Magician Lord: A secret is revealed (after 23 years)

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Awesome! I never knew you could multi-jump, but I was usually too busy getting murdered by frogs anyway.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Cool find, now if I could only afford this game.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
And the price for Magician Lord MVS just jumped 50%...

Arcade Magician

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Stage 1 Easter egg
magiclordsecrets.jpg

Last edited:

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
How convenient. Just after I bought one...
I´ll probably wake up soon.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
cant have sounds on this work puter... so how do you actually pull it off? looks like he is firing while jumping all the time?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
/me waits for Dion to pop into this thread saying he discovered this in the 90's.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Whaaaaaa???? That's crazy! I have to try that scrolling through the wall trick. I can't believe you can double jump. Awesome find!!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I can't reproduce this on MVS. I guess the timing is super-strict, because I can't seem to get it to happen.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I can't reproduce this on MVS. I guess the timing is super-strict, because I can't seem to get it to happen.

Yeah, I tried it the other night on my home cart. Can't figure it out... either that or I have slow reflexes, which could totally be the issue here for me. ;)

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The uploader* says it was done with the CD version.

(*by which I mean AM)

Translated instructions from NeoGeoKult:
Double Jump: Press jump and shoot with a very slight shift (jump slightly before firing), then again when the first shot is fired. The timing window is very tight! Note: This trick only works with Elta, Shinobi and Waterman (easier to do with it).

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
And the price for Magician Lord MVS just jumped 50%...
Pun intended or not, SNKorSWM is gonna be pissed you beat him to the punch...

Also, it seems with this new double-jump discovery, people can no longer complain about the double-jump in the MD Shinobi titles ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Weird. I knew about the double jump thing as I did it by accident using the water guy before but I never thought to exploit it and go up walls and stuff.

You just made Magician Lord the Super Mario of the Neo Geo.

Time for some tricks.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Pun intended or not, SNKorSWM is gonna be pissed you beat him to the punch...

Also, it seems with this new double-jump discovery, people can no longer complain about the double-jump in the MD Shinobi titles ;)

Now why would I be pissed when the value of my cart just jumped by 50%? XD

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
The uploader* says it was done with the CD version.

(*by which I mean AM)

Translated instructions from NeoGeoKult:
Double Jump: Press jump and shoot with a very slight shift (jump slightly before firing), then again when the first shot is fired. The timing window is very tight! Note: This trick only works with Elta, Shinobi and Waterman (easier to do with it).

Ok I can confirm this double-jump trick works perfectly on my non-modded JP AES, using a variation of the above quoted method using Elta.

Surprisingly for something hidden for so long, it's not difficult... I was able to successfully double-jump using my first life right at the beginning of Stage 1, with no practice necessary. Just quickly tapped A-then-B about 1/10th seconds apart, three times in quick succession. i.e. A,B,A,B,A,B sometimes with 1/4 second pause after the first A,B. When successful, my blue magician hat leaves the top of the screen, at the opening screen of Stage 1, which is not possible with a normal jump. Amazing secret! Congrats to the OP for finding this.

Last edited: