The Evil Within: New horror game by Shinji Mikami

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
He worked at Platinum for a while there and directed Vanquish

Accord to Wikipedia, here's Mikami's games since RE4:
The Evil Within 2014 Director
Shadows of the Damned 2011 Creative producer (he supposedly was responsible for the gameplay- you think Suda would have put together a game that played that clean on his own?)
Vanquish 2010 Director (as mentioned)
God Hand

And c'mon, when you're a goddamned rockstar in this business for as long as he's been, you have enough money you can afford to take a light workload for a few years.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Games I want Mikami to work on other than The Evil Within 2:

Resident Evil Revelations 3
Resident Evil 7
God Hand 2
Vanquish 2 (even though I don't care that much for the first one)

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Games I want Mikami to work on other than The Evil Within 2:

Resident Evil Revelations 3
Resident Evil 7
God Hand 2
Vanquish 2 (even though I don't care that much for the first one)

I think i read somewhere that TEW is Mikami's last game.

Incidentally, ive been playing New Game+ and having a blast. All green gel is doubled and im close to maxing out my stats across the board.

It's kept me playing - but Sunset Overdrive is tomorrow so ill be done with this game soon.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
That is really too bad on multiple levels.

I got zero hits when I googled "evil within mikami's last game."

So I wouldn't put much stock in that.

edit: game gets much better as I get a feel for it and the levels get more sure-footed. More ammo and upgraded weapons also helps a lot. Feels more like a straight-up RE4 predecessor with a heavy dose of Silent Hill midway through.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
LTTP on this one, but it was on sale for $30 so I figured I'd snag it and give it a try. I only have a couple hours into it. My only complaint so far is that the combat can be jerky sometimes, and the camera seems to never be in an optimal place. I really like the atmosphere so far, though. In some places, it kind of reminds me of Alan Wake, in some, Silent Hill, and in others, Resident Evil. This game got shit on pretty hard in this thread and I'm not feeling any of that hate. Well, not yet, anyway. The black bars don't bother me, though. I forget they're even there.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
LTTP on this one, but it was on sale for $30 so I figured I'd snag it and give it a try. I only have a couple hours into it. My only complaint so far is that the combat can be jerky sometimes, and the camera seems to never be in an optimal place. I really like the atmosphere so far, though. In some places, it kind of reminds me of Alan Wake, in some, Silent Hill, and in others, Resident Evil. This game got shit on pretty hard in this thread and I'm not feeling any of that hate. Well, not yet, anyway. The black bars don't bother me, though. I forget they're even there.

if you're playing the PC version, there's an option to turn off the black bars.

And yeah, this game got too much hate - i really enjoyed it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The story could have gone in so many directions, and it went in precisely the worst one.

Steve

The Wonder Years,

Pretty much my feeling.

I played it last week and the other night. Got through the first two chapters. Got my ass whupped in chapter 3 and honestly, didn't feel an overwhelming sense to return to it and complete it. It's alright. I too felt the camera angle could be 2-3 feet behind the character. It's way too close. I do like killing the zombies with their own torches though. At one point in ch. 2 I got serious flashbacks to PC FPS BLOOD.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
FYI that this game is on sale at Target for $30 and if you download the Cartwheel app on your phone you can get an additional 50% coupon bringing the game to $15. Offer expires May 2nd, but you have to do it in store, not online. Pretty awesome deal.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Bethesda just released a 4gig update file for PS4 and XBOne that lets you turn off the black bars (the forced aspect ratio thing everyone hated) in the graphics options.

It really makes a big difference.

Just happened to pick the game up for the first time right after this happened, so I inadvertently had really good timing.

On chapter 3 now- game is much better than I was expecting. Viva Halloween game buying!

If you haven't, give it a go.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Been playing all night, such a fun game once you get the hang of it.

Full screen makes it even better.

Awesome game, glad I waited so long.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
What a collection of transformer-collecting assholes.

I tried putting genuine gravitas into my last post and replies = 0

Fuck you all.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Aw, someone needs attention...here you go buddy, feed off...attaboy!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
What a collection of transformer-collecting assholes.

I tried putting genuine gravitas into my last post and replies = 0

Fuck you all.

Transformers? Plz...

I'm all about the Go-Bots (and Amiibos).

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Sorry for bumping an old thread guys...but I just started playing this finally. (It's been in my to do pile since black Friday 2014.).... all I can say is WOW! Loving it. Is the DLC worth getting ? I'm assuming the horror guys can answer this. ...Taiso..and others ;)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
If you read this thread, you will see that I was extremely disappointed in the main game.

But I thought the DLC, which I had because I stupidly bought the Season Pass before knowing anything about it. I know, I'm part of the problem. But hey...Mikami. I was stoked at the time.

I am happy to report that the DLC is actually better than the main game. Significantly better, in fact. I wish that the whole game would have been an expansion of the stuff in this.

xorthen

Banned
In my opinion, no the DLC isn't worth getting. You really haven't played the game until you have played it on the Akumu difficulty though. Good luck.