The Evil Within: New horror game by Shinji Mikami

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I played the game a little bit more today. Unless I can figure out how to get rid of the bars at the top and bottom of the screen I'm done with it. There is no reason at all for those to be there unless I was using an old 4:3 screen.

It's the whole "cinematic" thing Mikami has been pimping since the original Resident Evil's "Director's cut" it's a misfire to be sure in this case, though it never really bugged me as much as it obviously has others

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I...I can't. I'm not having fun with this game.

Purchase deleted.

Strong candidate for worst purchase of the year for me.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I am on chapter 15 now. I hope to have this game finished tonight so that I can be done with it for a while.

Gameplay is all right. RE 4, 5 and 6 have vastly better mechanics.

Story is somewhat interesting, but not that creepy, twisted, messed up or horrific. The monsters are generic as fuck.

Sebastian's story would have been more interesting had it been presented with cutscenes. I don't care about this dipshit at all. Datafiles should add flavor to the setting, not tell the protagonist's story. So bad.

Oh, and the villain's story being told through the tape playbacks is equally bad. Very lazy.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I am on chapter 15 now. I hope to have this game finished tonight so that I can be done with it for a while.

Gameplay is all right. RE 4, 5 and 6 have vastly better mechanics.

Story is somewhat interesting, but not that creepy, twisted, messed up or horrific. The monsters are generic as fuck.

Sebastian's story would have been more interested had it been presented with cutscenes. I don't care about this dipshit at all. Datafiles should add flavor to the setting, not tell the protagonist's story. So bad.

Oh, and the villain's story being told through the tape playbacks is equally bad. Very lazy.

I definitely agree with you that RE6 has vastly better mechanics the TEW and IMO, RE4 RE5 and RE6 all are a MUCH better games overall. For mechanics, I don't know if i'd agree with RE4 and RE5 being superior.

How are RE4 and RE5 mechanics vastly superior to this game?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I definitely agree with you that RE6 has vastly better mechanics the TEW and IMO, RE4 RE5 and RE6 all are a MUCH better games overall. For mechanics, I don't know if i'd agree with RE4 and RE5 being superior.

How are RE4 and RE5 mechanics vastly superior to this game?

Because relative to the threat types presented to you in those games, they're more fun to play. Those games work better and are far more engaging to me.

This game's mechanics fail in my opinion because the combat isn't fun. It's frustrating, tedious and a chore. The blueprint for a good game engine is here but just saying 'you can move and shoot and strafe so it's better' isn't valid IMO.

EDIT: Dead Space did this type of action way better than The Evil Within. It didn't have the chop socky cinematic action of RE 6 (which is fun), but it gave us shaped damage and a much better weapon customization system, clutter and complication free (until 3), than TEW.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Because relative to the threat types presented to you in those games, they're more fun to play. Those games work better and are far more engaging to me.

This game's mechanics fail in my opinion because the combat isn't fun. It's frustrating, tedious and a chore. The blueprint for a good game engine is here but just saying 'you can move and shoot and strafe so it's better' isn't valid IMO.

EDIT: Dead Space did this type of action way better than The Evil Within. It didn't have the chop socky cinematic action of RE 6 (which is fun), but it gave us shaped damage and a much better weapon customization system, clutter and complication free (until 3), than TEW.

Yeah I pretty much agree with that. The combat really isn't all that fun. RE4 - RE6, DS and TLoU were all way better and way more fun. This game does some things better and overall was a good game but for the most part I think i'm done...IDK

I don't really feel all that compelled to play it again.

Just finished the game.
Clear Time - 22:20:21
Total Deaths - 100 (kind of funny that I died exactly 100 times)

Unlocked two new difficulty levels. Hard and Nightmare. Just like RE4 and TLoU, New Game + doesn't allow higher difficulties but you can revert to lower ones. Ugh kind of makes me not want to play it again.

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Im enjoying this game a lot.more than i expected. it started slow but by the end of chapter 5 i was sold and didnt even noticed. sure i'll give it another run once i beat it. Honestly one the best things i played this year. Not RE standards tough. But 20x better game than Resi6..
The borders are a pain... I zoomed the aspec ratio on my tv to get rid of them...

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
That doesn't cause cropping?

nope, the tv (LG 42") has a zoom preset (that i never use) for 2.35.1 picture.
It only crops whats outside of the black borders, like the pause menu, ps4 dashboard and so on... no problem since everything gameplay wise happens within the black borders.
the evil within is not purely scope format im left with just a little bit of black on the bottom and top. like a finger wide..
after playing for 5 hours like this i cant go back.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
just finished playing it on my pc. right after the end credits, it showed the 'chapter 15 clear' spashscreen & then the game crashed.
regardless, the water monster b.s. makes me not want to play it again. :p

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I just finished this.

Budget title for sure.

Do not buy at full price if you haven't already picked it up. It's worth 20 bucks. Not a penny more.

The genre has surpassed Mikami's abilities if this is the best he can do.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I just finished this.

Budget title for sure.

Do not buy at full price if you haven't already picked it up. It's worth 20 bucks. Not a penny more.

The genre has surpassed Mikami's abilities if this is the best he can do.

I've been watching more of the playthrough and I have to take back some criticism I gave it for being boring (story wise). The concept behind the plot isn't engrossing, but it's not terrible either.

The game touches on some novel story telling ideas and then runs back to tropey trash that's been done to death already.

Gameplay remains uninteresting; I guess this is like paying 60 bucks to rent a 15 hour interactive movie....because the replay value still seems to be hovering around zero so far.

Last edited:

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Im still really enjoying it. Ive gotten the grasp as to how to manipulate the combat in my favor. I still feel that the game is being artifically made longer because of my overly cautious nature, but I cant wait to finish it to actually go back through some of the sections I missed and look for those small keys.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Replaying the first chapter reminded me of my initial hopes for this game. The sneaking to get those first set of keys. The hiding and the tension. It felt a lot like runnin from Nemesis or the first Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground monsters. Unfortunately much like Clock Tower 3, the first chapter is the only real threatening monster and every other encounter/monster is just the same old shit.

Also, I really looked forward to exploring the Beacon Mental Hospital and I wish most if not all of the game took place there. Man that would have been an incredible setting for a game like this. Uncovering some kind crazy conspiracy and encountering all kind of weird shit.

Ah well.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Replaying the first chapter reminded me of my initial hopes for this game. The sneaking to get those first set of keys. The hiding and the tension. It felt a lot like runnin from Nemesis or the first Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground monsters. Unfortunately much like Clock Tower 3, the first chapter is the only real threatening monster and every other encounter/monster is just the same old shit.

Also, I really looked forward to exploring the Beacon Mental Hospital and I wish most if not all of the game took place there. Man that would have been an incredible setting for a game like this. Uncovering some kind crazy conspiracy and encountering all kind of weird shit.

Ah well.

but at least the eye balls level was cool right? :spock:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I am really grateful for the detailed feedback on this one. I was on the fence about buying it and I may have even spent time or money on some minor PC upgrades just to play this game.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I have given up on the game. Still have not played Alien but I'm pretty positive it's better than this one.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I have given up on the game. Still have not played Alien but I'm pretty positive it's better than this one.

I'm sure it's no surprise, but this is exactly what I think.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kind of paradoxically: Alien, with unscripted behavior of the Alien, feels like you control your fate- when you die, it's because you did something stupid (the vast majority of the time, at least)- you ran and made noise, you caught the attention of a Working Joe that (obviously) didn't care about making noise, you fired a gun and (AGAIN!!) made noise. Stop making noise when there's stomping in the ceiling vents! The stealth feels fair, organic.

TEW is just a ridiculous amount of trial and error. You die over and over and over, and you don't have much chance at all the first time. Maybe not the second, either. Maybe you survive the third, at best. Doesn't help that the controls and mechanics are archaic, on purpose.

I'm still oddly intrigued by it, can't quite quit playing, but TEW really isn't very good. The above is primarily what I don't like about it.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
TEW is a fantastic game, the more i play it the more i like it. Just want to finish my first run to play it all over again.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
don't call it a comeback

Is this the first game Mikami had his name on since RE4?

How has the dude been eating and paying his rent for the past 9 years????

Purchase deleted.

Ouch!