly, shaft length is the only difference.

SSS

neo retired
there is a lot of things wrong with the stick build in this thing..

I don't agree. I looked at both the OSS and the Tommo parts closely. Other than color, they are indiscernible from each other. They essentially cloned everything.

The spring is possibly a little weaker, but like I said I reassembled the stick with all the Tommo parts except the plastic base, and it feels perfect.

I read what you stated about the ball joint having too much slop on the joystick shaft due to size of the hole. However the OSS part had the same amount of freeplay and it isn't a factor once the stick is assembled.

If it bugs you, you can wrap a small strip of electrical tape around the shaft (cuts ends to meet, not overlap) where the ball joint rests to minimize the excess wiggle.

You don't even need to assemble the joystick to see the problem. Hold the plastic base in one hand, put the ball joint on the joystick and press the pieces together. Just by manipulating it around you will feel the little stutter.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I used a micrometer and there are many differences.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just sat down with my Neo X stick and a beat up old style stick and swapped some parts. I was planning on swapping the entire assembly, but the X's wires were soldered to the switches and I don't have my soldering iron handy, so I swapped everything in the stick except for the switches. I must say, this stick is awesome now. I like the buttons on the X stick a little better than the original anyway, and with the superior original stick this is great. I played a little KOF with Terry and I could pull off the power geyser every single time, and I always had trouble with that with the stock X stick. It even feels a little better than it did in the old stick, but the switches in the old stick are probably very worn.

I put the X stick into the old style stick with the weak switches, it feels pretty terrible, much worse than the regular X stick.

Now if I can just put some Seimitsu buttons in the thing, it will be perfection.

Eze

n00b
Being the owner of multiple arcade sticks, one being the Hori Fighting Edge (modded with Sanwa buttons), I was wondering if there's a specific style of button used for the NGX Stick and where I could order some. The stick itself is fine for what it is, and for the price of the bundle as a whole I have 0 complaints, but if I am able to modify the buttons and switches and possibly even the restrictor gate, that would make the gameplay much more comfortable to me. The reason I ask is because it seems as though the buttons are smaller than the average Sanwa button.

Decided to ask here instead of making a thread.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
24mm sanwa buttons, you have to modify the case some though to make them fit.