RGB Supergun: Make it your own or... where to buy one?

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
is it a problem not having a test switch if you have universe bios?

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
I still don't know, I have never made such a thing. And my soldering skill is at novice level lol

I'd like to make a supergun which can run any board, and than can eventually be customized easely (like adding new features or button/pots).

if possible i'd like to use the same video din as neo geo home system's, it's small and I already have a neo rgb cable, but maybe a scart rgb would be more versatile and comfortable for replacements.

rgb knobs are really somehting I'd love to ad.

anyway... seeing those vogatek mk4s going for less than 40 euro makes me want to get one badly! lol
i read that you can add a test button without big effort...

since i will be mostly playing neo games for a long time or so... maybe a vogatek + a mv1 would be a cheap and great choice!

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
guys, just one question more...

is a consolized mvs better than a mvs + vokatek mk4 ? or is it just an aesthetic factor?

i need high quality rgb video, nothing more than that.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you plan on playing more than just Neo Geo then a supergun is better.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
i'd love to play a few pcbs too, but to me now is more of a cheap factor.

a consolized neo will never cost me less than about 200 euro i fear, with no jamma pcbs usability...

vogatek + mv1b is hardly more than 100 euros, as long as quality is at arcade standard i would more than happy with it.

I'm going to use my aes sticks on it. and i only need rgb video connection, i can pass on stereo for now.

mikey

Marked Wolf
If you're looking for a cheap way to just play arcade boards, grab the supergun. You'll be able to play pretty much anything you want, you can use your neo joystick, and it's cheap. You can't lose. Consolized mvs boards can get expensive unless you do it yourself, but if you have a supergun you can still use an mvs and any other jamma board you'd like to play. In your case, I would just grab the supergun, from what you're saying it sounds like that what you want.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
i just got an mv1fz with some carts, but i'm still waiting for my supergun to arrive.

i'm thinking about making a provvisory setup with a jamma harness, an atx power supply and a modified scart cable to test them.

is a 300W power supply enough for the job? i read 400W is advised.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
i just got an mv1fz with some carts, but i'm still waiting for my supergun to arrive.

i'm thinking about making a provvisory setup with a jamma harness, an atx power supply and a modified scart cable to test them.

is a 300W power supply enough for the job? i read 400W is advised.

400 watts!

Way beyond overkill.

Most arcade PSU's are what, around 100 or so watts?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The 1st Supergun I made was only 45 watt max continuous. And it played everything I threw at it including a 4 and 6 slot.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
thank you guys! is it connecting a standard 300W pc power supply to a neo geo mvsfz easy? i read that you have to short-circuit a psu pin in order to get all voltages from the psu

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
You need to short out or put a switch if you want, between PS_ON and Ground (COM)
connector_atx_pinout.gif

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
thanks again ;))

i just tried to power it up with just sync and blue/blue ground connected, it was a real mess! lol
connections were bad and there were cables all around -.-

picture was grey and all messed going up and down the screen.

but i guess this is normal for a stoneage scart partial connection made by a total noob...

i found various different info on the web about making a scart rgb connector...

maybe i did it wrong connecting the blue cable to both the scart pins 5 and 7 ( now i guess i had to connect the black cable (mass) to pin 5)

Last edited:

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
ihihihihih!

i just made my MVS work!

picture is crisp, no sound yet, no controls yet!

hip hip hurrà! :mr_t:

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
just added audio and controls, it is a test rig, waiting for the vogatek to arrive ;)

but i manage to use every function, from the full controls to the test menu.

damn, this stuff is intriguing!

and superguns / consolized setups cost too much

even a lazy ass like me can get a mvs work properly at home! and no soldering done lol

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
yes lol, but it turned out to work smoothly ^^

i'm waiting for my vogatech to arrive ;)

you can't guess what I used to connect the neo geo old style stick: NEEDLES -.-'''

yet it works smoothly lol

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Very dangerous. It only takes 80mA across the heart to kill you. Thats a small amount.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
aren't jamma voltages very low? you mean that the 12/5 volts of an ATX power supply can kill you?

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
anyway the needles were secured inside the port holes, there's no risk about that ;)

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I am with Xian when I saw no soldering. Yikes bro......get yourself a decent solder gun

Last edited:

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
i have a solder gun, i just wanted to see if the thing worked lol

by the way i'm waiting for a small supergun to arrive through mail ;)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
listen to the good folks here. Better safe than sorry... or dead.

I have some congenital trouble with my heart (tachyarrhythmia absoluta), that shit is scary.