So what the hell is an XCV-P8 board..?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I have stumbled across this board and I am assuming it is an official MVS --> ROM System Converter.

If anyone has seen one before or already owns one then let me know, it would be very much appreciated to hear your thoughts...

xcv-p8_top.jpg

xcv-p8_bottom.jpg

I expect there will be certain people who will have some info on this... but can we keep this thread on track please and lets not get this into another playground fight.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I think that's a test board, but I'm not sure it's 100% legit. let me do some digging, I saw a picture similar to that as a "MVS to AES" converter.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Interesting. Is this one also from the guy who said that he worked with SNK years ago?

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
wow, never seen one of these before. looks to be an official converter to test MVS carts on AES. You should try it out Rog :buttrock:

AlecRob

Banned
Who wants to bet NGF has owned this at some point :p

Looks really cool. I wonder if it had any compatibility issues.. Don't some converters have difficulty with scaling?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Who wants to bet NGF has owned this at some point :p

Looks really cool. I wonder if it had any compatibility issues.. Don't some converters have difficulty with scaling?

Chris and Dion started making them 5 years before the first commercial converters came out.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I would like to keep this thread into finding out more about this pcb, can we please leave all this about NGF out of this thread.

I honestly am curious about this as well, I have never seen anything like it. I wonder if it was a one-off thing that somebody with some tech knowledge built.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Made in 2000, though? How strange. It definitely looks to be an MVS converter for the home system, and is identical to that second picture. Wonder if this really is SNK made, or just a Chinese part made to look authentic. Either way, it's pretty interesting.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That auction has a reserve on it. Doubt the owner will let it go for a cheap, or even rational, price.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
That auction has a reserve on it. Doubt the owner will let it go for a cheap, or even rational, price.

Yeah, if you read the listing he is definitely trying to get maximum he can for this. I bid 30000yen before I put it up here but that was beaten immediately and now someone else has bid more anyway.

To me that definitely looks an official SNK board, but as I don't have a need to play MVS games on my Home System, I won't go anymore... my Cabs and CMVS do me just fine.
Best to let this one go to someone who wants to add it to their proto collection?

Would be interesting to know though whether this board has the same issues as other converters on the market.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Official SNK convertor?

I have to say, I have seen many different types and styles of MVS converters over the years but I don't recall ever seeing anything like this. Also the link posted to the older thread with a picture of what appears to be the same item was not close enough to see the SNK logo and such on it.

Granted, Chinese pirates can make anything look real, and that is of course a remote possibility here, but I don't think that is the case here. This thing looks totally real and SNK made. The etchings and fonts used for the SNK logo and smaller text is spot on to what it would look like if it were an authentic SNK made device. (although the Chinese text would never be on an authentic Japanese SNK product)

One things for sure, whatever logic it has, must be hidden inside the small section of home cart shell at the bottom because there is nothing to be seen on the boards shown.

I would be very curious as to it's compatibility. In theory, if truly 100% authentic, it would be hands down "perfection" as far as that goes. I mean because it would be flawless.

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
This would have sat very nicely alongside my Pranslation, MVSchangeAEG and Doublespace.... but that is silly money.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Christ... 500,000 yen.

There are some serious collectors out there. Hopefully it has gone to someone in the community and eventually we will see a flawless converter being released.

So... Was it anyone on here...?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
at 500,000 yen it's going to be awfully hilarious if it's got all the same issues as the other converters!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For games that require the backup RAM of the MVS mobo to function, no converter could ever work.

He told me he has a mod for the AES to add backup tam for those game but its strictly a system mod.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nice that he was laying it on a rug. Also is it me or are there no chips on that thing? Anyway:

Translation from the top: SNK AM: Production Department Management of Products

<Do not> Disassemble、Analyze, or Sell

Last edited: