Fix for NGX stick bump.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I have an extra stick I use for MAME so I decided to play around a little and try to figure out what exactly was causing the stick bump. Part of the problem lies here..

Untitled-1-1_zps85425f24.jpg

The very end of the stick falls down into the beveled edge causing the bump feeling.

Cutting or filing down the part shown below allows for the stick to sit further down in the guide hole and helps to prevent it from moving downward into it. You want to alter the part that sits on the shell.. Not the more rounded side, of course.

Untitled-3-1_zps70edd499.jpg

This part is found under the actuators between the top plastic shell and the bracket that the actuators are attached to. You have to remove the C ring that hold the spring to the stick to get to this. Once its done you can pop it back together and not have to worry about this annoying issue anymore. This is a quick method with no need for any extra parts!

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That'll wear out the actuator and cause it to cut into the plastic. The bump itself is from a weak spring and combined with too much play on the microswitch. You can just throw in a trimmed 1mm oversized actuator to get rid of it.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
How will it wear out the actuator? The stick is interacting with it in virtually the same place. This just allows the stick to sit just low enough not to fall into the guide. I checked it pretty well and it doesn't seem to change any functionality or rub anything. The stick feels perfect now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did some testing today. You were on to something but the problem is a combination of the weak spring and the black piece(ball joint) in your picture. The problem with the black piece is that the hole is too big by 1-1.5mm so that extra play causes the stick to move too much when the actuator hits the gate and should stop but it keep moving because of the hole on the ball joint. Swapping in a ball joint from an OSS fixes the problem completely when paired with the OSS spring.

When I was measuring everything it didn't even seem like Tommo measured anything and instead just made molds off the old parts as all the measurements were different.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Did some testing today. You were on to something but the problem is a combination of the weak spring and the black piece(ball joint) in your picture. The problem with the black piece is that the hole is too big by 1-1.5mm so that extra play causes the stick to move too much when the actuator hits the gate and should stop but it keep moving because of the hole on the ball joint. Swapping in a ball joint from an OSS fixes the problem completely when paired with the OSS spring.

When I was measuring everything it didn't even seem like Tommo measured anything and instead just made molds off the old parts as all the measurements were different.

Yeah.. The spring is definitely part of the issue.. I actually carefully extended the stock spring to give it a little more resistance. My goal here was to use no extra parts. My stick feels perfect now. The same could be accomplished with what you are talking about too though. I just didn't have any extra parts.